PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo Fly Rod

highsummit
04-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Just picked up a bamboo fishing fly rod from a friend.

Are they worth anything?

Its in alright shape but does need to be restored. Any help on who does this kind of work in southern Alberta or close to Brooks.

Thanks.

uplander
04-22-2012, 03:40 PM
If it was in Good shape it has the potential to be worth alot of money, If you get it restored and your a fly fisher you should hang on to it there a blast to fish with. If you can find out the details on the rod I.e: make,model,brand you could find how much it may be worth online.

highsummit
04-22-2012, 03:45 PM
unfortunetly there is no markings on it. However it is in alright shape. I just want it restored/repair so that I can use it all the time. Need to find someone who does this kind of work

ReconWilly
04-22-2012, 04:10 PM
pm Don Anderson,Lornce or gilbertslake, or do a search, there was an awesome thread recently, within the last month.

greylynx
04-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Older Cane rods require treatment in our dry Alberta climate. Check into that aspect also.

Those Bamboos are pretty cool items.

Lornce
04-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Bamboo fly rods can be valuable but only if they are of certain brands, some where made light years better than others. I have collected quite a few rods and reels. Bamboo rods can be valued in the thousands, others make excellent tomato stakes if sharpened nicely. Can't count the number of people who have contacted me through my web site or friends for an appraisals of Grandpa's rod they found in the attic, absolutely sure the it was worth a huge fortune. If it is unmarked it may have been refinished which would destroy any value or it may have been an inexpensive product originally and not worth much in today's market.

It's not just the rod but other factors, does it have it's original bag, rod tube and instructions. What is the finish like, is there wear, all count a lot like vintage books records or other antiques.

you can usually tell the brand and quality somewhat by the materials and quality used in the cane construction, handle, ferrules etc. Most of the valuable brands where pricy originally so the average guy wouldn't normally buy one. Pictures would certainly help you can post here pm me or Don Anderson who builds a beautiful product and has a great knowledge of classic cane.

cheers

Lornce
04-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Older Cane rods require treatment in our dry Alberta climate. Check into that aspect also.

Those Bamboos are pretty cool items.

Quality cane does not require any special treatment in Alberta. Fish it and dry it off before putting away. That's it. I have rods from the '20's that are in better shape than some modern rods I own.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq127/LornceLornce/DSC00507.jpg