PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy wOrms in cochrane?

crunchiespg
04-24-2012, 11:28 AM
I was hoping to take my 3 year old on her first fishing trip to mitford pond. But I can't find any worms in the garden right now. And Canadian tire fridge is empty becaUse Of the renos. Where else in cochrane sells them?
Thanks

diadromous
04-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Canadian Tire has been my source for the past few years. The Fas Gas used to have them as did the Shell by KFC. Home Hardware used to have bait too but that was about 5 years ago now. I can't say for sure where else would have them, happy hunting and hopefully you have a good day on the pond. Let us know how you make out and if they have stocked it yet, my daughter always has fun out there too.

silverdoctor
04-24-2012, 11:37 AM
According to: http://www.cochrane.ca/municipal/toc/webcms.nsf/AllDoc/F3E0E30272CDC76D8725772F007ADA88?OpenDocument

Fishing is permitted at Mitford Pond. Mitford Pond is stocked annually with trout. Anglers 13 or younger are allowed to keep one trout. Anglers over 13, only catch and release is allowed (with barbless hooks and no bait). A license is not required.

diadromous
04-24-2012, 11:46 AM
So his daughter can use worms but he can't, as she is under thirteen and he is over?

silverdoctor
04-24-2012, 11:53 AM
That's what it seems like...

Mitford Trout Ponds Children's Fishing Clinic is a great idea tho, in June.

http://www.cochranetimes.com/PrintArticle.aspx?e=1586556

diadromous
04-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Yeah it is a great event. I haven't been, but I talked to a few guys who went and they said it was a great family day out and the kids really had a good time. I am going to have to get out there this year with the little ones.

crunchiespg
04-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Hmm Fas gas don't. The shell has closed down. Any other ideas? Thanks guys

gilbertslake
04-24-2012, 12:59 PM
I was hoping to take my 3 year old on her first fishing trip to mitford pond. But I can't find any worms in the garden right now. And Canadian tire fridge is empty becaUse Of the renos. Where else in cochrane sells them?
Thanks

There's an old trick my grandmother used. When we were kids she used to get worms for us as long as there was no snow on the ground.

Pour a bucket of warm (not too hot) soapy water on a 3ft x 3ft area on the lawn and wait a few minutes. The warm water makes them more active and they come to the surface because of the soap.

She found this out when she washed clothes in a galvanized tub (early 1900's) and would dump the water on the lawn when finished.

Give it a try and let us know how it worked for you.

silverdoctor
04-24-2012, 01:10 PM
I've often wondered if grunting would work around here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK-Oo7NwPiQ

crunchiespg
04-24-2012, 01:12 PM
There's an old trick my grandmother used. When we were kids she used to get worms for us as long as there was no snow on the ground.

Pour a bucket of warm (not too hot) soapy water on a 3ft x 3ft area on the lawn and wait a few minutes. The warm water makes them more active and they come to the surface because of the soap.

She found this out when she washed clothes in a galvanized tub (early 1900's) and would dump the water on the lawn when finished.

Give it a try and let us know how it worked for you.

i used to use that trick in england when i lived there, and it worked. problem was this time when i say my garden, i mean my parents acreage. i live in a condo. so i'll give that a try when I'm next there..