PDA

View Full Version : Portable fish finders

FishHunterPro
04-24-2012, 08:58 PM
I've been searching around trying to find info on some portable fish finders. If anyone enjoys the model they have please share any info you can. I need a portable because I do yearly fly in fishing trips for lakers and fish remote quad in lakes in northern Alberta with my zodiac .

ogre
04-24-2012, 09:16 PM
I have a Hummingbird RF10 Smartcast (grand daddy version). Cast or chuck the wireless float out on a line and read it off the base. The newer version is the RF15, there are also a rod mounted version (RF25), and watch version (RF35). Really basic though, but VERY portable.

I probably should upgrade some of my gear.

BeeGuy
04-24-2012, 09:24 PM
I just have a humminbird 150.

They are pretty basic and inexpensive, but they find fish!

I use it on the canoe and it is great. Will mark just about everything. Submerged trees at 30', schools of whitefish yearlings etc.

Probably the most useful part is marking weed-beds and depth profile.

horsetrader
04-24-2012, 09:36 PM

I use it on the canoe and it is great. Will mark just about everything. Submerged trees at 30', schools of whitefish yearlings etc.

I got two of the 150s one mounted on my small boat and one in a porta bag they are simple but work great

McLeod
04-25-2012, 12:11 PM

Cost ?

BeeGuy
04-25-2012, 12:36 PM
$100 more or less. Theyre on sale all the time.

RapStaff
04-25-2012, 07:51 PM
I took an old Coleman lunch cooler and mounted the head on it.
I have a 7 amp gell cell inside suction cup transducer mount.
For transport everything stores inside including the head unit.
Doubles as a bait cooler.......

The Fisherman Guy
04-25-2012, 09:00 PM
And I happen to have a Lowrance fish finder for sale in the misc Buy and Sell section! $60 bucks!

Kingfisher
04-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Any sounder can be made portable. I use a Lowrance HDS5 on my inflateable. I made a bracket for it and also one for the transponder. I clamp on the bracket with the transponder and the bracket for the finder. The whole unit is portable. If your going into a more remote area and need to make things light you can use a small battery. Like one that is used for trailers with brakes or electric scooters.

Rob

mayuan
04-26-2012, 08:59 AM
I have a Humminbird 535 portable for sale in the fishing section. Great finder with great resolution and a big screen. I have been able to see a small spoon 100' underwater and torment the small fish that is trying to get it. Unit is the hardcase version not the bag that turns on the unit all the time when you move it.

horsetrader
04-26-2012, 09:12 AM
I have a Humminbird 535 portable for sale in the fishing section. Great finder with great resolution and a big screen. I have been able to see a small spoon 100' underwater and torment the small fish that is trying to get it. Unit is the hardcase version not the bag that turns on the unit all the time when you move it.

hahahaha been there charged battery put in truck that night must have hit button went to fish dead battery....... I don't connect battery till i'm ready to fish now lollol.

mayuan
04-26-2012, 04:15 PM
hahahaha been there charged battery put in truck that night must have hit button went to fish dead battery....... I don't connect battery till i'm ready to fish now lollol.

I learned that lesson too.

BeeGuy
04-26-2012, 04:36 PM
x3

BeeGuy
04-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Thought I'd post this:

The original battery that came with my unit would not take a charge. Emailed humminbird, got a timely response, then sent them cell phone photos of my proof of purchase and my mailing address. done.

FishHunterPro
04-27-2012, 02:02 AM
Thanks everyone for their input I've done a little research and narrowed it down to 2 units that range around $300. Lowrance has a Mark5x portable and humminbird 570 portable both seem to be great units. I'm leaning in the direction of the humminbird though cause it has a little more power and a better resolution screen and dual beam transducer for just a little more than the lowrance. Had a quick view of them both and either one would work for me I think.

Big Schnizz
04-27-2012, 08:03 AM
I took an old Coleman lunch cooler and mounted the head on it.
I have a 7 amp gell cell inside suction cup transducer mount.
For transport everything stores inside including the head unit.
Doubles as a bait cooler.......

How long does it last on the gel cell? I'm in the process of making a unit portable and just comtemplating what I should use for a battery.

FishHunterPro
04-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Few guys were saying the 7amp gel cell are lasting 2-1/2 days but I doubt it. I run a 7amp on my marcum lx5 flasher and it's good for 1 full day and runs the same power. I'm kinda getting sold on the humminbird 345c portable.

FishHunterPro
05-02-2012, 12:51 AM
I ended up going with the lowrance mark-5x portable lOoks like a solid unit.