PDA

View Full Version : Wedge Pond (Kananaskis) Help!

fishingmaster2097
04-19-2012, 05:25 PM
I will be going to Mt. Kidd on May Long Weekend, and the closest fishing pond will be Wedge Pond. (If anyone else knows of any other pond/river.lake nearer to there, please tell.) And I tried there before and I know there is grayling there.

Does anybody have any tips on how to catch those beauty's?
What works the best?
Bait Ban or No?
When is the best time/place on the lake to fish?

I will try and do some research on it and find out some infoo.

Thank-You,
FishingMaster2097:fishing:

Guitarplayingfish
04-19-2012, 05:39 PM
The Kananaskis river runs through the back of Mt. Kidd.. don't know the regs, but that could be a possibility.

Wedge pond is a nice area.. I have heard it is prone to winterkills though, but not sure.

Good luck!

Scott N
04-19-2012, 06:01 PM
I have fished Wedge Pond quite a few times over the years. While I have caught a few fish on spinning gear (I seemed to have the best luck on the smallest Len Thompson orange & white spoon), I have had far more success flyfishing. Not a flyfisherperson? Buy an adjust-a-bubble type float and use your spinning gear. Try using fairly small (size 14 or 16) nymphs such as the pheasant tail, gold ribbed hare's ear, prince nymph, or a chironomid pattern.

Bait ban? Yes there is one.

fishingmaster2097
04-19-2012, 06:21 PM
well...I dont normally fly-fish, but I do have an adjust-a-bubble float. I just don't know what fly is which. Where would you buy the smallest len thompson ornage and white? Canadian Tire? Ill check it out. I wonder if Panther Martins or Blue Fox spinners would work... I don't know...I spinfish so.. Do you think they would...:confused:

fishstix
04-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Fish the river at opal. Lots of good holes. Not the best fishing river but its a nice alternative to the pond. The river is open april 1.

Mariko's Rod
04-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Have you tried Mt Lorette ponds? I think it is near wedge. Used to fish there as a kid. the pond closest to the picnic area was always best.

fishingmaster2097
04-19-2012, 06:46 PM
what would you use there at the river at opal? What fish are in there? What kind of fish are in Lillian Lake beside it (if there is any?)

fishingmaster2097
04-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Yeah I've tried it once. Nothing though. Whats best to use there? Im taking a friend and hes never fished and I want him to catch some

Woolly Bugger
04-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Is the ice off ?

Wedge Pond:

Bait Ban
Catch and Release

Check the regulations as you seem uncertain where and what you want to fish for.

fishingmaster2097
04-19-2012, 07:02 PM
i think so i dont know

Mariko's Rod
04-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Check the regs on Lorretts as far as bait and catch limits. It was worms and cheese back in the day. you couldnt miss.

rossi
04-20-2012, 06:58 AM
Was at Kananaskis last week lake still frozen, but was the ice was looking pretty rotten. By the time you get there it should be good.

South end of Barrier lake was open.

Mt Lorrette pond is open but do not know if it has been stocked yet. Does not take long for it to be fished out.

marlin1
04-20-2012, 07:45 AM
I'd go try lower lake or upper , may get something decent

fishingmaster2097
04-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Was at Kananaskis last week lake still frozen, but was the ice was looking pretty rotten. By the time you get there it should be good.

South end of Barrier lake was open.

Mt Lorrette pond is open but do not know if it has been stocked yet. Does not take long for it to be fished out.

Ok Thanks for the update! Hopefully it will be. Does anyone know any tips about Lillian Lake there beside wedge?

fishingmaster2097
04-20-2012, 07:47 AM
I'd go try lower lake or upper , may get something decent

No Boat though, it would be hard to catch something from the shore, but I might give it a try.

Dfish
04-20-2012, 11:49 AM
well...I dont normally fly-fish, but I do have an adjust-a-bubble float. I just don't know what fly is which. Where would you buy the smallest len thompson ornage and white? Canadian Tire? Ill check it out. I wonder if Panther Martins or Blue Fox spinners would work... I don't know...I spinfish so.. Do you think they would...:confused:

Just google the names of the flies. The adjustabubble can be pretty helpful. Before I got my first fly rod, I used them all the time with flies. Good luck and have fun! Let us know how it goes.

fishingmaster2097
04-20-2012, 12:59 PM
sure will!

marlin1
04-20-2012, 01:00 PM
lillian is about a 7k hike , not thinking that one would be ice free yet . The one I fished was no where near Wedge though . There is another lake even further up from Lillian called Galatea sp? the trail head is Galatea I believe

bowness
04-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Mt. lorette is stocked usually the first week of May and has easy access right off the road.

jts1
04-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Mt. lorette is stocked usually the first week of May and has easy access right off the road.

And then fished out 32 hrs later. Should be a zero limit unless you're a child or handicapped.

Sundancefisher
04-20-2012, 11:03 PM
And then fished out 32 hrs later. Should be a zero limit unless you're a child or handicapped.

Yup...or catch and release for all the adults and one fish per child at the very least. Spread them out longer. I heard the adults hit it and clean it out in a week.

Kingfisher
04-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Yup...or catch and release for all the adults and one fish per child at the very least. Spread them out longer. I heard the adults hit it and clean it out in a week.

No kidding. I agree totally. This should be a catch and release with only 1 limit per child under 16 or handicap people. But as usual there will be a million people out there for the harvest.

Rob

jts1
04-21-2012, 12:30 AM
Have seen guys in full waders with a thousand dollars worth of rod and reel lined up shoulder to shoulder fishing it. It was made for easy access to be able to get elderly, kids and wheelchairs right up to the water. One of the few around like that. Prime example of a place that needs a regulation change.

jacenbeers
04-21-2012, 11:09 AM
They reduced the catch limit to two fish instead of five but that hasn't had a positive impact on how fast it gets fished out. Last year I went there with my fly rod to have a fun day playing with rainbows and there were a couple of guys on the far side keeping every single one they caught.

kinwahkly
04-21-2012, 11:34 AM
I used to take my kids there when they were little, always lots of people keeping way to many fish out of there, always get @#$%^* off when i go there, so I dont.