PDA

View Full Version : Drumheller

Josh IVC
03-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Hey all,

Got to head out to Drumheller on Friday but we want to fish for a half day. Haven't fished much out that way - any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks,

dodger
03-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Half way between Horse Shoe Canyon and Drumheller there is a small pot hole lake called Anderson Dam on the left side of highway. You park in the lot and walk in, it's about a 100 yards to the lake/pond. Fish the long narrow part and not the main lake. Stay tight to shore and you should catch some Rainbows. They are mostly 1lbers but there is the odd hog in there. I took the wife there two years ago and she has never held a fishing pole. I casted out a little 5 of diamonds and let her real it in and wham she hooked onto a jumping 5lber. When all was said and done and when we released it she said " that was nice ". No fishing blood in her veins.:lol: Give it a try as it is pretty consistent for action.

Dodger.

mulecrazy
03-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Is there many fishing spots close (30min) to drum? I am thinking of moving there in the fall and am curious.

TundraBuck
03-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Is there many fishing spots close (30min) to drum? I am thinking of moving there in the fall and am curious.

Mule stay in Rocky, way more opportunity!!

Lethalconnection
03-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Mule stay in Rocky, way more opportunity!!

Amen to that

Josh IVC
03-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks, Dodger. I'd heard a bit of Anderson but never fished there. The girlfriend will be with me so it'd be nice to keep her entertained. We'll check it out.

BlueNorther
03-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Severn resevior is only about half an hour from Drum.There's Michichi res. close by also.

Mulestalker
03-20-2008, 12:12 PM
MC,Several stocked ponds nearby,Anderson's dam as mentioned (10min,trout) Severn (30min,trout) Michichi (30min,trout) Mclaren((40mintrout) Carolside (60 min,pike) Blood Indian (75mintrout)....oh and the Red Deer River (100yrds from me)

All major lakes or reservoirs are at least an hour away so if your moving here for the fishing I would say don't bother and the Mule Deer....well haven't seen on of those for years!!!:lol: :lol:

mulecrazy
03-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah I bet there are no mulies in that valley:rolleyes: lol. Sounds not too bad. I have always fished more for pike and walleye but trout are a ton of fun too. A good friend lives in rosemary so crawiling valley isn't too bad of a travel. I am certain I will be moving there. It is too expensive to buy a house in rocky and I am at that point in my life. Why not make the same money there and live cheaper?

Mulestalker
03-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Not sure what houses are worth in Rocky but I would think they would be comparable to Drumheller? Building lots are $80,000+ and an average 25-30 yr old 3 bedroom bungalow would be $220-$275K ,newer houses running from $300-450K . Rosemary would definitely be a lot cheaper as long as you have employment in the area.
Crawling Valley is one of the more productive reservoirs around, lots of Walleye and big chewy's ,one of my favourite spots to fish for sure.

mulecrazy
03-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Been looking on MLS for houses and it is WAY cheaper than rocky. there are actually houses for sale in my price range. Only time will tell!

Jims71duster
03-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Half way between Horse Shoe Canyon and Drumheller there is a small pot hole lake called Anderson Dam on the left side of highway. You park in the lot and walk in, it's about a 100 yards to the lake/pond. Fish the long narrow part and not the main lake. Stay tight to shore and you should catch some Rainbows. They are mostly 1lbers but there is the odd hog in there. I took the wife there two years ago and she has never held a fishing pole. I casted out a little 5 of diamonds and let her real it in and wham she hooked onto a jumping 5lber. When all was said and done and when we released it she said " that was nice ". No fishing blood in her veins.:lol: Give it a try as it is pretty consistent for action.

Dodger.

Hmmmm,,built the highway there last summer and 4 of us fished that pond at least 15 times,,all of us caught 4 fish in total and they averaged 6 inchs long.

dodger
03-22-2008, 06:00 PM
In the summer I only lower the bait with the length of the fishing pole. That's how we got the bigger fish ( 1 lbrs ). Yes there's smaller ones when they stock Anderson but by fall they start putting on a little bit of size. You just have to see the lake late in the day and there are a ton of fish jumping / feeding. But ultimately it's your choice not to go there, I don't mind if everyone stopped fishing there.:)

Dodger.