PDA

View Full Version : Carburn park ponds

spaghetti
04-23-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm heading up to Carburn park ponds (weather permitting) this wednesday .

I hear there's plenty of pike, perch, and a couple of trout, but I'm honestly more interested in the perch and the trout.

I'll be bobber fishing from the shore using some of those fake plastic chewy worm things and some spoons.

My question though: Do you guys know anything about it that I don't? Or is the fishing there fairly easy for a beginner?

I hear Perch are pretty easy to hook and will bite on anything.

Pikecrazed
04-23-2012, 09:36 PM
I may be headed there on wensday to I'm not sure but I think baits no longer aloud there as of this year

FishingFrenzy
04-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Grab some live maggots, use a size 10 or 12 hook or 1/64th oz jig under the bobber.

Tip the hook/jig with maggot, you will catch perch. Pieces of minnow or shrimp should also work.

You could try small spoons but unless the perch are fairly large and aggressive, I doubt you will have much luck.

You could also try some small wet or dry flies under a casting bubble.

Pickerel rig with small hooks and worms or maggots might also be a good bet.

ogre
04-23-2012, 09:42 PM
When on Wednesday will you be there? I might come down and have a go at it too.

spaghetti
04-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Grab some live maggots, use a size 10 or 12 hook or 1/64th oz jig under the bobber.

Tip the hook/jig with maggot, you will catch perch. Pieces of minnow or shrimp should also work.

You could try small spoons but unless the perch are fairly large and aggressive, I doubt you will have much luck.

You could also try some small wet or dry flies under a casting bubble.

Pickerel rig with small hooks and worms or maggots might also be a good bet.

Carburn is under a bait ban- I might try the dry or wet fly though, but I'm terrible at casting with flies.

Pikecrazed
04-23-2012, 09:46 PM
I may be at carburn tomorrow around 4:30 and same time wensday

slingshotz
04-23-2012, 09:47 PM
I don't usually chime in with regs but if you look at page 28 of the 2012 regs they have added Carburn as part of the Bow river regs. Carburn was never included in the Bow regs in any of the previous years as far as I can tell. So there is a bait ban on the ponds as I read them as follows:

>> from the Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir (includes 500 m of the Highwood River and the 3 Carburn Park Ponds) but excluding all waters in the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary (see Inglewood Bird Sanctuary) – Open all year.
 Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm
must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban.

Just don't want anyone getting busted or giving others the wrong idea. If I'm reading it wrong, please feel free to help me understand.

ogre
04-23-2012, 09:56 PM
I agree with Slingshotz's interpretation of the reg. Pretty strange that it'd include all 3 ponds as the first one doesn't seem to ever have any fish; and like he said it's the first time Carburn is specifically listed.

DiabeticKripple
04-23-2012, 10:00 PM
I agree with Slingshotz's interpretation of the reg. Pretty strange that it'd include all 3 ponds as the first one doesn't seem to ever have any fish; and like he said it's the first time Carburn is specifically listed.

i saw a good sized pike in the first pond. probably not much else in there though. it was sitting like a log in the 6 inches of water. tried to get it to bite but couldnt haha

ogre
04-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Maybe it was one of those stuffed fish shape pillow somebody dropped. Lol. Good to know that the first pond is being used by other than the canoe club.

spaghetti
04-23-2012, 10:10 PM
I've heard the "third pond closest/facing the glenbow" has the most perch in it.

Whatever that means.

I've never been to carburn, this will be my first time this week- which pond is which or will I just "know"?

DiabeticKripple
04-23-2012, 10:13 PM
if you park in the parking lot, just walk along the path and you will pass 2 ponds and the third one, is well its the third pond haha.

google maps it. theres a path that comes down closer so you could park in the residential. save you about 7 mins of walking

yada
04-23-2012, 10:14 PM
i havent been to carburn but i plan to this season.

lots of people been telling me the pond closest to the bow river is the best out of the 3.

DiabeticKripple
04-23-2012, 10:16 PM

lots of people been telling me the pond closest to the bow river is the best out of the 3.

thats where i always catch pike. never caught a perch in there, but i wasnt trying for them

Toirtis
04-24-2012, 06:51 PM
I've heard the "third pond closest/facing the glenbow" has the most perch in it.

Whatever that means.

I've never been to carburn, this will be my first time this week- which pond is which or will I just "know"?

The best fishing comes out of the northernmost pond...the one closest to Glenmore trail.

fishingmaster2097
04-24-2012, 07:14 PM
The best fishing comes out of the northernmost pond...the one closest to Glenmore trail.

What do you use for the pike? I have tried using spoons, crankbaits and everything?

spaghetti
04-24-2012, 08:04 PM
I may be at carburn tomorrow around 4:30 and same time wensday

I wonder if this guy is back yet or not. Would love to hear if he had any luck.

Thanks, I'll try pretty much all of them to be honest though, but I'll start with these ones.

What do you use for the pike? I have tried using spoons, crankbaits and everything?

Where do you fish?

I've had amazing success with The red and yellow five of diamonds spoon before when it came to pike.

Pikecrazed
04-24-2012, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=spaghetti;1409751]I wonder if this guy is back yet or not. Would love to hear if he had any luck.

Had some stuff come up so didn't make it and won't be there wensday but got out to bonavista 30 min and landed one fish befor leaving he was two pounds but fought like an five pounder

Toirtis
04-24-2012, 11:09 PM

Cranks and topwater hardbaits (in firetiger, perch, and frog patterns) always did the trick for me...pulled plenty of 12"-16" pike out of there, and a few that were 24"-32".

fishingmaster2097
04-25-2012, 12:48 PM
I have went to the third pond, and tried for two hours all over that pond, I want to try and catch some perch though, what would you use for the perch? Maggots on a slip bobber?

Toirtis
04-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Maggots on a slip bobber?

Read up...bait ban.

spaghetti
04-25-2012, 03:18 PM
I have went to the third pond, and tried for two hours all over that pond, I want to try and catch some perch though, what would you use for the perch? Maggots on a slip bobber?

I just came back from there.

I fished for couple of hours and left- didn't catch a thing, bobber fished with: fake wormy jig, spoon minnow, and then finally a wet fly.

Didn't catch a darn thing. Only saw a bunch of birds, some shrimp, and a lot of snail shells.

Ironically enough the only place I DID see a fish was the first pond, just a little trout fingerling swimming casually.

commieboy
04-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Thought they had reported Carburn had a fairly bad winterkill last year. It was all over the forum last year.

yada
04-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Cranks and topwater hardbaits (in firetiger, perch, and frog patterns) always did the trick for me...pulled plenty of 12"-16" pike out of there, and a few that were 24"-32".

x2
I think cranks works better but topwaters are more fun to use...

i only use hardbaits for pike

yada
04-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Thought they had reported Carburn had a fairly bad winterkill last year. It was all over the forum last year.

yeah i remeber that.

my friend was there few days ago and he said he caught 2 small pike and a perch. He said he was using small crankbaits

fishingmaster2097
04-25-2012, 06:41 PM
So...I have this frog thing and its legs spin as the frog floats and swims on the top of the water. Would that work for the pike? And for Perch A slip bobber for worms and maggots and I have seen other peiple and I myself have used bait, i dont think there is a bait ban..

spaghetti
04-25-2012, 06:47 PM
So...I have this frog thing and its legs spin as the frog floats and swims on the top of the water. Would that work for the pike? And for Perch A slip bobber for worms and maggots and I have seen other peiple and I myself have used bait, i dont think there is a bait ban..

These people are either breaking the law. Or doing it when bait is in "season."

Also, I know what they're talking about. Just google "crank bait" or "hard bait" they're essentially little doodads that are like spoons only big and shaped like prey items.

They've usually got about three to two hooks on them.

I only know what these are because appearently Bass and pike follow the same rules, so I'm going by islander logic.

Toirtis
04-25-2012, 06:51 PM

Read the regs...bait ban 365 days a year...great job on publically admitting your crime and complete ignorance of the laws, though.

spaghetti
04-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Read the regs...bait ban 365 days a year...great job on publically admitting your crime and complete ignorance of the laws, though.

The Bait ban varies from water to water.

Even then It's seasonal and is usually the following: "Maggots are the only bait allowed and only after Aug. 16 to Oct 31."

So calm your jigs.

It's an honest mistake and the only reason bait is banned is the 25% increase in morality to the fish or something. It isn't like he's dumping kerosene or cooking oil into the water channels.

BeeGuy
04-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Wow, the conditional bait ban is new as of April 1 afaik.

I don't see anyone admitting any crimes. geez.

I bet thousands of people have tossed bait in there, just hopefully not in the last 3 weeks.

Toirtis
04-25-2012, 08:18 PM
"From the Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir (includes 500 m of the Highwood River and the 3 Carburn Park Ponds) but excluding all waters in the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary (see Inglewood Bird Sanctuary) – Open all year.
Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban."

Is the ban then only for those dates, or just tagged along after the date specifications? If it isn't all year, it really should be.

ogre
04-25-2012, 08:31 PM
I remember that. But i thought maybe it only applied to the second pond. There was no mention of the 3rd pond in the thread regarding winterkill. Or maybe I'd just missed it.

ogre
04-25-2012, 08:36 PM
To clear up any confusion. This bait ban regulation is brand new for 2012-2013 fishing season. Carburn was never included in the Bow regulation previously, and thus was bait allowed.

Please be careful people, pass this info on to others who had fished Carburn previously, as they'd probably miss the regulation change, and unknowingly commiting a crime.

yada
04-25-2012, 10:29 PM
people need to calm down with the regs talk.. give him a break..

Its bad to use bait where there is bait ban... The same way its bad to go 10km over the speed limit...

There is a bait ban now because its a part of the bow river, last season there was no bait ban...

fishingmaster2097
04-26-2012, 06:42 AM
I have only used bait once, so calm your jigs. But I have seen other guys use bait before. Maggotts and Worms.

epicangler
08-09-2013, 12:41 PM
wonder how the fishing is after flood, portion of the park is opened along the first pond