PDA

View Full Version : Dropper Knots...any advice??

N8orDie
04-25-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm experimenting with tying a sort of paternoster or 3-fly rig with a weight at the terminal end of the mainline instead of a point fly...so I can drift a two flies with my spinning rod in moving water.

What do you all recommend for dropper knots? Usually, I would use a three way swivel for droppers but I have a feeling this is a little much for light streamers or nymphs...so after doing some research, I have my potential knots narrowed down to dropper loop knots, water knots or blood knots with flies tied to the downward tag or some sort of stopper knot in the mainline, such as a figure 8, with droppers tied to the mainline above them with clinch knots.

Any recommendations? Also, can you tie a dropper line directly to the loop formed by the dropper loop knot or does that put too much pressure on the loop?

I've done a lot of research but I need help making the final choice.

Thanks.

BeeGuy
04-25-2012, 07:53 PM
I use almost an identical rig for fishing for whites.

I use 10lb flouro and use an overhand knot on the mainline as a stopper (3 times for 3 flies). I then tie short droppers ~3" to the mainline using an improved clinch.

Works great with whites because you dont need to set the hook much and I play them slowly. If I was targeting anything else I would use a dropper loop as you mentioned.

Alternatively, you can get super small swivels from bass pro ~6mm or so which can be used like a 3-way. works well for trout up to 3-4 lbs.

ca-ching
$0.02

gilbertslake
04-25-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm experimenting with tying a sort of paternoster or 3-fly rig with a weight at the terminal end of the mainline instead of a point fly...so I can drift a two flies with my spinning rod in moving water.

What do you all recommend for dropper knots? Usually, I would use a three way swivel for droppers but I have a feeling this is a little much for light streamers or nymphs...so after doing some research, I have my potential knots narrowed down to dropper loop knots, water knots or blood knots with flies tied to the downward tag or some sort of stopper knot in the mainline, such as a figure 8, with droppers tied to the mainline above them with clinch knots.

Any recommendations? Also, can you tie a dropper line directly to the loop formed by the dropper loop knot or does that put too much pressure on the loop?

I've done a lot of research but I need help making the final choice.

Thanks.

I use either a double clinch knot or a water knot.

The great thing about the water knot is that you can pretty much make one with your eyes closed. We used to use the water knot when fishing for sea-trout at night, as it was quick and you didn't need much light to tie it. We still needed to use a flashlight to attach flies though.

http://www.trout-salmon-fishing.com/flyfishing-knots.htm#Water_Knot_-_for_forming_droppers_in_a_leader0

N8orDie
04-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Awesome. That's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Thanks for your help guys.