PDA

View Full Version : Canmore this weekend

Rumtan
04-23-2012, 09:11 AM
We are heading to Canmore this weekend......problem is I am not exactly sure were is best to try fly fishing....the regs say that the Bow is open there. Is it worth fishing around there? If you would like to meet up down there let me know....theres always room for more fishermen/women.

Murray

jacenbeers
04-23-2012, 10:07 AM
If you park on the highway where the Bow River flows underneath Hwy 1, there are some great runs in there that hold trout. It is pretty deep in spots so you might want sinking line.

Rumtan
04-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks jacenbeers I appreciate all the help I can get. This will be a fun trip.

pipercub17
04-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Grotto pond is always good if the bow isn't fishing good

Rumtan
04-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks...I looked it up in the regs its a stocked pond, were is it in relation to Canmore?

pipercub17
04-23-2012, 10:59 AM
It's on the old banff road just south east of town
About 10k on the left side

Rumtan
04-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks pipeercub17 ..... I appreciate your help.

Rumtan
04-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Anyone else going to be around Canmore this weekend?

Okotokian
04-25-2012, 08:56 AM
I started exactly the same thread two weeks ago when I went to Canmore. Here you go:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=128988

By the way, I tried just below the power plant before it enters the Bow. Skunked.

Rumtan
04-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks Okotokian, sounds like a tough fish but should be fun.

Okotokian
04-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks Okotokian, sounds like a tough fish but should be fun.

LOL, well just because I got skunked doesn't necessarily mean the fishing is tough. ;)

Darren N
04-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Try the flat creek coming out of the power plant going towards the river. Small ones in there but they do go after a dry.

Rumtan
04-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks Darren N, should be worth a try.

Darren N
04-25-2012, 11:47 AM

No worries. Let me know how you do. I'm going mid July. PS - it can be tough and I have been skunked at times as well on the river.

uplander
04-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Go to the Canmore golf course fish that stretch lots of deep water and lots of fish... Everyone fishes the plant and the rail bridge but there's better spots you will find on your own explorations.

Rumtan
04-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks uplander......is access allowed from the golf course?

the local angler
04-25-2012, 03:59 PM
if you plan to hit the bow right at the bridge below canmore i am not sure how you would get down there cause they put up those fences that i call tennis court fence cause they are really high, to direct wildlife to better places to cross the highway. i was trying to hit that spot last week and even tried the the so called campground side by the motels and there was a metal gate across the road saying its closed. normally i would park near the bridge and just walk down but not sure where to park and get access.

uplander
04-25-2012, 07:46 PM
if you plan to hit the bow right at the bridge below canmore i am not sure how you would get down there cause they put up those fences that i call tennis court fence cause they are really high, to direct wildlife to better places to cross the highway. i was trying to hit that spot last week and even tried the the so called campground side by the motels and there was a metal gate across the road saying its closed. normally i would park near the bridge and just walk down but not sure where to park and get access.

You can open the fence with your hands it's really easy if you walk up to the fence you'll see what I mean and as for accessing at the golf course I park on larch ave (look on google maps you'll get a better look) then I walk out to the river.

Rumtan
04-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Great...thanks for the help, will let you know how it goes when we get back.

Rumtan
04-30-2012, 08:09 AM
We met up with bezner (a fellow AO member) and had an absolute blast ! There were 4 of us that went fly fishing and 3 went skiing but what perfect weather....WOW ! The Bow was low but crystal clear at the bridge, bezner may have a pic or two? He was a great guide and we couldnt say enough on how well he did showing us around and helping repair gear that became knotted. We hit spots on 4 different bodies of water.....what a good time ! Thanks bezner for putting up with our motley crew !