PDA

View Full Version : Do stocked rainbows spawn?

SLK
04-25-2012, 03:24 PM
I was fishing severn the other day and hooked a 18 incher it had a hooked jaw and red cheeks was just wondering if stocked bows will spawn. It was a nice fish I hooked it and my friends little girl brought it in we had lost a few but she managed to get it in not a bad fish for her first! :)

TyreeUM
04-25-2012, 03:38 PM
I was fishing severn the other day and hooked a 18 incher it had a hooked jaw and red cheeks was just wondering if stocked bows will spawn. It was a nice fish I hooked it and my friends little girl brought it in we had lost a few but she managed to get it in not a bad fish for her first! :)

Sure they do, just not likely successfully in the lakes.

Okotokian
04-25-2012, 03:41 PM
I thought they largely used triploids, infertile fish, so as to not interbreed with native fish.

SLK
04-25-2012, 04:05 PM
This one had lots of sperm in him when I cleaned it up either way really nice fish I will attach a pic.

Redneck Renagade
04-25-2012, 04:10 PM
A buddy of mine has a trout pond in the back corner of his acerage and we have found out that the trout were spawning. It kind of shocked us because we thought they didn't spawn but sure enough they were

nick0danger
04-25-2012, 04:20 PM
I thought they largely used triploids, infertile fish, so as to not interbreed with native fish.

To expensive, although some of our delayed harvest lakes get them cause they grow bigger faster.

Guitarplayingfish
04-25-2012, 05:41 PM
This one had lots of sperm in him when I cleaned it up either way really nice fish I will attach a pic.

Well, I know where I am going fishing on my few days off... hahahaha.

Nice fish.

Drewski Canuck
04-25-2012, 06:41 PM
I understood that Brookies can spawn without running water, successfully. There is a population of rainbows in BC in the Okanagan region that is reproducing in a lake with only gravel and spring flow, and I recall another population in New Zealand??? Otherwise, the eggs just die for lack of oxygen supply.

Drewski

Doc
04-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Although rainbow trout will search out gravel areas of a stillwater to try and spawn, they need clean, cool, moving water to be successful. Some lakes that have a very good in-flow have been known to have successful spawning, however the rule of thumb is that rainbows will not spawn in stillwaters. They will fill with eggs which will eventually be absorbed back into their bodies. This absorption can be detrimental to the trout and does cause mortality in some females. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Doc

Dust1n
04-25-2012, 09:18 PM
When I was down in the states, A friend if Brian Chan came over to bs and we started talking about the conservation of WA state. But one of the topics we talked about is that diploid rainbows will die in about 3 years no matter what the situation is(doesnt matter if its a spring or an odd fall spawner)
but triploids once they devolpe eggs will die because they CAN NOT absorb them back into the body, He said its like trying to absorb a baby in your wife, If she dont give birth she dies...Simple as that.

Heres a pic of one of the male diploids.
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/038-3.jpg

TyreeUM
04-25-2012, 09:36 PM
When I was down in the states, A friend if Brian Chan came over to bs and we started talking about the conservation of WA state. But one of the topics we talked about is that diploid rainbows will die in about 3 years no matter what the situation is(doesnt matter if its a spring or an odd fall spawner)
but triploids once they devolpe eggs will die because they CAN NOT absorb them back into the body, He said its like trying to absorb a baby in your wife, If she dont give birth she dies...Simple as that.

Heres a pic of one of the male diploids.
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/038-3.jpg

Im not sure this is accurate...

fluxcore
04-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Triploids do not produce eggs or sperm
No, a triploid fish is a fish genetically altered at birth to not reproduce or to reach sexual maturity, so that insted of using energy to become sexually mature it uses that energy to keep eating and growing until it dies. Therefore they can grow MUCH larger than wild fish. Simple as that

ReconWilly
04-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Awesome catch, she'll remember that !!Severn Damn is creek fed, is it not possible for wild fish to enter the res? I would think there are wild and stocked fish in there, much like Sibald, question for the bios: are there any visible physical attributes to distinguish between wild and stocked rainbows? the fish in the picks in this thread look to me to be more wild than stocked, mostly the scales and the color of the skin. In my experience stockers seem to have a little more shine to them. 3 times last year i had 6 pound flourocarbon leaders break on Severn fish, i've never snapped that line on a stocker anywhere else.

RayL42
04-26-2012, 07:47 AM
If you look at the stocking reports on they indicate which lake are stocked with Triploids (3ntp under genotype) and which lakes are not

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing/documents/FishStockingReport-Jul12-2011.pdf

CeeZee
04-26-2012, 07:56 AM
so what does the 2N mean? I too caught a rainbow in stocked waters this winter and same thing, first time i seen one hook jawed and such, i do have a pic if needed.

Doc
04-26-2012, 08:10 AM
so what does the 2N mean? I too caught a rainbow in stocked waters this winter and same thing, first time i seen one hook jawed and such, i do have a pic if needed.

2N is what you'll find in the wild. There seams to be some confusion here about trout in stillwaters. A stocked trout, whether it was stocked in moving or stillwaters will still produce either eggs or sperm. In moving waters, stocked trout can reproduce successfully. In stillwaters it will try, but be unsuccessful, it needs that clean, oxygen rich, cool, flowing water over a gravel bottom to spawn. 3N trout have been altered to not produce eggs or sperm at all and will not even try to spawn so all energy (and it takes a lot) that it would have used to spawn goes directly into feeding. Those huge rainbows out of Diefenbaker that the Conrad boys caught (the world records) are 3N. Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,
Doc

RayL42
04-26-2012, 08:14 AM
As I understand it 3N and 3NTP are triploids and 2N are not (if I am wrong please correct me), also from what I have read the process to produce triploids is not100% effective so there is always a possibility that in a triploid stocked lake you could catch a fish that is capable of reproducing.

EP2
04-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Capable of producing roe and milt, but highly unlikely to spawn as rainbows need moving water to spawn.

Alberta was the first state in North America to not stock fish in waters where natural reproduction was viable.

As another extreme (and natural mutation) example of triploid trout is this laker netted in 1961 (The Royal Alberta Museum had/has a stuffed/replica mounted somewhere)
http://www.fishingfury.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/102lb-trout.jpg

pikergolf
04-26-2012, 12:18 PM
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/pikergolf/th_MVI_0225.jpg (http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/pikergolf/?action=view&current=MVI_0225.mp4)
Spawning trout, click on photo. Not successfully I'm sure, but I saw hundreds spawning.

biggyJ
04-26-2012, 04:56 PM
N refers to half the genetic material that a species gametes will contain.

Example:
Human sperm 23 chromosomes
Human ova 23 chromosomes

When fertilization, sperm meets ova, occurs you create a viable zygote with 2N (N + N) chromosomes. Or 46 chromosomes in total.

So a 3N fish is a fish with an extra set if chromosomes, so their reproductive ability is negated.

An example in humans is if you have 1 extra chromosome so 47, you would have down syndrome.