PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon study

WayneChristie
04-19-2012, 08:22 PM
I guess there was a meeting in Brooks on the 17 but as usual didnt find out about it until it was too late. searched google and found this article.
http://www.uleth.ca/notice/display.html?b=300&s=16412 if anyone hears about another meeting please post it up.

Geezle
04-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Interesting read for sure...I'd love to attend such a meeting and learn more about the dinos :cool:

hunted
04-20-2012, 08:34 AM
It was posted in the brooks newspapers. I was busy and could not go.

WayneChristie
04-20-2012, 05:17 PM
yah I got the paper the day after. I emailed her, she may do another meeting sometime in Dinosaur park, said she will keep me informed. if I hear about a meeting I will post it here.

PEIslander
04-22-2012, 07:08 PM
I was there. It was interesting, but a little light in terms of content. I have a terrible memory, but here goes...

Study area is Oldman River from the weir upstream of Lethbridge, to the Forks. The Bow from the Bassano Dam to the Forks. The South Sask from the Forks all the way to Lake Diefenbaker.

Caught and tagged 20 or so Sturgeon in the first season, mostly (2010) juveniles from the river along CFB Suffield. Second season (2011) fished a variety of spots in the study area and tagged 40 or so, mix of adults and juveniles. Most effective bait so far has been plain old worms, then small crayfish.

Fish are implanted with a radio telemetry transmitter as well as a PIT tags and a FLOY tags. 80 or so receivers/data loggers placed on the bottom of the rivers in the study area that can detect the radios tags in the implanted sturgeon from 200m away. Loggers are pulled twice a year to collect data.

Some of the results so far, come fish have made it past the weir in Lethbridge, no fish have headed up the Red Deer yet (she thinks it may more shallow and silty than they like), some fish stay put all year others use the entire length of the study area.

It a long term study involving the U of L, DFO and SRD, it will keep going even when her Master's is done.

That's about all I can remember off hand.

- Dan

WayneChristie
04-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks very much Dan, thats pretty much the same as what Terry Clayton told us in Medicine Hat. looks like they are breeding well anyways. wonder if the researchers get a ticket for using crayfish for bait? :thinking-006:

the local angler
04-22-2012, 08:13 PM
i was thinking the same thing wayne about the crayfish.lol

PEIslander
04-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks very much Dan, thats pretty much the same as what Terry Clayton told us in Medicine Hat. looks like they are breeding well anyways. wonder if the researchers get a ticket for using crayfish for bait? :thinking-006:

i was thinking the same thing wayne about the crayfish.lol

LOL, I think she's safe. The scientific license they fish under affords them alot of liberties.

In one pic she had about half a dozen rods on shore fishing at the same time. They've tired longlining too, but it wasn't as effective as fishing from shore.

Neat study all and all. Would be a fun way to get a Master's!

Guitarplayingfish
04-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Thats the job I was aiming to get this year, but Estiaan has priority and is taking it again.. I mean, who wouldn't?! That would be an amazing job.