PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Walleye

carterM
04-22-2012, 12:17 PM
I have been having an ongoing "argument" :argue2: with a friend of mine about walleye. Basically, it revolves around the fact that I really can't see the attraction to them. I understand a lot of people really like to eat them. That's one thing. But that doesn't explain at all the amount of people that enjoy going out and catching a bunch of them to release them (nothing against C&R, 95% of the fish I catch go back). I don't find them a whole lot of fun to catch. Where I catch walleye (N.S.R.), you're pretty much going to catch walley or pike. When I hook a fish, I can usually tell immediately. If it feels like reeling in a weight it's probably a walley, whereas a pike will generally be running. The bigger the walleye, the bigger the weight (admitedly I haven't gotten anything over about 4 or 5 lbs).

So honestly, what's the attraction? Am I alone in thinking they fight alot like a boot?

PS. This isn't at all a shot at the folks that enjoy catching them. I'm just curious as to what other people's thoughts are regarding them, as my buddy thinks I'm nuts.

diadromous
04-22-2012, 12:44 PM
My opinion on walleye is that they are an all around good game fish, a good fight, good eating(where you can keep them) and a little more difficult to track down than other species. I haven't done much fishing for them on the rivers, I usually catch them in the central and southern Alberta lakes. In my experience they put up a pretty good fight. I also find that they are a little picky compared to other species, so to track down the big ones your location and presentation have to be spot-on. That is mostly what makes them fun to catch, that you have to spend some time figuring out exactly where and what the walleye are doing to have a succesful day. That's my two cents.

braxxtonn
04-22-2012, 01:30 PM
My opinion on walleye is that they are an all around good game fish, a good fight, good eating(where you can keep them) and a little more difficult to track down than other species. I haven't done much fishing for them on the rivers, I usually catch them in the central and southern Alberta lakes. In my experience they put up a pretty good fight. I also find that they are a little picky compared to other species, so to track down the big ones your location and presentation have to be spot-on. That is mostly what makes them fun to catch, that you have to spend some time figuring out exactly where and what the walleye are doing to have a succesful day. That's my two cents.

I think the best part is when the bite is really ON, and every cast or drop of the jig you hammer them! nothing like hours of non stop action!!

ViperV7
04-22-2012, 01:45 PM
I have been having an ongoing "argument" :argue2: with a friend of mine about walleye. Basically, it revolves around the fact that I really can't see the attraction to them. I understand a lot of people really like to eat them. That's one thing. But that doesn't explain at all the amount of people that enjoy going out and catching a bunch of them to release them (nothing against C&R, 95% of the fish I catch go back). I don't find them a whole lot of fun to catch. Where I catch walleye (N.S.R.), you're pretty much going to catch walley or pike. When I hook a fish, I can usually tell immediately. If it feels like reeling in a weight it's probably a walley, whereas a pike will generally be running. The bigger the walleye, the bigger the weight (admitedly I haven't gotten anything over about 4 or 5 lbs).

So honestly, what's the attraction? Am I alone in thinking they fight alot like a boot?

PS. This isn't at all a shot at the folks that enjoy catching them. I'm just curious as to what other people's thoughts are regarding them, as my buddy thinks I'm nuts.

It's quite obvious that you have never chased after walleye on a lake where they won't come off the bottom, nor have you presude monster pike that reel like a clump of weeds until they see the boat. (I'm talking 15lbs plus pike.)

Not trying to dis slimy slough snake fishermen.

Oh by the way when's the Golden Pike Classic?

fishpro
04-22-2012, 01:45 PM
To me, I don't see them as a very special fish. However, I completely respect the tournament fishermen who have honed their skills to be as successful as they are.

Yes walleye taste good, but the fishing experience for them isn't that spectacular. I have had some very fun days in the past where the bite is truly on, and I've had days where it's difficult to figure them out. Even when catching lots, the fight is minimal for their size, any pike or trout will out fight a walleye twice their size. And when it's difficult to catch them, the things you must figure out don't seem logical to me. For walleye you have to figure out what colour and speed they're interested in that given day, as opposed to trout you will have to figure out what bugs they're specifically feeding on. So while fishing for walleye can be just as technical as any other species, it just doesn't have the same draw for me.

Also the location, I've done some fishing up north in solitude and that was a great experience, but I would much rather be alone fly fishing on a mountain stream surrounded by nature as opposed to on a busy southern or central lake/reservoir. That being said, it can be a lot of fun to have a few guys in a boat hammering fish all day.

Jasonp
04-22-2012, 02:00 PM
It's quite obvious that you have never chased after walleye on a lake where they won't come off the bottom, nor have you presude monster pike that reel like a clump of weeds until they see the boat. (I'm talking 15lbs plus pike.)

Not trying to dis slimy slough snake fishermen.

Oh by the way when's the Golden Pike Classic?

Man, it's like you took this personally.... I for one am the one argueing with Carter all the time on this and find walleye fishing just as fun as Pike and trout.

I am pretty sure he is basically saying he has fun fishing for Pike and Trout more so than walleye because of the fight and he is asking for others opinions.

Why you have to take offense and say "It's quite obvious you have never blah blah blah"

carterM
04-22-2012, 02:03 PM
To me, I don't see them as a very special fish. However, I completely respect the tournament fishermen who have honed their skills to be as successful as they are.

Yes walleye taste good, but the fishing experience for them isn't that spectacular. I have had some very fun days in the past where the bite is truly on, and I've had days where it's difficult to figure them out. Even when catching lots, the fight is minimal for their size, any pike or trout will out fight a walleye twice their size. And when it's difficult to catch them, the things you must figure out don't seem logical to me. For walleye you have to figure out what colour and speed they're interested in that given day, as opposed to trout you will have to figure out what bugs they're specifically feeding on. So while fishing for walleye can be just as technical as any other species, it just doesn't have the same draw for me.

Also the location, I've done some fishing up north in solitude and that was a great experience, but I would much rather be alone fly fishing on a mountain stream surrounded by nature as opposed to on a busy southern or central lake/reservoir. That being said, it can be a lot of fun to have a few guys in a boat hammering fish all day.

This is pretty much exactly the way I feel about it. Walleye aren't the only fish out there that can be picky. If you're looking for a fish that can be a challenge to hook into, I'd prefer to spend the day trying to outsmart a brown trout. It's the same sort of idea where you need to match both the presentation and the lure/fly to what the fish are keying on that day. That part of fishing is fun ya.

It's after the fish is hooked that trout and pike really outshine a walley, imo. To be fair, pike do have an awful tendency to just roll themselves up in the line and then get dragged up to the boat/shore. That does suck...

diadromous
04-22-2012, 02:19 PM
For sure all species can be picky and I enjoy figuring out how to nail all of them. I guess I am just not that set on one species or another, I like lake fishing for walleye as much as I like stream fly fishing for trout. In my mind both can equal a great day on the water, its just a different methodology of figuring out what's going on with the fish.

BigJon
04-22-2012, 05:15 PM
I love catching big walleye...walleye generally don't fight much but a big walleye gets me more excited than anything else....just cause. Looking for the big ones is more like a hunt!

I have said many times that small pike fight alot better than big pike. I have caught a handful of 15-20lbs pike and most of them have a good run at the start then a little freak out beside the boat/shore than it's all over. Still lots of fun though :)

fishinggeek
04-22-2012, 05:28 PM
The bigger the walleye, the bigger the weight (admitedly I haven't gotten anything over about 4 or 5 lbs).

Once you hook a true monster you will be addicted. Hit the 30inch mark, (A true 30incher, not this 28 that looks like a 30 BS) and you will be hooked. Hook a 32+incher:budo: game over for other fish.

here's my personal best last year. What a rush.:sHa_shakeshout:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/walleye005.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/walleye004.jpg

WayneChristie
04-22-2012, 05:49 PM
a fish is a fish is a fish, they all beat a day at work! :sHa_shakeshout:

commieboy
04-22-2012, 06:44 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I was even targeting some whitefish I could see in a shallow pool the other day. Can you imagine.... targeting WHITEFISH?!

WayneChristie
04-22-2012, 06:50 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I was even targeting some whitefish I could see in a shallow pool the other day. Can you imagine.... targeting WHITEFISH?!

I love catching whites, especially rockies.

Walleye01
04-22-2012, 07:35 PM
It is funny that you would rather fish pike or trout, myself i only fish walleye. Every thing else is boring to me. I suppose it is what we each enjoy doing and that is what makes us all individuals.:thinking-006::thinking-006:

Cal
04-22-2012, 08:09 PM
I fish more for walleye than any other fish but I would agree with the OP to some extent, the fight of a big walleye is halfway between that of a small pike and that of a large stick. There is more of an art to catching them than many other game fish and some of the skills involved are more or less exclusive to walleye fishing, I think thats the appeal right there. I do enjoy catching and releasing them but if I lived in a place where I couldnt eat the odd walleye I doubt I would still target them, much like their smaller cousin the perch.

Lambo
04-22-2012, 09:03 PM
I've fished for walleye, pike and trout and I can't say one species fights more than the other. I've found some walleye will fight more than another walleye but that could depend on the lake or river or time of year.

silverdoctor
04-22-2012, 09:15 PM

Yep, I don't care what's at the end of my line either. Even big suckers are lots of fun on a 5 wt.

Course, I don't fish for the sake of catching fish either, just getting out with nature is all i'm concerned about. Catching a fish or two is just the icing on the cake.

carterM
04-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Yep, I don't care what's at the end of my line either. Even big suckers are lots of fun on a 5 wt.

Course, I don't fish for the sake of catching fish either, just getting out with nature is all i'm concerned about. Catching a fish or two is just the icing on the cake.

Ya I haven't really found a fish I wouldn't want to catch. It's not like I'm going to avoid walleye fishing. I just got back from throwing jigs at them in the river about an hour ago. I just wouldn't drive for 4 hours to go fish for them for a day and then drive home at 1 in the morning like I will for a 15 inch cutthroat in a mountain stream.

And I'll also agree with your second statement. If I'm out fishing, I will enjoy it. Although I do seem to have alot more fun not catching fish while fly fishing than not catching fish while spinfishing...odd.

But it seems like the major draw to them is the hunt for them. As there's really a search involved to find the big fish of any species, I'm starting to think that it maybe trends more towards the type of fishing you'd rather do. If you like spending a day on a boat...probably not fishing a stream for trout. If you like bushwacking all day and trying to get to some extremely remote areas...probably not targetting walleye.

Mariko's Rod
04-23-2012, 06:52 AM
Dont get too hung up on the "fight" its more the thrill of the hunt for walleye. theres a lot of tact required to catch walleye successfully. vs. pike. especially in between the morning and evening bite! if you want a better fight, lighten up on the tackle.

silverdoctor
04-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Dont get too hung up on the "fight" its more the thrill of the hunt for walleye. theres a lot of tact required to catch walleye successfully. vs. pike. especially in between the morning and evening bite! if you want a better fight, lighten up on the tackle.

There's not that much tact to catching walleye, so many peeps are very successful with just a jig and a minnow suspended from a boat.

I've had 100 fish days on spoons alone. Gets boring. Much more interesting on lakes with multiple species.

Mariko's Rod
04-23-2012, 08:51 AM
There's not that much tact to catching walleye, so many peeps are very successful with just a jig and a minnow suspended from a boat.

I've had 100 fish days on spoons alone. Gets boring. Much more interesting on lakes with multiple species.

yes when the bite is on anyone can catch walleye. but locating and catching big walleye throught the day, every day requires skill. If you are catching 100 walleyes in a day on a spoon you are probably on a spot and time of day where anyone with a pulse could catch fish. I would be bored too.

huntsfurfish
04-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Walleye tournaments:sHa_shakeshout::)

Challenging species.

If you like to eat fish they are yummy.

Fight is not spectacular but decent.

Some pretty good reasons right there!

Walleye favorite for the above reasons. But I do like to fish for all species.

freeones
04-23-2012, 11:52 AM
I've always wondered the same about stream fishing for trout. That's a lot of gear and effort for a 6-8" fish or maybe 12" if you're lucky. They've got more fight in them pound for pound than a walleye, but they're still really small fish, so it's not much of a fight. I just can't get excited about it.

The reason walleye are such a highly targeted species is that other than a few southern AB lakes/reservoirs where anyone with a pulse can catch 100 fish a day, walleye fishing is very challenging, especially finding BIG walleye. Walleye fishing is also a finesse style of fishing, which I really like. It's those things that keep me in the game. I also like to be out on the boat and cover lots of water.

CantThinkOfAName
04-23-2012, 12:24 PM
I find it interesting that everyone so far agrees walleye don't fight. My experiences so far have taught me that walleye fight way harder than pike. Maybe it's because I'll usually catch the aggressive walleye using a crank, but they'll usually take a few runs on me... lots of pike are like reeling in a log.
My other opinion for why walleye are popular is the combo of taste and challenge. I don't care much about either, don't eat what I catch and I'm out there just to fish, try somthing new, learn something, have fun.

commieboy
04-23-2012, 01:45 PM
I love catching whites, especially rockies.

My opinion on whites has actually gone up. Great fish on the Bow in winter. They seem to have a bit more fight to them.

Smokey
04-23-2012, 01:56 PM
I like all fish. Me and the cousin once hooked into a pool of suckers at Lake Deifenbaker, was catching them every other cast, was a hoot. Catching Jack all day, or Walleye all day can be boring. Its nice to have a variety.

Darren N
04-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Maybe we ham up catching a walleye over other fish in consideration that 20 years ago there seemed to be less (in my opinion) walleye around and it was more of a treat to catch one. Maybe it's where I fish on the NSR but I catch 10 walleye to one pike and now I get excited catching a pike. Pigeon lake is another example... I kinda agree we give walleye a bigger rating than we should. Nothing wrong with the fish, but for whatever reason it gets more press time.

BGSH
04-23-2012, 03:39 PM
I love walleye, they look awsome, beautiful colors and you dont always catch a walleye as i only have seen 3 others land walleye this year on the river so far, have not seen a sauger yet.

YeeHaw
04-23-2012, 04:29 PM
I love walleye, they look awsome, beautiful colors and you dont always catch a walleye as i only have seen 3 others land walleye this year on the river so far, have not seen a sauger yet.

Sounds like a race to get the first Sauger.:sHa_shakeshout:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Walleye fishing is almost as great as Catfish fishing and I love catfish fishing .
There really isnt a fish Id bat my line at , just set the hook and for for a run .
There is defenetly a differnace between a walleye and a Monster walleye like FishingGeek says once you hook into a monster youll never go back , but you gotta get threw to them , I like the fact that it takes a little work to catch them and even funner when you really gotta work for them .

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/c4c3d685.jpg

voidspace
04-23-2012, 05:03 PM
I've had both walleye and sauger out of the nsr this year.

chubbdarter
04-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Its the challenge of catching BIG eyes in southern alberta for me that is alluring.

Luckily the lakes i visit to catch bigger than average Eyes are not overly popular and give me some degree of peace and quiet.

Sure there are lakes where walleyes are suicidal and numersous but those water bodies rarely cough up Big Eyes, therefore are not even on my radar. These bodies of water are not part of a Big eye hunters equation.

Big Eyes are a real challenge especially in impoundments here in Southern AB.

I fish the Bow for trout often for the exercise but unless i go down to Arrowood its hardly peacefull or as some would say a chance to experience the whole get out and enjoy nature thing. The river stinks at best and the civilization is always very near. If i put it in perspectiuve its still a challenge as i consider a 26 inch plus Bow river trout to a 9lb + Eye. Catching 16inch trout and toothless wonders one after another is like the 100 little walleye a day lakes.

I have in recently challenged myself to go baitless for walleyes and its something i should of done years ago as i dont have enough days left in my life to master it.

I like the chase and the equipment involved to chase Eyes also.

Just my opinion, with repsect to what every individual finds important in their fishing.

chubbdarter
04-23-2012, 06:47 PM
P.S. to my original post

I also get get as much pleasure developing new fly patterns for Trout as much as tuning cranks for planer board fishing for Eyes.

I guess its the challenge i like most of fishing

I do fish many other waters for trout and its a combination of true wilderness and fish size that determines the water i fish.

YUP i do enjoy eating a Eye over a Trout, the fight of a 10 lb eye is more attractive to me than a 24in trout to keep things relative.

This will raise the hair on alot of people......I WOULD TRADE EDMONTON RIVERS IN A HEART BEAT...LOL, FLAME AWAY.

pelada trochu
04-23-2012, 07:26 PM
i like walleye better to eat than most fish, they dont stink like a whitefish, they arent slime monsters like pike. they are sorta like large perch. but the upside is you can find 15 pound walleyes. course ive never caught anything big but i have never tried that much for the big ones.

eg. if i go for 40 lb pike. i might go all year to come close to getting one as there are so few of them. not sure about the distribution of big eyes but i 2would assume they are pretty rare.

there is a balance i dont want to fish all day for one fish that is average size.
i would fish all day to catch a monster though. i never consider it agood day fishing if you get skunked.

Cal
04-23-2012, 08:40 PM

Alot of guys who fish places like PCR and Pigion lake seem to think like this. Get onto a body of water where the fish species populate the lake in more natural ratios and things can be very different. The allure of walleye is much the same as trout in that they can both require fairly specialized tactics to catch them that are more or less unique to the species.

BigJon
04-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Its the challenge of catching BIG eyes in southern alberta for me that is alluring.

Luckily the lakes i visit to catch bigger than average Eyes are not overly popular and give me some degree of peace and quiet.

Sure there are lakes where walleyes are suicidal and numersous but those water bodies rarely cough up Big Eyes, therefore are not even on my radar. These bodies of water are not part of a Big eye hunters equation.

Big Eyes are a real challenge especially in impoundments here in Southern AB.

I fish the Bow for trout often for the exercise but unless i go down to Arrowood its hardly peacefull or as some would say a chance to experience the whole get out and enjoy nature thing. The river stinks at best and the civilization is always very near. If i put it in perspectiuve its still a challenge as i consider a 26 inch plus Bow river trout to a 9lb + Eye. Catching 16inch trout and toothless wonders one after another is like the 100 little walleye a day lakes.

I have in recently challenged myself to go baitless for walleyes and its something i should of done years ago as i dont have enough days left in my life to master it.

I like the chase and the equipment involved to chase Eyes also.

Just my opinion, with repsect to what every individual finds important in their fishing.

Lunker City Fin-S Fish and Fin-S Shad....but especially the Fin-S Fish. Solid white colour. I have caught more walleye with these plastics than any other artificial. I have a stash of 3" ones left but I see these are no longer available. I usally fish them off a 1/4 ounce pink jig...but really I don't think the jig colour matters.

I also have a stash of 4" Bass Assasin strait tail shad...there brown and gray with a red tail...haven't seen them available for years but they are a fav....

When walleye are especially aggressive I have done real good with Rapala Husky Jerks...the gold/black colour and the "Tenesee Shad" colour.

Fun times! I can't wait to get out this year!