PDA

View Full Version : Any Gull updates?

nube
03-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Lookin to see how the fishin is these days it ahs been a few weeks since I have been out

live2bout
03-20-2008, 02:54 PM
A few us us out Tuesday from 1030 til 1630. We went on at Brownlow's and fished on right side of pressure ridge. We only caught one of each pike ,white, burbot, and perch but buddy was seeing whites and burbot coming through pretty regular on camera. The groups around us seemed to leave with about three whites per fisherman. It seemed to me to be worth another trip, we had perfect weather and enjoyed our trip.

Mudder Man
03-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Gull is doing very well indeed. We hit 2 @ 13 inches today and the rest of our limit was 10 inches plus. Been hard trying to find some big Perch but we finally located some. As for the Whites they are still hitting with a Vengence. Was another beautiful day on the lake today.

Tight Lines people

Mudder

SNAPFisher
03-21-2008, 06:38 AM
Had a smokin day there yesterday. Managed countless burbs and some real big pike. I didn't have any luck with the whites but I was also fishing deeper.

KJPFISH
03-21-2008, 09:40 AM
How's the ice & access onto Gull holding up, particularly getting onto the lake from the NE corner? I'm thinking of heading up from Calgary this weekend.

Good fishing!

KJPFISH

saltwater cowboy
03-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Was out yesterday and got a few whites to keep and some small perch to grow bigger. If you are talking about coming in at the new RV campground on the NE side there is just a little water showing right at the shore, maybe an inch or two. There is a bit of a steep bank to go down over and coming up over may require 4x4 once the sun hits it and mucks it up.
Salty

jrs
03-21-2008, 04:32 PM
I was out last Friday and Saturday, lost count of burbs both days and managed a few nice pike. Unfortunately some drunks found my spot and made the day a little less pleasant but it was still a pretty good day. It was nice when they left, the bite really started up as we were picking up beer cans and garbage left behind. I may go out tomorrow if i don't get called in to work.

mark-edmonton
03-21-2008, 05:45 PM
gonna take the wife tomorrow was gonna head off at brownlows. Where should I take her. should we keep west of the pressure ridge? I'd like some burbs, and hopefully catch my first white. what is the thickness of the ice... do I still need my extension on. Haven't been for a few weeks.

nube
03-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Got out today for a couple hours but got tired of the fifty trucks parked all 10 yards from eachother and went to Sylvan. A few guys were catching. Ran into young Moosehunter from the forum here and stoped to say hi. Looked like they were doing well.

M77RMKII
03-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Easy getting in and out at Wilson's with a 4x4 at least??

It was fine last Saturday, going out tomorrow (Saturday) one last time to call it a season. Expecting some good Burbs and hopefully Whites. Burbots were fine last Saturday, whites were spooked.

mark-edmonton
03-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Is there a place nearby to get some maggots. my wife and I are headed there from edmonton in the morning. should be there mid morning. are the burbs still biting out at brownlows?

M77RMKII
03-21-2008, 09:00 PM
I was out at brownlows last Saturday, then headed to Wilson's beach at 3PM, saw more action, especially Burbs at Wilson's.

If you go through Crestormere, then they sell bait at the gas station (Race Trac)

mark-edmonton
03-21-2008, 09:07 PM
thanks.

jrs
03-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Well, made my last hard water trip of the year out to Gull today and was humbled after about 15 good trips in a row. Buddy landed a pike and i was broken off by one within 15 minutes of arriving, did not have another bite for 3 hours. I then had some mystery bites and after about 10 minutes of waiting to set the hook brought up a jig full of whitefish scales. I had never seen them around but as the fishing for burbs and pike was slow i thought I'd give it a whirl. Threw on a pickerel rig with a couple smelt heads. Had about 5 bites in a ten minute period, lost two in the hole and landed two 19'' ers. Fished till dark and never had another hit on the smelts set for burbot. Oh well, at least i managed another species. Felt bad as not 5 minutes before the whitefish showed up an older guy drove by and asked if we knew of a whitefish spot. I had never seen one landed prior to today so i was not of much help. Shows what difference a few minutes can make. The first one i lost in the hole was really big, over 5 lbs for sure and may have been big enough to become my personnel best. I've handled lots down south and they seemed a bit skinnier but the 19''ers were probably about 2 lbs a piece. Still beats work, which begins again tomorrow for me. Bring on the open water.

M77RMKII
03-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Where were you at? I imagine today was a good day as far as little to no melt at the shoreline.

Was to go out but will have to leave it for Monday.

jrs
03-23-2008, 10:16 AM
I accessed at Wilsons, lots of traffic around. The guy i chatted with mentioned the burbs were biting on the far west end. I haven't ventured over there but see on the bathymetric maps there's some good drop offs.

M77RMKII
03-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Saturday of a week ago as I was pulling out at Wilson's, talked to a guy he hammered over 20 burbs right off the boat launch. Is that were you were at? Was there some folks fishing right there?

jrs
03-23-2008, 01:25 PM
M77RMKII,

Sent you a pm, may have talked to you, not sure.