PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Pronghorns

sheephunter
04-26-2012, 08:50 AM
While nothing scientific about the observations, I put on a little over 1,100kms yesterday and was really pleased with how many antelope I saw. Lots of bucks in particular. Hopefully it's a good sign of things to come. Man it sure is dry in the deep southeast though!

nube
04-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Where did they come from? I had heard from a buddy that they all got killed in the last couple bad winters. I can't see them making a big comeback that fast.

sheephunter
04-26-2012, 09:12 AM
We definitely lost some during the winter of 2010 but "all" might be a bit harsh. The migration was undoubtedly a bit screwed up with high water and heavy spring snow last year as well. Like I said, nothing scientific about what I saw but I was pleasantly surprised with the numbers we saw....some decent bucks as well. We saw many Ferruginous Hawks as well, so they seem to be doing quite well, at least in that area. Spring definitely came early to the southeast part of Alberta...now they just need some rain.

Rackmastr
04-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Good to hear TJ. Will most likely be a few years till I get back over there to hunt them, but this nice warm winter should have made things easier on them for sure.

My next trip is a Wyoming antelope....been waiting too long to do that!

duffy4
04-26-2012, 09:24 AM
OK that settles it, I will apply for Archery antelope this year (I got heaps of priority) and if I don't get one its your fault sheephunter!

walking buffalo
04-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Sheep,

Are you sure they were Pronghorns?

Pack said they have been wiped out due to Bad management practices and greedy hunters.

coyote_man
04-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Im siding more with Packs version than Sheeps though I have seen a few more antelope of late closer to the Suffield block area.Im no expert or biologist but I put on a lot of miles and still see fairly well and believe me numbers are down big time.With the large numbers of coyotes fawn mortality will also be high so I cant see a dramatic change in the near future but our game department must as the season is still a go.

sheephunter
04-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Im siding more with Packs version than Sheeps though I have seen a few more antelope of late closer to the Suffield block area.Im no expert or biologist but I put on a lot of miles and still see fairly well and believe me numbers are down big time.With the large numbers of coyotes fawn mortality will also be high so I cant see a dramatic change in the near future but our game department must as the season is still a go.

LOL...I didn't know I had a version...I just passed along that I saw quite a few antelope on a drive yesterday and was pleasantly surprised compared to what I saw on the same drive last year.....I know I didn't imagine them ;) Didn't mean this to turn into a huge debate or a discussion about antelope management....I was just passing along some observations from one spot in the province on one day in time. It was a nice day (except for the ticks) and it was nice to see quite a few antelope....let's leave it at that. Oh ya, the clubhouse in the Foremost bar was quite good too....now that is my version :)

rem338win
04-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Stop the propaganda. This thread is useless without pics. Tj if you drove 1100kms without a shutter-clicker I am dissappointed. Show me the goats.:)

sheephunter
04-26-2012, 10:36 AM
LOL...lots of excuses why I didn't take many and only had a short lens with me but here's one of the better bucks we saw.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/536565_10151491728080400_667430399_12290326_741696 783_n.jpg

James M
04-26-2012, 11:15 AM
T.J. you're getting me pumped. Still wondering whether or not to use my priority 10 this fall or not.

Rackmastr
04-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Well that solves it....there is only ONE antelope left in Alberta.....pics dont lie....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

whitetail Junkie
04-26-2012, 11:23 AM
T.J. you're getting me pumped. Still wondering whether or not to use my priority 10 this fall or not.

If u know u can get the time off, id go for it.....Theres still some big herds and big bucks around.

Espicially in wmu 144 :)

sheephunter
04-26-2012, 11:25 AM

Ya it's a tough call but even though numbers are still likely down considerably, the lure of very few hunters in the field is a strong one. No doubt a few good bucks around and not many hunters to compete with....I'd go for it!

ishootbambi
04-26-2012, 11:28 AM
We definitely lost some during the winter of 2010 but "all" might be a bit harsh. The migration was undoubtedly a bit screwed up with high water and heavy spring snow last year as well. Like I said, nothing scientific about what I saw but I was pleasantly surprised with the numbers we saw....some decent bucks as well. We saw many Ferruginous Hawks as well, so they seem to be doing quite well, at least in that area. Spring definitely came early to the southeast part of Alberta...now they just need some rain.

from what i saw on my daily drives in february, they began to show up pretty good through that month. the only explanation....again unscientific....is migration. i wasnt sure if they had just moved around within alberta to where i was seeing them, or up form montana. im still not sure of that, but i am as sure as you that numbers are up a bunch from the same time last year. we will find out for sure when they fly in june or july.

and not substantial yet, but there was a little rain this morning with more scheduled in the next few days. i hope it pours lots because you are right about the dry conditions. its brutally dry right now.

lannie
04-26-2012, 11:32 AM
LOL...lots of excuses why I didn't take many and only had a short lens with me but here's one of the better bucks we saw.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/536565_10151491728080400_667430399_12290326_741696 783_n.jpg

Very good Picture, it actually looks like a painting.

Okotokian
04-26-2012, 11:41 AM
This is very good news. I've built up a fair bit of priority on both trophy and non-trophy. Maybe enough to decide if I want to actually hunt one this year, or 999 again. Will a 5 get me anything? ;)

yeah yeah, I know I could go look up last year's draw stats. LOL

sheephunter
04-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Will a 5 get me anything? ;)

A chance to play again next year !

Sledhead71
04-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Have been seeing increasing numbers like ISB mentions in his post. Trophy quality, well there is a couple of pigs still out there roaming the native grasses.. Sure nice to see and the speculation from last years terrible winter seems to be better than some have indicated.

Might draw a tag this year, been waiting for a different goat and have finally found one to look forward too..

Good luck everyone !

elkamaholic
04-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Well that solves it....there is only ONE antelope left in Alberta.....pics dont lie....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

LOL. I will see if I can dig up one of my photos of the last grizzly bear too

rem338win
04-26-2012, 01:28 PM

We should name him, and have Pack stand guard all year.

Springer
04-26-2012, 03:18 PM
The advantages i see for the guys who get drawn is it wont be crowded and less competition with other hunters.
Thanks for the update TJ , Thats positive news.

steve
04-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Maybe they will hand out a large amount of tags?

trapshooter
04-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Just got back from Sask, saw a TON of antelope and lots of bucks too!

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z419/Photography_Hunting_Trapshooting/SnowGeese91of1.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z419/Photography_Hunting_Trapshooting/SnowGeese11of1-1.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z419/Photography_Hunting_Trapshooting/SnowGeese81of1.jpg

H380
04-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Waiting for Pack to raise his head ..:party0052:

Pikebreath
04-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Makes sense to me that a hard winter / wet weather would push a many antelope south and and a drier / warmer winter / spring would bring them back.

cranker
04-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Rumour has it, SRD will ask the outfitters to not use all there permits due to resident tags being decreased last year and this year. There way of keeping the peace, what a load of crap. They get asked, we get shown the tag numbers after the draw.

I doubt they will, they had a good season last year, they shot good bucks with no residents in there way. Look at there sites, very nice bucks.

elkhunter11
04-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Rumour has it, SRD will ask the outfitters to not use all there permits due to resident tags being decreased last year and this year.

:sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol:

ishootbambi
04-27-2012, 09:07 AM
^^ gotta agree. you dont really believe a story like that i hope.

cranker
04-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Like I said a rumour, from a good source, we"ll see.
Hope the antelope numbers are coming back, great to hear.

npauls
04-27-2012, 04:43 PM
There was a really nice looking antelope watching me the other day when I was out in the southeast in my pontoon. It probably stood there for close to half an hour just watching chuck flies.

I don't know if out by med. hat is getting any rain but it has been raining around Lethbridge quite a bit for the last 2 days and I heard it was suppose to be the same all weekend.

ishootbambi
04-27-2012, 10:34 PM
There was a really nice looking antelope watching me the other day when I was out in the southeast in my pontoon. It probably stood there for close to half an hour just watching chuck flies.

I don't know if out by med. hat is getting any rain but it has been raining around Lethbridge quite a bit for the last 2 days and I heard it was suppose to be the same all weekend.

rained pretty good all day today and even a bit of snow in the evening. good to see the much needed moisture.

the antelope you speaking of around the back end at bullshead? there was one came for a drink within 40 yards of my boat on sunday.

npauls
04-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Nope more down by writing on stone area.

I couldn't believe it just sat there and watched us. It looked like it had a limp so that might have had something to do with it.

It had some pretty big horns on it as far I can tell. I am not a hunter but they seemed quite a bit taller and thicker then most of the ones I have seen.

338Bluff
04-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Saw 24 near Macklin a couple weeks back. Just the other day I spotted a very decent 70+ incher hanging around the Forestburg Mine site. No open season in either area, but nice to see.

npauls
04-30-2012, 11:53 PM
I seen 6 more today south of Lethbridge. I thought they were more east then here but I guess they do get around this area once and awhile.

Glad to see them roaming around. It has been awhile since I have seen any in Southern Alberta before this spring.

blackpheasant
05-01-2012, 01:34 AM
I seen 6 more today south of Lethbridge. I thought they were more east then here but I guess they do get around this area once and awhile.

Glad to see them roaming around. It has been awhile since I have seen any in Southern Alberta before this spring.

They run as far west as Cardston...

lone wolf
05-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Where did they come from?

............. most likely Montana. Numbers in this are are also heavily influenced by migration.

npauls
05-01-2012, 10:50 AM
They run as far west as Cardston...

Hmm good to know.

I will have to keep an eye out for them when I am down in that area looking for new fishing spots.