PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the bow

bulltrout
03-20-2008, 07:33 PM
hey hows it going , fishing the bow ,just wondering what you used for bait & test, & hooks, maybe using dew worm's. did I say that? LOL any how any advice would help, gone fishing!!!!!!!

Lethalconnection
03-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Well you can try fishing with bait on the bow but you might get hit with a dandy fine. No bait allowed on the bow. Have to stick to fly fishing or spoons and spinners.

mark-edmonton
03-20-2008, 10:31 PM
can someone explain that to me. ya I know its the regs, but why not.... is there a reason for it?

sorry if sounds dumb, I would just like to know!

Mark

Lethalconnection
03-20-2008, 11:39 PM
I think its the fact that the fish will actually take the live bait soo far down you will have a better chance of hooking their gills or gut hook them, but then why wouldnt they do they same with fly's since alot of flys look pretty similar to the real thing, but then again they dont have the natural subtle movements of the real thing. Im not sure but thats what i would think.

bulltrout
03-21-2008, 06:20 AM
Good day thanks for the tip on live bait, I have lots of spoons spiner etc, planing on going with a #6 hook and 8 to 10 lb test for line ,or will I loooose it all ?

Scott N
03-21-2008, 08:49 AM
I think Lethalconnection is right about the bait issue.... most of the fishing on the bow is catch and release. Make sure you pick up a copy of the regs because the Bow has a few sections that are closed at times during the year.

I usally fly fish the bow and use 8 pound line, so 8 or 10 pound test line is good.

One tip that I can give you is to try and fish as close to the bottom as possible... that's usually where the fish are holding.

Lethalconnection
03-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Yeah 8-10lb line is perfect. I find at #6 or 7 work best on the bow for spoons but for spinners i find the #4 works wicked.

Buck Krazy
03-21-2008, 11:12 AM
they banned bait so all the old timers and kids could have no fun:mad3:

winged1
03-21-2008, 12:09 PM
For anyone that had used bait in the past, particularly the resident nymphs, you know that deep hooking was the norm. Most artificals are mouth hooks, not throat or stomach that comes from natural bait.

Fish have an exceptional sense of smell. Although I have had excellent results in bottom bouncing natural imitations.

Alberta Bigbore
03-21-2008, 03:18 PM
dont forget those bow river trout are suckers for trout pattern rapala minnow baits. same as red deer river!!! yikes!!! secrets out!!!:D :D :lol:

goldscud
03-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Buck crazy, give me a break. I started fly fishing the Bow when I was 12. It isn't that hard and a way more effective way to fish. There is a number of lures you or any kid can use that work great with a spinning rod. Bait leads to far too many fish deaths from deep hooking in a river where most people are practising catch and release. If you let them go, they might grow to 29" like this:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/fishmonger/Glacier29012.jpg

Lethalconnection
03-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Buck crazy, give me a break. I started fly fishing the Bow when I was 12. It isn't that hard and a way more effective way to fish. There is a number of lures you or any kid can use that work great with a spinning rod. Bait leads to far too many fish deaths from deep hooking in a river where most people are practising catch and release. If you let them go, they might grow to 29" like this:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/fishmonger/Glacier29012.jpg

Truly jealous of that fish, great lookin female.

goldscud
03-23-2008, 08:03 AM
She was a long fish, not bad color, but probably missing 2 or 3 lb of weight. Still pretty cool to see. There are bigger ones...

Duk Dog
03-23-2008, 08:42 AM
Wow, awesome fish. Congrats.

SuCraM
03-23-2008, 09:44 AM
That is a sweet fish man. I really wish I had a friend like you to show a young buck how to catch fish that size on the bow. And to support you I agree that the bait ban is in effect because of the mortality rate. There is a section from Ghost resevoir to Calgary that allows maggots in August - September and works really good for the whitefish. I have caught a few and always caught them in the lip and never in the gills or stomach. Keep the cool pictures coming. Tight lines

bowchaser
03-24-2008, 11:45 AM
no buck, they banned bait so people would have to actually learn how to fish...also keeps the skids away

honda450
03-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Once you fly fish there ain't no goin back.

aulrich
03-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Fly fishing the bow can be intimidating at first. If I did not hook up with an experience guy who would pull in fish after fish I would have given up. Then one day the bulb went off and I can hold my own.

The gear does not need to be over complicated, you don't need a hundered different flys. San juan worms catch 70% of my fish 25% are caught with prince, hare's hear, phesant tail or a stone fly and 5% (maybe) on drys.

But then some guys swear by steamer fishing and in my mind that means spinning gear would be better since it is way more efficient that flinging a fly around.

I have caught a few on spinning gear, never really gave it the proper research.

I have always preffered spring fishing less guys on the water, and since the water is lower and slower it is better for a guy just learning.

Oh and don't make the mistake I did and try to fish during peek of run off (just after may long through most of June or early July), So any nice day (+5 to 10 or better) from here on is a good time to start.

BTW my record for out the door, to fish on is 10 minuites.

Lethalconnection
03-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Fly fishing the bow can be intimidating at first. If I did not hook up with an experience guy who would pull in fish after fish I would have given up. Then one day the bulb went off and I can hold my own.

The gear does not need to be over complicated, you don't need a hundered different flys. San juan worms catch 70% of my fish 25% are caught with prince, hare's hear, phesant tail or a stone fly and 5% (maybe) on drys.

But then some guys swear by steamer fishing and in my mind that means spinning gear would be better since it is way more efficient that flinging a fly around.

I have caught a few on spinning gear, never really gave it the proper research.

I have always preffered spring fishing less guys on the water, and since the water is lower and slower it is better for a guy just learning.

Oh and don't make the mistake I did and try to fish during peek of run off (just after may long through most of June or early July), So any nice day (+5 to 10 or better) from here on is a good time to start.

BTW my record for out the door, to fish on is 10 minuites.

Well said, the bow is a very intimidating river to fish you dont have someone with you that knows what they are doing. Ive successfully fly fished and spin fished the river and i find fly fishing you get more fish and better quality as well. Those fly's you mentioned are pretty much what i stick with as well.

BTW my record for out the door, to fish on is 20mins bit further of a walk.

baitfisher83
03-25-2008, 10:18 AM
sounds like i should be fly tossing the bow with you guys...but i'm gonna have to stalk up on flies first..lol

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Im thinking of coming down and a few friend to come fish with sucrum , try out the new bait caster on the bow river . Is it true that the river doesnt close at the end up the month unlike alot of the lakes around. Might be worth the 4 hour drive , to come catch some lunkers.

SuCraM
03-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Im thinking of coming down and a few friend to come fish with sucrum , try out the new bait caster on the bow river . Is it true that the river doesnt close at the end up the month unlike alot of the lakes around. Might be worth the 4 hour drive , to come catch some lunkers.
Hey BBJ it is open all year. That is straight from the 2008 regs. I hope you are coming down soon. Hopefully this weekend. I have the whole weekend off. Let me know shoot me a message on tacklebox forum or email.

03-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Forsure ,I dont think it will be this weekend , Ive got some stuff on the go , but if we were to come down there it would be for the intire weekend stay up in a hotel or something , party it up a little , but I gotta talk to the other guy and see if hes , coming , Ill talk to a few of the guys maybe we will get 3 or 4 of us up from Edmonton , Ill bring the camera gear and well do a little tapeing and post it on the tackle box.

Alberta Bigbore
03-25-2008, 01:39 PM

4 hours?? i can pull dang near 80,000 pounds from sherwood park to calgary in 3.25 hours!! LOL put some lead in it man:D Wish i could hit the bow alot more. i see it every day, but they dont have parking stalls for Rigs along the river:cry:

03-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Make a parkin spot :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , well whatever it is , Its an hour from here to leduc to get on hwy 2 then an hour to dead rear and then about another hour and a half to Calgary , im not much for speeding ill do a buck 15 or buck 20 but im not interested in paying some cops doughnut fund

SuCraM
03-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Forsure ,I dont think it will be this weekend , Ive got some stuff on the go , but if we were to come down there it would be for the intire weekend stay up in a hotel or something , party it up a little , but I gotta talk to the other guy and see if hes , coming , Ill talk to a few of the guys maybe we will get 3 or 4 of us up from Edmonton , Ill bring the camera gear and well do a little tapeing and post it on the tackle box.
For sure sounds good man I cant wait it will be a blast to hook up with you guys and catch some nice size trout.

Scott N
03-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Hey BBJ it is open all year. That is straight from the 2008 regs. I hope you are coming down soon. Hopefully this weekend. I have the whole weekend off. Let me know shoot me a message on tacklebox forum or email.

Guys, make sure that you have a copy of the regs before hitting the river. While it's true many parts of the Bow are open year round, keep in mind that some aren't. Many sections are closed from April 1 - May 31 because the rainbows spawn at this time of year, and some are close from Oct. 1 - Nov. 30 becuase of the brown trout spawn.

03-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Well I always carry my regulations with , me as I never know where im ganna find a body of water and cast a line , my rods and tackle are always in my truck , I may not always have my boat but always got the important things .But SuCram knows where to go im hopeing that we can fish while us folks up here cant,

Lethalconnection
03-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Im thinking of coming down and a few friend to come fish with sucrum , try out the new bait caster on the bow river .

Probably be ALOT better off bringing your fly rod if you fly fish, extremely rare you have a good day on the bow with a bait cast. Might hook into a couple but most of the time they arent the greatest quality. Dont get me wrong ive got many big fish from the bow with rainbow and brown trout rapala imitations. But if you want alot more fish and better chance of gettin a big one i suggest trying a #2-4 SJW, or tossing one out under a bobber with your bait cast, i have yet to find a better fly/lure for the bow.

03-25-2008, 06:37 PM
I get the whole Idear of fly fishing casting part of it but dont really know about all the flys and stuff, heck I even caught walleye on a fly rod with a small spoon it was really diffrent fighting a fish with that long light rod it was kinda fun actually