PDA

View Full Version : Peace River Bear Timing?

GooseSlammer
04-25-2012, 08:57 AM
Hi Everyone,

I had a bear hunt planned for the May 25th weekend near Peace River (after the long weekend) but I had something come up so I need to reschedule. I'm just doing spot and stalk, and I'm wondering about a couple of things regarding the timing for rescheduling the trip:

1) The weekend before is the May long weekend. Does anyone know if there are a lot of campers out or way more hunters in the Peace area during that weekend? I'd rather not be hunting during a really busy camping weekend. Are there many people that camp up there during the May long weekend?

2) If I avoid the May long weekend, the other choices are the May 12th weekend (possibly too early?) or the June 1st weekend (possibly too green and thick!)

What does everyone think based on this year's weather? I've read reports of bears out in the region already. I went the first weekend in June last year and did well, but the green stuff was coming in pretty good on the trees. And this year is really warm for the spring.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Elkaholic523
04-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Id say whit those choices may long would b your best bet. As far as campers where do u plan on hunting in the peace

JohnB
04-25-2012, 12:24 PM
I would go June 1. May 12 might be a little early, most of the snow is gone but not sure how much green will be out by then. The May long will be busy as that seems when everyone else heads up here to bear hunt.

Good luck.

TBark
04-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Good info,
I have May 8 - 13 off and also May 18. - 30, and June 6 - 15.
so I hope I can scratch something up with this much time off.

TBark

SugarCreek
04-25-2012, 03:39 PM
We have hunted in the Peace consistently over the last 16 years from the week before the May long and also the week after the May long...good action on both weeks and have taken some bears that went B&C the week before the may long. We are hunting from May 12-20 or so this year and the timing should be just fine. Less bugs too at that time of year.

The one consideration that I would look at in hunting times is the later in the year, you really need to watch the hide conditions so you don't shoot a bear that has rubs. The other thing is with more green out on the lines and in the bush, it may be more difficult to pick out cubs of the year as they may be swallowed up at times in the vegetation and the chance to shoot a sow with cubs of the year increases later in the season for that reason. Regardless, you will always have to watch to ensure that there are no little cubs with the bear with or without the vegetation.

Good luck with your decision, have a great hunt and look forward to seeing photos of your adventure.........Marco

-JR-
04-25-2012, 06:02 PM
May long weekend is always the best.

Weekend before the lonweekend grass in the cutlines are not green enought for bears to come out.
Weekend after the longweekend grass is getting green in the bush and bears do not need to come out into the cutlines to feed on grass.

Best time of day to hunt is at thier lunch hour 12:00 - 1:30

BigJon
04-25-2012, 07:36 PM
I think the May 12 weekend would be a good bet. We're getting rained on up here now and by Sat., Sun. there's supposed to be some sunshine....should get some germination happening.

GooseSlammer
04-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks Everyone. That helps a lot... Getting pumped! :fighting0007:

Peace Country
04-26-2012, 07:26 PM
It is plus 4 out and raining very hard now. The last 24 hours we have had a very strong east wind and rain. May long weekend time frame is great for bears in the lower Peace region should be good time frame.
We have had a bear hanging around the home for about 10 days now.

yamaha 1
04-27-2012, 08:03 AM
What WMU are you planing on hunting? I hunt in 525 and head out May long for 6 days.We have hunted May long for the last 15 years, always have good luck. Other then a few years we got snowed out but for the most part May long is the date. Good luck.