PDA

View Full Version : Help me cut a huge hole in my new boat!!

Duramaximos
04-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Well maybe not huge, but it sure feels that way :thinking-006:.

I need to cut a 3/4" hole into the transom of my boat in order to fit a water tight wire seal, through which my transducer wire will pass.

Here is a pic of the area....

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww265/cigarusmaximus/wireseal.jpg

You see an existing wire seal for the steering harness and the smaller black wire seal sitting on the platform.
I think I have two options:

1/ cut the 3/4" hole 1/2" away from the steering harness seal at the 7:30 position. This would mean I cut a 3/8" hole directly below it, in the platform, to bring the wire up from the transducer.

2/ cut the 3/4 hole 1/2" away from the steering harness seal at the 4:30 position. This would mean I cut a 3/8" hole in the side support of the swim platform to bring the wire up from the transducer.

My preference is Option 2 because it saves me from putting a hole in the platform. However, Option 2 puts the wire seal and transducer cable only 1" away from the right side of the boat. Maybe too close??

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. If I'm on the wrong track all together, please let me know!

I'm stressed out about putting a big hole in my boat and not being able to take it back when it's all done. :sign0161:

Duramaximos
04-25-2012, 09:20 PM
oh...you might be wondering why I don't cut the access hole into the transom below the platform...my dealer recommended I don't pass the wire through below the platform because there is a greater chance for water to leak into the boat. I don't believe the water line is directly below the platform, but I'm inclined to follow the dealer's advice.

Let me know if you think the dealer is out to lunch.

Thanks!

rielbowhunter
04-25-2012, 09:45 PM
I didn't have the heart to drill the hole. LOL. so I ran the transducer line up and over top, and inside. I bought these all weather sick on wire connectors, they come with zip-ties. it has lasted two seasons so far. picked them up at home depot.here is a picture of the back of my boat, you just have to zoom it up to see it. i will try to get you a better picture.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=1400200#post1400200
I think I could drill the hole now, it just too hard to do it on a new boat, I also I know i will keep my Lowrance

Duramaximos
04-25-2012, 09:56 PM
I didn't have the heart to drill the hole. LOL. so I ran the transducer line up and over top, and inside. I bought these all weather sick on wire connectors, they come with zipties. it has lasted two seasons so far. picked them up at home detpo. i will try to get you a picture.

Thanks. I sure would like to see those pics.

harrydude
04-25-2012, 09:58 PM
We're you at duramaximos?

Duramaximos
04-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Calgary. Why do you ask?

horsetrader
04-25-2012, 09:59 PM
I didn't have the heart to drill the hole. LOL. so I ran the transducer line up and over top, and inside. I bought these all weather sick on wire connectors, they come with zip-ties. it has lasted two seasons so far. picked them up at home depot.here is a picture of the back of my boat, you just have to zoom it up to see it. i will try to get you a better picture.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=1400200#post1400200
I think I could drill the hole now, it just too hard to do it on a new boat, I also I know i will keep my Lowrance

x2

harrydude
04-25-2012, 10:07 PM
I ask cause I could help o out in h hol drilling part..... Put a second set o eye on it help I you like

Stu
04-26-2012, 06:13 AM
I ask cause I could help o out in h hol drilling part..... Put a second set o eye on it help I you like

If your spelling is as good as your hole drilling, I would pass on the help! :scared0018:

Shmag
04-26-2012, 06:18 AM
If your spelling is as good as your hole drilling, I would pass on the help! :scared0018:

...:sHa_sarcasticlol:...

50/50
04-26-2012, 07:01 AM
When I drilled my river boat, same swin platform set up, I went under it . After placing the rubber seal grommet and passing wires I used marine "goop" sealer to cover it up. It never leaked, it was above the water line, and it was all out of sight. If I had to do it again , I would buy the hull transducer that gets glued inside the hull. No holes and never have to worry about tearing it off. I used that system on my fiberglass ocean boat and it works perfect.

Duramaximos
04-26-2012, 07:37 AM
When I drilled my river boat, same swin platform set up, I went under it . After placing the rubber seal grommet and passing wires I used marine "goop" sealer to cover it up. It never leaked, it was above the water line, and it was all out of sight. If I had to do it again , I would buy the hull transducer that gets glued inside the hull. No holes and never have to worry about tearing it off. I used that system on my fiberglass ocean boat and it works perfect.

All the reading I've done indicates you can't shoot through a metal hull, otherwise I like this idea a lot.