PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Fishing for MORE Suckers: Yes, really.

spaghetti
04-20-2012, 06:05 AM
So,

I've become quite fond of this fish for a few reasons, but I'm not here to chew your guyses ear's over how Great they are.

I'm mostly after any tidbits or advice you guys could give me to get these fish on my hook more often.

So far I've been using: Bread/dough ball and those fake 2-4 inch worm, jiggy, thingies.

Though I was on a little outing today and heard that they really liked Black licorice of all things.

Anyway: You guys have any Secrets techniques, lures, or whatever that'll keep those suckers biting, er.. sucking?

WayneChristie
04-20-2012, 06:47 AM
nothing but the real thing. :) they love worms, I catch them all summer when using worms for sturgeon, just make sure they are legal where you are fishing. we used to catch them by the dozen in Calgary when you could use bait. I even caught the odd one on a jig and minnow last summer. I enjoy catching them myself, they put up a great fight in heavy current and they get pretty big in my area

Pikecrazed
04-20-2012, 07:37 AM
nothing but the real thing. :) they love worms, I catch them all summer when using worms for sturgeon, just make sure they are legal where you are fishing. we used to catch them by the dozen in Calgary when you could use bait. I even caught the odd one on a jig and minnow last summer. I enjoy catching them myself, they put up a great fight in heavy current and they get pretty big in my area

Small flies with rice crispy can't go wrong

fishingmaster2097
04-20-2012, 07:49 AM

Where In Calgary did you go
I also have fun catching those suckers :)

Alberta Bigbore
04-20-2012, 08:28 AM
I like Premium High Performance Nightcrawlers. Super charged sucker fishing. Lol

Shawnlh
04-20-2012, 12:00 PM
At Reesor lake last year, fishing the rocks on the west end of the dam. Using brown, black or olive green micro jigs, retrieving as slowly as possible, basically bouncing the jig off the tops of the rocks. I was getting a sucker on almost every cast. Although 1 out of 10 would be a trout. The sucker population there is ridiculous.

WayneChristie
04-20-2012, 05:15 PM
At Reesor lake last year, fishing the rocks on the west end of the dam. Using brown, black or olive green micro jigs, retrieving as slowly as possible, basically bouncing the jig off the tops of the rocks. I was getting a sucker on almost every cast. Although 1 out of 10 would be a trout. The sucker population there is ridiculous.

looks like Reesor falls under general regs, looks like a trip to fill the freezer with pike bait for next winter is in order!

spaghetti
04-21-2012, 12:00 AM

Where in calgary were you reeling them in by the dozen?

Maybe we could trade sweet spots or location info.

How big are we talking about anyway?

I think the biggest I've ever "seen" was maybe 2ft long 'ish and 10lbs!

BeeGuy
04-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Where in calgary were you reeling them in by the dozen?

Maybe we could trade sweet spots or location info.

How big are we talking about anyway?

I think the biggest I've ever "seen" was maybe 2ft long 'ish and 10lbs!

10lbs?!?!?

I'd have that trophy on the wall chasing my 18.75lb walleye mount!

Dust1n
04-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Bouncing BIG glow jigs off the dock landed me a huge sucker fish but If im at a river or creek i nymph for them. Waskasoo creek has lots.

BGSH
04-21-2012, 08:41 PM
you dont need to go all fancy for suckers, just put a worm on drop it in and you will have a sucker on in five minutes.

Greasemonkey
04-21-2012, 08:52 PM
If you want to see a lot of suckers or catch a lot it's a long drive but go to obed lake west of Edson go right to where the creek goes out to summit lake and you will see suckers in the thousands, oh go there in mid June also can catch a lot of perch in that lake as well see schools of hundreds in the shallows catch your limit in 5 mins flat

snortwheez
04-21-2012, 09:03 PM
The only time I fish for sucker is in the spring when I need cut bait for channel cats.
I have heard they are excellent eating though.

coyotezh
04-21-2012, 09:26 PM
:thinking-006::thinking-006::thinking-006:

spaghetti
04-21-2012, 09:47 PM
The only time I fish for sucker is in the spring when I need cut bait for channel cats.
I have heard they are excellent eating though.

There are channel catfish in Alberta?!

SonnyJ
04-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Suckers is not a good name for them...

I prefer to call them Whistling Trout. :sHa_shakeshout:

snortwheez
04-21-2012, 10:11 PM
There are channel catfish in Alberta?!
I'm located in Southern Ontario

BeeGuy
04-21-2012, 10:13 PM
So,

I've become quite fond of this fish for a few reasons, but I'm not here to chew your guyses ear's over how Great they are.

I'm mostly after any tidbits or advice you guys could give me to get these fish on my hook more often.

So far I've been using: Bread/dough ball and those fake 2-4 inch worm, jiggy, thingies.

Though I was on a little outing today and heard that they really liked Black licorice of all things.

Anyway: You guys have any Secrets techniques, lures, or whatever that'll keep those suckers biting, er.. sucking?

You ever fish for mountain whitefish? good times...

spaghetti
04-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Alright Guys!

I'm headin' out up to Nose creek up in NE calgary!

Wish me luck, I'll be using: fake worm jibs, bread balls, maybe some spoons.

Argueing over whether to bobber fish or to just let it sink with a few weights and drag against the bottom.

Redfrog
04-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Are you planning to eat these suckers?

walking buffalo
04-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Alright Guys!

I'm headin' out up to Nose creek up in NE calgary!

Wish me luck, I'll be using: fake worm jibs, bread balls, maybe some spoons.

Argueing over whether to bobber fish or to just let it sink with a few weights and drag against the bottom.

Is Nose Creek open to fishing right now?

 from Bearspaw Dam downstream to Western Headworks
Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir (including the Elbow River below Glenmore
Reservoir).
 CLOSED Apr. 1 to May 31 and Oct. 1 to Nov. 30
 June 1 to Sept. 30 and Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm;
All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5
over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river
from Aug. 16 to Sept. 30.

braxxtonn
04-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Is Nose Creek open to fishing right now?

slip sinker and floating jig head /worm, or p rig with worms

fishpro
04-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Just a heads up, Nose Creek falls under the general regs for ES1. It's both closed and there's no bait allowed.

STREAMS

A. For Streams listed and fish species listed under “ES1 Lake and Stream Listings” starting on this page.
You must follow the regulations stated with each listing.

B. For other ES1 Streams, and tributaries, not included under (A) and for fish species not mentioned at a listed stream.
June 16 to Aug. 31 – Trout limit 2; Cutthroat and Rainbow over 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; (where present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait Ban.
Sept. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout and Mountain Whitefish limit 0; (where present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait Ban.
Nov. 1 to June 15 – CLOSED

spaghetti
04-22-2012, 04:33 PM
slip sinker and floating jig head /worm, or p rig with worms

Fished with line, light bobber, and a floating jig head with a fake juicy nympthy worm jiggy thing.

Just a heads up, Nose Creek falls under the general regs for ES1. It's both closed and there's no bait allowed.

STREAMS

A. For Streams listed and fish species listed under “ES1 Lake and Stream Listings” starting on this page.
You must follow the regulations stated with each listing.

B. For other ES1 Streams, and tributaries, not included under (A) and for fish species not mentioned at a listed stream.
June 16 to Aug. 31 – Trout limit 2; Cutthroat and Rainbow over 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; (where present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait Ban.
Sept. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout and Mountain Whitefish limit 0; (where present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait Ban.
Nov. 1 to June 15 – CLOSED

Well, all the same I didn't catch anything.
Got some sun. Got some excersize.
Caught nothing but Reeds and Snails- lots of snails.

Saw some kids a few years younger then me looking for crayfish.

I think I might try Carburn park pond's on Wenesday though. I know it's open all year.

fishingmaster2097
04-22-2012, 07:24 PM
PM me and tell me how carburn park ponds are, if you don't mind please!:)

the local angler
04-22-2012, 07:58 PM
just a heads up on the regs for carburn park ponds, page 28 of the new regs right hand coluum apparently if follows the regs from the bow now being bait ban. i was kinda surprized when i read it when i renewed my licence.

spaghetti
04-22-2012, 09:29 PM
just a heads up on the regs for carburn park ponds, page 28 of the new regs right hand coluum apparently if follows the regs from the bow now being bait ban. i was kinda surprized when i read it when i renewed my licence.

Yep!

Bait Ban.

Open All year round.

Illegally introduced yellow perch and pike.

I hear the best fishing is the pond closest/facing towards the glenbow or something.

Though, what I'm more concerned about is what Yellow perch will bite on- I may just start a yellow perch thread on monday night before I go out on wenesday.