PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Fly Fishing Question

Levy
04-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Im pretty new to fly fishing and was planning on hitting up a stocked lake back around home at the end of this month. I was also hoping to try my luck fishing at night for Rainbows to. I have heard from several people that the big ones bite at night. Which flies should i be using this early in the year, and should i use different flies at night? Any help appreciated.

uplander
04-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Use chironomids on a strike indicator setup, Using a leach on a sink line works great early season to with a slow retrieval and at night use flys with Abit of tinsel or flash on them to catch the reflection of the moon and using a bloodworm pattern at night can also increase a better contrast for the fish to see.

Levy
04-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Thanks, appreciate the help.

goldscud
04-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Big leech or bait fish pattern might work at night when fish can use their lateral line to find the fly.

Bhflyfisher
04-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Any streamer that pushes water is good at night. I would scout the lake out for drop offs because the bigger fish will push over shoals into the shallows at night.

A 1-3 inch purple leech is a good call on a fly for night time. But night time is usually when I catch "better" sized fish. But my big fish always seem to come on cold rainy days with a slight chop on the water.