PDA

View Full Version : Hermitage Pond - Ice Off

CamoDerrick
04-21-2012, 12:18 AM
I through Hermitage Park today, saw that the ice was finally off.

Does anyone know if the ponds get winter killed each year (either completely or partially)? I was wondering if it is worth throwing some hooks in there or is there generally no fish until they restock it in a month or so?

I couldn't see any fish rising, but there is no bugs to feed on the surface right now anyways

waterninja
04-21-2012, 03:20 AM
we were catching bows till late jan. in hermitage then took a break due to weather till middle feb. tried twice middle feb but got skunked. doesn't mean they winterkilled and i'm hopeing some survived. been driving by regularly and don't think the ice is completly off, just covered by flood water. i'll check it out saturday. any that made it through this winter will be 18 inches minumum.

CamoDerrick
04-21-2012, 10:26 AM
The geese were swimming straight across, but yeah it could just be a lot of flood water I guess.
If there is some ice under the top water, it will not last long anyways.

Can't wait to try out my new fly rod

Paul C
04-21-2012, 11:09 AM
The small ponds are ice free

edmonton floater
04-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Me and the lady were just there and all the ponds are ice free.
Threw a line in for awhile but no luck along with three other people
down there.

waterninja
04-21-2012, 07:18 PM
i was there today also. yep the pond is completly ice free. off and on there were 7 people fishing including a fly fisherman around 5:00 p.m. no-one caught a thing. don't know if they survived winter. if anyone does catch at hermitage please post.

CamoDerrick
04-21-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm curious if the amount of people fishing is directly related to this thread. I haven't seen anyone there all spring, and there was 7 tonight?
Maybe they read these posts?

Then again, its not like a trout pond within Edmonton city limits is a secret haha.

Let us know if anyone catches anything. PM works too if your shy :)

horsetrader
04-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Any idea about Vegreville.

dan1
04-22-2012, 11:10 PM
I hope the ice is off! I'm thinking of heading there tomorrow but I live in west Edmonton. Hope it's worth the drive.

dan1
04-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Went today, Ice is off but not a bite in a couple hours this afternoon.