PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Saskatchewan

edmonton floater
04-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Hello all,
So me and the lady had made plans to head to Jasper for May long weekend as we do every year, but we figured that we would change it up this year and head somewhere in southern Saskatchewan for a change.
Neither of us has ever been anywhere in Saskatchewan except to drive threw it.
Just wondering if anyone has any info on any good camping and fishing there?
Thanks

Agb Crash
04-23-2012, 09:08 PM
I would head toward meadow lake Provincial park, In my experience among the best offering in sask

Crash

NSRfishing
04-23-2012, 09:45 PM
I would head toward meadow lake Provincial park, In my experience among the best offering in sask

Crash

been going there every may long weekend for three years now

Freeride101
04-23-2012, 11:51 PM
Definafely meadow lake! Really nice area, and good fishing to boot!

calgarychef
04-24-2012, 05:11 AM
We always used to go to Waterhen in Meadow lake provincial park, I haven't been for a few years but it's on my list to go to soon. They have some nice rustic cabins, not too nice if you know what I mean...it's fishing after all. Bring a boat or rent one of theirs, if you decide to go PM me and I'll tell you my favorite spots. You should also go try at the "old bridge" all the locals can tell you where it is. The fishing's not as good as on the lake but it's nice to fish from shore sometimes. My brother in law went diving at the old bridge and found a submerged tree that he said "looked like a christmas tree with all the hooks on it." Probably had a few of mine on it too! If you ask the owners nicely they can show you where they dump the fish guts and you can go in the evening to spot bears, especially cool with the kids or a girlfriend!

edmonton floater
04-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the info guys!
How would a float tube fair on Meadow Lake?
And has anyone ever hit up Tobin Lake? I heard that some monster walleye hide in there?

Yéil
04-24-2012, 10:03 AM
We're heading over to Sufferin Lake. Nice little campground, lake is good for trout, golf course and the facilities are good... just don't fill up with their water, stains the tanks an orange colour.

Stewie
04-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the info guys!
How would a float tube fair on Meadow Lake?
And has anyone ever hit up Tobin Lake? I heard that some monster walleye hide in there?

There are a couple of smaller lakes in Meadow Lake Provincial Park that a float tube would be fine on... Vivian Lake or Rusty Lake

lannie
04-24-2012, 11:03 AM
You said southern Saskatchewan. If that is the zone you desire what about Lake Diefenbaker ? I have never fished it but it sure would be a consideration for me. You would also be able to get a few great suggestions/ directions for success from this board. So many different species to target too. It is a one of a kind fishery.

edmonton floater
04-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Lake Diefenbaker does look like an intense fishery!
It is massive and might be a blast to take the float tube out on.
Just to find a nice calm spot to anchor down and spend a few hours.

Flyfisher87
04-24-2012, 06:05 PM
We're heading over to Sufferin Lake. Nice little campground, lake is good for trout, golf course and the facilities are good... just don't fill up with their water, stains the tanks an orange colour.

Someone a few years ago pulled a 14lb rainbow out of there. I used to fish there a lot. Biggest I caught there was an 8. Not a bad little lake to flyfish either if you have a float tube.

Flyfisher87
04-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Used to spend a lot of time fishing in the Loon Lake/ Little Fishing Lake area and other lakes such as Ministkewan, Bronson, Brightsand, and Turtle. Have had excellent success at all of these lakes.

Wile E.
04-24-2012, 08:30 PM
It'll take you a while to drive to Diefenbaker, but if you go to the north east end of the lake, there is a campsite called Douglas Park. There is a small community beside it called Elbow that has a few amenities. There is a pretty nice marina there with an 18 hole golf course, etc. There are some small bays along the shore that you can hide out in to avoid the wind, but in the spring, the water level will be low, so you may not be able to get a boat into them. There are other "parks" on various parts of the lake too. This is just one that may be a bit closer for you. BTW, walleye and pike are plentiful and should be jumping into your boat. There is also a guy that guides for walleye over by lucky lake too.