PDA

View Full Version : Abraham lake 04/22/12

fishinggeek
04-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Some pic of our sunday moring fishing. beautiful area and some small but nice fish. Some crazy icefisherman, couldn't believe they were fishing that close to the open water.:shark:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/abrahamlakers018.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/abrahamlakers024.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/abrahamlakers034.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/abrahamlakers035.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/abrahamlakers038.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/abrahamlakers014.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/383563_10150766043528139_561663138_9653716_9454589 69_n.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/574706_10150766042678139_561663138_9653713_6065351 56_n.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/575452_10150766042308139_561663138_9653711_6627843 63_n.jpg

silverdoctor
04-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Holy shizz, ice fishing on that? Where's the truck?

Nice way to spend a day, is that a little bull?

BGSH
04-23-2012, 09:46 PM
wicked, awsome fish, great photos

ogre
04-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Nice!!! Congrats on the fishes, some look really well fed.

Unbelievable though the chances that some people are willing to take on thin/degenerating ice.

BeeGuy
04-23-2012, 10:08 PM
nice pics

how was the drive?

fishinggeek
04-24-2012, 07:58 AM
That would be a little brown trout, fish was maybe 10-12inches and hit my 4inch buzz bomb, lol.
The drive was nice and was nice to see some open water to fish in. alot of the creeks were still frozen, but should be open up after this warm weather.

fishinggeek
04-24-2012, 11:22 AM
I also forgot to say thants to fish hunter7 for some good tips and advice. thanks man. we got to get out sometime.

tight line
04-26-2012, 08:38 AM
awesome pics of me and my buddy on the ice, its was definately a little sketchy, and pretty rotten, but if your careful and tread lightly its fine, we were on about 2 feet of decent ice there. Now you said you were using a buzz bomb, but looking at that little lakers mouth it looks like a bait hook with 2 marshmellows on it to me?!?!

Smokey
04-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Those guys who are ice fishing on Abraham lake near open water are certifiable:sign0068:

BeeGuy
04-26-2012, 12:56 PM
awesome pics of me and my buddy on the ice, its was definately a little sketchy, and pretty rotten, but if your careful and tread lightly its fine, we were on about 2 feet of decent ice there. Now you said you were using a buzz bomb, but looking at that little lakers mouth it looks like a bait hook with 2 marshmellows on it to me?!?!

Looks like mallows, but is a white jig. Lakers favorite food!

Badback
04-26-2012, 01:09 PM
great pics....

Dust1n
04-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Nice pics Geeks! Im going up there Saturday!

tight line
04-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Ya doesnt look like a tube jig to me... We Caught a small laker there a couple weeks ago with a huge gut, since we kept it we cut it open, 4 pieces of raw bacon inside...not what we were expecting lol. Have seen several other people bait fish there in the last couple weeks, so people are either to lazy or to stupid to read the regs... Or just straight up poachers, just really ****es me off to see people bait fish in waters that have Bull Trout in them, more often than not the fish swallows the hook and prob aint gonna survive even if it is released... Just sayin... But ya white tube jigs are lakers favorite food!

fishinggeek
04-26-2012, 06:25 PM

Not sure what your seeing in the lakers mouth. Just a simple white jig head with a mister twister (none scented) tail. lakers love them.
Brown trout was caught on the buzz bomb, bulls caught on spoons, the last pic of the bull you can see the spoon in the water.
one laker caught on a xrap, the other 2 lakers caught on the white jig.
And marshmellows. lmfao. I think a multiple world record holder should get a bit more respect than thinking i was using marshmellows for lakers. hahaha.

ReconWilly
04-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Nice variety there Geeks!! And BWAAAAHAHA At the suicidal ice fisher challenging the heavy weight champion of the world hehe, good luck with that...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

burbotman
04-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Not sure what your seeing in the lakers mouth. Just a simple white jig head with a mister twister (none scented) tail. lakers love them.
Brown trout was caught on the buzz bomb, bulls caught on spoons, the last pic of the bull you can see the spoon in the water.
one laker caught on a xrap, the other 2 lakers caught on the white jig.
And marshmellows. lmfao. I think a multiple world record holder should get a bit more respect than thinking i was using marshmellows for lakers. hahaha.

Marshmallows, that is pretty funny actually. Respect is not something you are short on.
Not to derail this thread, but did not see any updates on a late ice burbot trip?

fishinggeek
04-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Marshmallows, that is pretty funny actually. Respect is not something you are short on.
Not to derail this thread, but did not see any updates on a late ice burbot trip?
We managed a 40incher but had no girth. lots of 10lbers but no monsters this trip. i think the 40incher weighted abouth 14lbs. last year we got a 19.5lber, and year before the 25lber. Still nice to see some bigguns around. ill try and dig up some pics later on.

fishinggeek
04-26-2012, 09:05 PM
We managed a 40incher but had no girth. lots of 10lbers but no monsters this trip. i think the 40incher weighted abouth 14lbs. last year we got a 19.5lber, and year before the 25lber. Still nice to see some bigguns around. ill try and dig up some pics later on.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/saskmarch007.jpg

TyreeUM
04-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Ya doesnt look like a tube jig to me...Have seen several other people bait fish there in the last couple weeks, so people are either to lazy or to stupid to read the regs... Or just straight up poachers, just really ****es me off to see people bait fish in waters that have Bull Trout in them, more often than not the fish swallows the hook and prob aint gonna survive even if it is released... Just sayin...

The day he fishes with marshmallows is the day Redheadfisherman becomes mayor...

tight line
04-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Lol, good to hear! Just a little suspicious from seeing others use bait there... Didnt mean to offend you!We got some nice ones the other week one was 8 and lost one in the 10-14 lb range in the hole,and some big bulls. was fishing up at peerless lake this winter and caught some nice ones 36.5" and 17 " girth 16-18 lb range. Had a few good days on cold as well. Am hoping to go fish Minewanka this summer, anyone fish there??? What is this world record talk?

Lambo
04-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Nice pics! I've always wanted to try that lake. Any lunkers in there to make the long drive worth it?

burbotman
04-27-2012, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the burbot pics, made my morning. You sir set the bar mighty high

fishinggeek
04-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Lol, good to hear! Just a little suspicious from seeing others use bait there... Didnt mean to offend you!We got some nice ones the other week one was 8 and lost one in the 10-14 lb range in the hole,and some big bulls. was fishing up at peerless lake this winter and caught some nice ones 36.5" and 17 " girth 16-18 lb range. Had a few good days on cold as well. Am hoping to go fish Minewanka this summer, anyone fish there??? What is this world record talk?

No offence taken. people can really jump the gun on this site, i was surprised when someone would accuse me thou.
Just type in (fishinggeeks) on google and you can see all the records and all the talk threwout the world.

fishman
04-27-2012, 09:17 AM
No offence taken. people can really jump the gun on this site, i was surprised when someone would accuse me thou.
Just type in (fishinggeeks) on google and you can see all the records and all the talk threwout the world.

Boy do i ever agree with you on that one........it makes people shy on posting anything and this is suppose to be a forum to chat and learn about a sport we love to do........i am not here for any fame or records i love to fly fish and i think i have something to share and help out others and not to be attacked for it......i know and fish we some unreal fisherman i would say that are in the top 90 percent of fisherman and not one of them are out to bash anyone, i think people identify to people by there accomplisments but when it comes to fishing there is alot of people that are behind the screen that most of us could learn from...............that is my rant for the day.......lets have some fun and good fishing to all and all a goodnight.....lol

jgrocks
04-27-2012, 07:52 PM
My family and I go camping near the dam site down in the valley almost every long weekend. This year is the first year that I want to try fly fishing on Abraham.

What end of the lake were you guys fishing? I was thinking of trying the North/East side of the lake as I can get to the shore from RR171A/Bighorn Dam Road.

Any tips for a rookie fly fisherman? Dry fly's, Wet fly's???? Types of fly's???

Anything info would help.

fishinggeek
04-27-2012, 08:50 PM
My family and I go camping near the dam site down in the valley almost every long weekend. This year is the first year that I want to try fly fishing on Abraham.

What end of the lake were you guys fishing? I was thinking of trying the North/East side of the lake as I can get to the shore from RR171A/Bighorn Dam Road.

Any tips for a rookie fly fisherman? Dry fly's, Wet fly's???? Types of fly's???

Anything info would help.

Sorry, cant help on the flyfishing end. Try some of the other pros on the site. Im a spincast angler. lol. And iv heard there are some big lakers in the lake, this was my first time out, we were fishing near bighorn dam caught the little brown in the river stretch. My options were limited,as the ice was still on the lake, just the open stretch you see in the pic was the only spot we could fish in the lake. Ill be hitting the lake again in a couple weeks if all goes as planned. ill update the thread if we do head out.

TyreeUM
04-28-2012, 03:39 AM
Sorry, cant help on the flyfishing end. Try some of the other pros on the site. Im a spincast angler. lol. And iv heard there are some big lakers in the lake, this was my first time out, we were fishing near bighorn dam caught the little brown in the river stretch. My options were limited,as the ice was still on the lake, just the open stretch you see in the pic was the only spot we could fish in the lake. Ill be hitting the lake again in a couple weeks if all goes as planned. ill update the thread if we do head out.

nothing wrong with spincasting...seems to have worked out "ok" for you so far haha

Great pics!

Alberta Bigbore
04-28-2012, 08:07 AM
congrats on some awesome feesh!

Flyfisher87
04-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Awesome fish and pics!! I love that country up there.

jgrocks
04-28-2012, 12:16 PM
I could spin cast too....are you using any weights to get the hook out there or is the weight of the jig good enough to get it out a fare distance?