PDA

View Full Version : Guide me in the right direction

FlareKing
04-23-2012, 08:28 PM
So.............. I have lived in AB for 6 years now and have yet to toss a line in the water. I need a little help.

1. I do not even know what types of fish are in AB

2. I do not know what they eat.

I live in Red Durr. Can someone tell me where I can go within an hour and what to put on the end of my line. Please help a guy out. Oh, catch and release too please. I do not have kids but I am sure some of you guys do. I like to leave fish for everyone to enjoy!!!

npauls
04-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Head down to a tackle shop and grab a fishing license and a regs book. Take a look through there at the area you want to fish. It should give you a good idea of what is around.

If you want to stick close to town and you say you live in red deer try out the river. I am sure there is plenty of fish around there. You just have to check and see what sections are open for fishing right now and what you are able to use in each section as far as bait goes.

FlareKing
04-23-2012, 08:39 PM
I was thinking someone at the sportsmen den might help me out, maybe I will swing by there tomorrow.

Kokanee9
04-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Always a good idea to check in at the local shops.

Mikezilk
04-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Shoot me an email.

camo_consulting@live.ca

I fish tons here and can give you some spots and gear ideas.

Okotokian
04-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Pick up Barry Mitchell's annual Alberta fishing guide. It has info on what is in nearly every body of water, how to access it, etc. It's published every year, though it doesn't change too much from year to year. But it's a great resource to start out with. You can get it at pretty much any outdoor or fishing store, including Canadian Tire. Costs about $10

fishermansfriend
04-24-2012, 02:17 PM
You can fish TONS around red deer for pike, goldeye, walleye and trout.. but after you read the regs you know that nothing really opens around there until may long...

a popular lil spot just outside of red deer is burbank. i love to go there. Ive caught everything i mention except for the trout.

Bigwoodsman
04-24-2012, 03:22 PM
I too was new to Red Deer and area 25 years ago, I went into a little shop on Gaetz Avenue, called Just Fishin' I cannot recall the owners name, but he set me up with a license and plenty of information. I know the guys at the Sportsmens Den can do the same for you, they have maps, knowledge and are willing to help. I have since left that little city, but when I think about RD it is these places that I think about.

BW

jkind
04-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Ya I miss Doug from Just Fishin'...that was my favourite fishing store for years.

Dust1n
04-24-2012, 07:12 PM
I really wished we were back to 3 fishing stores in Reddeer, as far as red deer fishing id go where there is a creek comming in or near bridges

FlareKing
04-24-2012, 07:37 PM
I will travel within a hour or two of Red Durr also!