PDA

View Full Version : Hardy Demon Reel

TyreeUM
04-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Does anyone own a Hardy Demon Reel? Thinking about purchasing one, just wanted to get some thoughts from someone that owns one.
Thanks.

ReconWilly
04-20-2012, 05:53 PM
also interested, almost bit on a 6 weight last year...

Dust1n
04-20-2012, 09:02 PM
btt Im also interested

ryanheartssteelhead
04-21-2012, 11:38 AM
I had the 9/10/11 as a spey reel. Blew up on a big steelhead. I'm sure they would be great for a trout reel. Great looks.
1-10 rating

Cosmetics - 9

Performance - 5

ReconWilly
04-21-2012, 12:47 PM
I had the 9/10/11 as a spey reel. Blew up on a big steelhead. I'm sure they would be great for a trout reel. Great looks.
1-10 rating

Cosmetics - 9

Performance - 5

Disheartning review, anyone else have similar experiences? maybe time for another look at the islander line up...

cooler
04-21-2012, 01:20 PM
islander would be my choice for a reel if you are fishing for anything that requires more than a 5 weight.

I have had a number of hardy products and they are beautiful aesthetically but not as durable as some of the other products available.

what are you going to be fishing for?

ReconWilly
04-21-2012, 01:23 PM
islander would be my choice for a reel if you are fishing for anything that requires more than a 5 weight.

I have had a number of hardy products and they are beautiful aesthetically but not as durable as some of the other products available.

Trout, steel head, coho, chum, chinook, pike and walleye

cooler
04-21-2012, 01:34 PM
I would go Islander, Tibor, Hatch, Danielson or Galvan. The drags on these brands are very good and should stand up to bigger fish better. All will probably set you back a bit more than a Demon though

TyreeUM
04-21-2012, 01:36 PM
I was more interested in the spare spool options, 25 bucks for a spare spool was quite enticing...

ReconWilly
04-21-2012, 01:38 PM
I would go Islander, Tibor, Hatch, Danielson or Galvan. The drags on these brands are very good and should stand up to bigger fish better. All will probably set you back a bit more than a Demon though

cool and thanks for the suggestions, i've got more reading to do now...

pipercub17
04-21-2012, 02:27 PM

what lol islander dont even have a drag lol :sHa_sarcasticlol:

i got a hardy ultralight and i love it

greylynx
04-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Anyone still run into person using an old Hardy Silex? They were a good reel at one time

slingshotz
04-21-2012, 11:01 PM
I have a Hardy Demon on my Spey but I have yet to catch anything decent on it yet with the Spey rod. I have used it on my heavy 7 wt for trout and it has worked well under some load (nothing huge on it yet). All I know is with my terrible Spey casting form the reel has held up very well and is very smooth when pulling out line.

The plastic interchangeable cartridges are a good idea but I do prefer pulling off the entire metal cassette like other manufacturers.

Hopper
04-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Does anyone own a Hardy Demon Reel? Thinking about purchasing one, just wanted to get some thoughts from someone that owns one.
Thanks.
The hardy Demon is a beautiful reel, I don't think you would be dissapointed. I had a hard time choosing between the Demon, and the Abel which I ended up going with for my 5wt. My bil has the Demon and has not had any problems with it at all. good luck choosing a reel.

TyreeUM
04-22-2012, 05:53 PM
The hardy Demon is a beautiful reel, I don't think you would be dissapointed. I had a hard time choosing between the Demon, and the Abel which I ended up going with for my 5wt. My bil has the Demon and has not had any problems with it at all. good luck choosing a reel.

Thanks Hopper, I am thinking about just pulling the trigger on this one.