PDA

View Full Version : Wolf incident

BANG
04-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Just received a report about a incident that happened to a buddy a few days ago.
He is a operator and was checking one of his wells when a pack approached him and he had to climb the jack and remain there for over a hour till they moved off far enough for him to climb down and bolt for his truck.
Elk river road/sabre road area
good luck!

duncan4
04-27-2012, 02:50 PM
wow thats crazy. did he clean his pants out shortly after?? they musta be hungryyyyyyy! someone should take some bait out there im thinking. or is it to late in the year to bait.

twytter
04-27-2012, 02:55 PM
yea and i got attack by a wolf pack last year,and then again there is some idiots out their saying that wolf doesnt attack people

thunderheart
04-27-2012, 02:55 PM
thats gotta make a man nervous alrighty .....i had always heard/understood that wolves will leave a man alone.... perhaps thats just wives tales
glad your chum is ok and lived to tell the story

thunderheart
04-27-2012, 02:56 PM
yea and i got attack by a wolf pack last year,and then again there is some idiots out their saying that wolf doesnt attack people yup sounds like wives tale what i was told .. interesting info thanks

twytter
04-27-2012, 03:08 PM
they only thing that saved my life from these wolf was my 300win mag,i dont know if they knew i was a human,cause i was hunting elk and was all camo up and had some elk urine all over my clothes to take away the human smell,but they came after me

35 whelen
04-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Apack killed a student a few years ago in points north sask ;

nekred
04-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Wolves killing humans has always been "suppressed" information. there have been many documented incidents but is poo poo'd as wives tales by the government.

the whole concept of a "noble" wolf is a joke...

A wolf pack is like a street gang.... very similar behaviour...

Bigwoodsman
04-27-2012, 04:36 PM
they only thing that saved my life from these wolf was my 300win mag,i dont know if they knew i was a human,cause i was hunting elk and was all camo up and had some elk urine all over my clothes to take away the human smell,but they came after me

Sounds like you were baiting them! Just kidding I know what you mean, I too was out calling moose a few years back, and look up and there were 3 of them trotting down the cut line towards me. When I stepped out from cover they scattered, went into the bush and started to howl.

BW

TBark
04-27-2012, 04:47 PM
I don't doubt that. We stopped to take a few pics of a wolf pack west of Abraham Lake a few weeks back, and you'd think they'd of taken off when I got out of the truck, well they actually came my way.

TBark

kodiakken
04-27-2012, 05:02 PM
I guess we got ours trained better they see a vehicle and they are going, going, gone.
They can really get moving when a piece of lead goes over their head.

Ken.

lone wolf
04-27-2012, 05:16 PM

True - however I remember reading that they had become habituated to people, and had lost heir natural fear of man. Additionally they had been hanging around the camp(s) eating scraps and garbage.

CaberTosser
04-27-2012, 05:30 PM
My recent issue of F&S has a one page article of a woman in her 50's who was bowhunting alone in Idaho and had a wolf come in on her. She killed it with the .44 Mag she had on her at 10 feet; it wasn't a case of feigned self-defense in order to kill the thing as she had a tag for one anyways, but was hoping for different quarry that day. The wolf was 90lbs, the article has a photo.

Grizzly Adams
04-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Here's another one.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/national_world/2010/03/12/alaska-woman-likely-killed-by-wolves.html

Grizz

albertadeer
04-27-2012, 06:26 PM
I have heard lots of stories from grader, skidder, Cat and truck op's of packs of wolves coming in for a close look while working in cut-blocks, some packs running with graders and Cat's for a few hours. One half deaf trucker claimed he was bending over chaining up and he felt something "smelling" his arse, so he whipped around to see 4 wolves looking at him.

I have had more then a few close encounters with Canis Lupus. Never seem to have a gun with me though.

Redfrog
04-27-2012, 06:33 PM
Well it can't all be an wolves tail. Who here hasn't heard of Little Red Riding Hood's Grandma? I mean c'mon it was all over the news for a hundred years.:thinking-006:

bessiedog
04-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Back in 02, I drove into Chinook Lake with my 4 year old to get one last open water fishing trip.
We were the only ones by the lake when we heard a pack howl, and they were damn close!
1/2 hour later I saw them just inside the bush about 60ft away as we walked back to the truck. No fear, checking us out.

I only had my knife. The one time I left my dog at home.

Geeze! With these stories, I think back to that time and... Brrrrr!

Grizzly Adams
04-27-2012, 07:02 PM
From the Sulphur River cabin guest book in the Willmore. :D

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1230/4210318/8819103/143280508.jpg

Grizz

Hagalaz
04-27-2012, 07:19 PM
I have seen lone wolves and wolf packs before, but they have never come towards me or acted aggressively.

This doesn't mean that I trust them, that would be foolish. The thing to remember is that they are wild animals and carnivores, treat them as you would any other possibly dangerous wild animal. If one or more of them approaches you, don't think that they are just being "curious" or "friendly". This is just nonsense that has been created by animal activists & children's authors (as Nekred said: the whole concept of a "noble" wolf is a joke...).

If you are armed, respond in the only language they know. If you can show them that attacking you may result in the deaths of one or more wolves, they will look for prey elsewhere.

steve
04-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Less tall tales. More shooting.

st99
04-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Last december I called in a pack and shot the alpha female, while I was checking her out, the pack came back. They stayed in the cover at about 40 yds for over 15 minutes barking and howling at me. They finally moved off when I walked toward them barking at them. I hoped I could get a shot at one. I must admit, I felt small in my shorts.

thegunman
04-27-2012, 09:13 PM
wow thats crazy. did he clean his pants out shortly after?? they musta be hungryyyyyyy! someone should take some bait out there im thinking. or is it to late in the year to bait.

For wolves, never too late.........:)
Especially killer wolves:)

Big Daddy Badger
04-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Lots of documented incidents of wolves attacking people in Europe.
Why would their behavior be much different here?

waterninja
04-28-2012, 01:33 AM
different tax structure in europe. there they have to move quick. here they can wait in the bush knowing they'll get you in the end.
OOPS wrong site

bigbucksya
04-28-2012, 06:20 AM
[QUOTE=lone wolf;1414137]True - however I remember reading that they had become habituated to people, and had lost heir natural fear of man. Additionally they had been hanging around the
(s) eating scraps and garbage.[/QUOT

good wolf is a dead wolf
:mad0100:

demolition101
04-28-2012, 06:34 AM
Wolves killing humans has always been "suppressed" information. there have been many documented incidents but is poo poo'd as wives tales by the government.

the whole concept of a "noble" wolf is a joke...

A wolf pack is like a street gang.... very similar behaviour...

They haven't suppress it. The government made a documentary about it. I think it was called "the grey" or something :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Big Daddy Badger
04-28-2012, 07:46 AM
different tax structure in europe. there they have to move quick. here they can wait in the bush knowing they'll get you in the end.
OOPS wrong site:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Good analogy....

Grizzly Adams
04-28-2012, 08:45 AM

Strange part is in that highly populated, industrial area, they want them back. Penalty for shooting one is right up there, in the ten thousand plus Euro zone. Recent case in Germany, where a hunter dispatched one, injured in a road collision. Animal was about toast, but the court found him guilty, saying he should have taken it to a veterinarian. :lol:

Grizz

curtisb
04-28-2012, 10:09 AM
About 7 years ago, right at sunset (early winter); we had 17 of them run us right off Smoke Lake when we were ice fishing. They started coming closer, we packed up. They kept coming closer; we left. We left and they followed to the truck all the way off the lake. There were cubs and every shape and size... afraid of people, I think not... hungry, I think so.

C Taylor
04-28-2012, 10:37 AM
I've always argued that a rifle should be as mandatory as a first aid kit.

chimpac
04-28-2012, 12:03 PM
I got in the habit when I was in boy scouts of carrying what we called a staff. Lord Baden Powell must have thought it was a good idea for scouts to have some protection from bad people and animals.
The staff I carry now is a hoe handle with a big butcher knife welded to a 1/2" bolt that is screwed into the hoe handle. It has a steel sheath to cover the blade and contact the ground. In winter I screw in a harrow tooth that is also good for protection and cutting a hole in ice.
Maybe I would be fast and mean enough to keep a pack of wolves from eating me.

Marko
04-28-2012, 12:10 PM
i've always argued that a rifle should be as mandatory as a first aid kit.

x10

buck-8835
04-28-2012, 09:24 PM

This forum needs a "LIKE" button!! lol

thunderheart
04-28-2012, 09:33 PM

x2
makes me think side arms are a reasonable solution ..wish we could carry. What i used to carry all the time, and think i will again, was a 12 gauge flare pistol like this ... i still have 2 of them from the boat

http://www.cilexplosives.com/12g.html
left side 3rd down

the flares are fast and hot as hell burn a nasty hole into canis lupis .. or at least scare the chit out them and put the run on them all

thunderheart
04-28-2012, 09:43 PM
or one of these babies
http://www.canadaammo.com/product.php?productid=11&cat=3&page=1

Grizzly Adams
04-28-2012, 09:50 PM
x2
makes me think side arms are a reasonable solution ..wish we could carry. What i used to carry all the time, and think i will again, was a 12 gauge flare pistol like this ... i still have 2 of them from the boat

left side 3rd down

the flares are fast and hot as hell burn a nasty hole into canis lupis .. or at least scare the chit out them and put the run on them all

I'm not as confident in them, as you are. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xm9dndA1-0

Grizz

Fulmer
04-28-2012, 09:51 PM
hey chimp i've heard lots about this hoe of yours. Lets see some pictures of this thing. eh?

steve
04-28-2012, 09:58 PM
I got in the habit when I was in boy scouts of carrying what we called a staff. Lord Baden Powell must have thought it was a good idea for scouts to have some protection from bad people and animals.
The staff I carry now is a hoe handle with a big butcher knife welded to a 1/2" bolt that is screwed into the hoe handle. It has a steel sheath to cover the blade and contact the ground. In winter I screw in a harrow tooth that is also good for protection and cutting a hole in ice.
Maybe I would be fast and mean enough to keep a pack of wolves from eating me.

Is this a serious post?

Hagalaz
04-28-2012, 11:12 PM

The only downside is that a forest fire could be started if the shot misses its target.

thunderheart
04-29-2012, 07:35 AM

Grizz
lol ... looks like that idiot shoulda died ... hopefully he doesnt procreate lol

kronk
04-29-2012, 07:45 AM
x2

left side 3rd down

I once saw one that was like a six-gun in .410 built for flares, and bear bangers.

Right now, if I can't pack the shotty, I bring my .22 starting pistol. Makes a good amount of noise, and is an 8-round revolver.

thunderheart
04-29-2012, 07:56 AM
brilliant idea .... :)

i will be carrying my flare gun but the starter pistol sounds great ..no pun intended

deanmc
04-29-2012, 09:28 AM
x2

left side 3rd down

Yes and then you may die in the resulting forest fire.

albertadeer
04-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Yup....Sounds like some people shouldn't be going into the woods....

Wolves are nothing to be afraid of. I have had half a dozen close encounters (10m or less) with the canines. Some at almost arms length. Not once did i have a gun, my bear spray was out but i have never had to use it on wolves.

Instead of worrying about defending yourselves from wolves. Worry about tripping or falling...Thats what claims the most lives out in the great wilderness.....So go buy the best footwear, not a new defender style gun.

If you find yourself surrounded by a pack. Be happy, you are seeing some of natures most fine tuned machines up close......

But yes i know, they can kill you and it does happen. But not if you dont put or get yourself it that situation. Sometimes they will be curious and scare the chit out of you. Yes, you might be attacked....But not likely...

ward
04-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Great post Albertadeer !

thunderheart
04-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Yes and then you may die in the resulting forest fire.

or a comet may hit me .. lol .....but fair enough lol one never knows

timba
04-29-2012, 02:44 PM
One of the operators up here was out in the choper sending gas well pigs and 2 huge wolves charged at the helicopter and walked around the edge of the lease.they never did send that pig.I was down in the area today on the quad and the bigest wolf tracks I have ever seen down there.They wont wont let us carry a gun,I hope bear spray works lol

another wolf a couple weeks ago went after a operators truck tires

top predator
04-29-2012, 09:26 PM
I don't doubt that. We stopped to take a few pics of a wolf pack west of Abraham Lake a few weeks back, and you'd think they'd of taken off when I got out of the truck, well they actually came my way.

TBark

I saw those same ones!! Was 5 of them. When I stopped the truck one laid down in the ditch!!:argue2:

sdkidaho
04-29-2012, 09:43 PM
My recent issue of F&S has a one page article of a woman in her 50's who was bowhunting alone in Idaho and had a wolf come in on her. She killed it with the .44 Mag she had on her at 10 feet; it wasn't a case of feigned self-defense in order to kill the thing as she had a tag for one anyways, but was hoping for different quarry that day. The wolf was 90lbs, the article has a photo.

Here are the pics of that:
http://www.nbcmontana.com/2011/1006/29401213_640X480.jpg

http://www.skinnymoose.com/bbb/files/2011/09/wolfattackswoman-580x434.jpg

Look at the size of that thing. Even if that thing wasn't "charging" me, if it was even just accidentally running in my direction, I wouldn't think twice about dropping it.

CaberTosser
04-29-2012, 10:03 PM
That's the one. The lower non-bloodied photo is the published pic, interesting to see the other side as well because reading the story I was thinking "Where's all the bullet wounds?"

Thanks for posting:)

Grizzly Adams
04-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Yup....Sounds like some people shouldn't be going into the woods....

Wolves are nothing to be afraid of. I have had half a dozen close encounters (10m or less) with the canines. Some at almost arms length. Not once did i have a gun, my bear spray was out but i have never had to use it on wolves.

Instead of worrying about defending yourselves from wolves. Worry about tripping or falling...Thats what claims the most lives out in the great wilderness.....So go buy the best footwear, not a new defender style gun.

If you find yourself surrounded by a pack. Be happy, you are seeing some of natures most fine tuned machines up close......

But yes i know, they can kill you and it does happen. But not if you dont put or get yourself it that situation. Sometimes they will be curious and scare the chit out of you. Yes, you might be attacked....But not likely...

Not likely, but be a bummer if they decided you were tonight's supper. Could really ruin your day:lol:

Grizz

albertadeer
04-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Not likely, but be a bummer if they decided you were tonight's supper. Could really ruin your day:lol:

Oh man would it ever! In the end i guarantee one would wish it was a bear or cougar attacking them...

I was doing Regeneration surveys in cut-blocks south of Slave lake 3 years ago.

It was mid November and there was deer sign all over. I was walking along grunting and bleating (while working) i was right along the edge of the block and heard foot steps, i thought it was a deer coming so i got my bear spray out. Soon a huge black wolf bounded out right at me. It stopped at less then 5yds and stared at me for a few seconds before retreating to the timber, i then heard something behind me and whipped around to see 3 more wolves running away from me...I was supposed to be dinner. I will never forget those yellow eyes staring into my soul, creepy feeling...

This happened in a helicopter access area, chopper was on a fuel run...I was alone for another 2 hrs......

And of course i tried to call them back in after....I got them to howl for a while, but they soon moved off to kill some deer....

Elkaholic6
04-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Oh man would it ever! In the end i guarantee one would wish it was a bear or cougar attacking them...

I was doing Regeneration surveys in cut-blocks south of Slave lake 3 years ago.

It was mid November and there was deer sign all over. I was walking along grunting and bleating (while working) i was right along the edge of the block and heard foot steps, i thought it was a deer coming so i got my bear spray out. Soon a huge black wolf bounded out right at me. It stopped at less then 5yds and stared at me for a few seconds before retreating to the timber, i then heard something behind me and whipped around to see 3 more wolves running away from me...I was supposed to be dinner. I will never forget those yellow eyes staring into my soul, creepy feeling...

This happened in a helicopter access area, chopper was on a fuel run...I was alone for another 2 hrs......

And of course i tried to call them back in after....I got them to howl for a while, but they soon moved off to kill some deer....

I want your job ha.

RobG10
04-30-2012, 11:56 PM
I want your job ha.

x2 hahaha

not that I'm overly concerned about it but what are the regs for carrying a 12g on fishing/camping trips through the spring and summer months?

Big Daddy Badger
05-01-2012, 12:00 AM
x2

left side 3rd down

Or just burn down a half million acres of saleable lumber...

Attila
05-01-2012, 07:16 PM
2 weeks ago me and my buddy were bear hunting when we heard a howl close to us we howled back just to see if we could get them to respond, as we were walking up the ridge we saw 3 of them running in our direction they came 300 yards before they stopped. They saw us but didn't scatter, I ended up taking a shot dropping one.

Rather Be Hunting
05-02-2012, 12:58 PM
x2 hahaha

not that I'm overly concerned about it but what are the regs for carrying a 12g on fishing/camping trips through the spring and summer months?

No problemo!
Carry it whenever you feel like it.:character0110:
Not in a park, naturally!
RBH

chimpac
05-17-2012, 10:47 PM
hey chimp i've heard lots about this hoe of yours. Lets see some pictures of this thing. eh?

I finally got photobucket to down load for me.

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv297/chimpac/DSC02371.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv297/chimpac/DSC02372.jpg

I put the presto pin thru a hole in the tooth to keep the cover on and stop the point from sinking to far in soft ground.
I use the blade in summer and the tooth in winter, its better than an axe for cutting holes for ice fishing.

762Russian
05-17-2012, 11:43 PM
I've come across wolf, bear and bobcat.

Wolf was curious but kept his distance, black bear ran away like his arse was on fire, and the bobcat didn't give a damn; just ambled past.

Can't say I'm much worried of them.

Dunezilla
05-19-2012, 02:20 PM
The only pack of wolves I have seen was when I was on summer vacation. They were chasing down a deer in the old mines in 438.

However, I had on 4 occasions meet up with lone wolves & we looked at each other & whet in different directions other than this one time after I shot a deer & gutted it.

I came back to my vehicle & there was this wolf 40 yards away on a big cut line. Well we looked at each other but the wolf had no interest in me, it was only interested in the aroma coming from the gutted deer. The wolf started into the bush towards the deer & I hopped into the jeep to go to the spot where I dragged the deer. I got the deer & the wolf got the guts.

My biggest fear while hunting was being chased by moose, yes moose, whether male or female. The bull chased me probably because he did have a mate & well he was more than likely protecting was was his.

He had me cornered (& if you knew the area you would know why I was cornered), anyhow is was 45 yards from me when we both stopped running. We just stared at each other for awhile then he moved back into the trees & I left the other way to try to seek around so that I could get back out of that area.

The next day in a different part of the place I was hunting in a female moose came from some small bush & started chasing me & I ran but she stopped & went back to that bush & I am guessing that maybe there was a calf around.

Of course those were the chasing stories, & the other moose stories were we scared each other silly stories.

pickrel pat
05-19-2012, 03:07 PM
wolves are just as afraid of me as you are....... 20 years ago i was working for mcgregers doing the powerline on the chinchaga road. when everyone was out working they would be in the bush a ways watching, when coffee or lunch breaks came, work stopped and everyone jumped in a crew truck..... as soon as this happenned, the wolves would come out and sit 20 or 30 yards away from the trucks. never failed.

b_ran2000
05-19-2012, 03:32 PM

Grizz

wow... what a quality individual...

Elk Hunter 55
05-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Strange part is in that highly populated, industrial area, they want them back. Penalty for shooting one is right up there, in the ten thousand plus Euro zone. Recent case in Germany, where a hunter dispatched one, injured in a road collision. Animal was about toast, but the court found him guilty, saying he should have taken it to a veterinarian.

Here's the article about the hunter shooting a wolf in Germany.

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20120425-42151.html

The Germans and Europeans in general have no concept of how dangerous wildlife can be. I now live and work in Germany and I can tell you that over here most people believe in the HOLY WOLF. The possibility that one is not at the top of the food chain never enters into their consciousness.

On the other hand the only bear in Germany was shot because it raided a farmer's bee hive.

Cheers,
EH

p.s. I've got to get back to Alberta for some real hunting this fall.

gutline homestead
05-20-2012, 09:46 PM
thats gotta make a man nervous alrighty .....i had always heard/understood that wolves will leave a man alone.... perhaps thats just wives tales
glad your chum is ok and lived to tell the story

wrong.they do.just the bears steal their kills and get blamed for it all.They do hunt people and if you see one broadside. start looking behind you ,get ready.

Buckhunter,1
07-22-2013, 09:59 PM
I remember a few years ago me and my cousin where doing an archery moose hunt in 503 wandering river area and a pack of wolves where trying to push us where they wanted us , but we also had cow moose urine sprayed on us.

buckman
07-24-2013, 08:43 AM
More wolf numbers in most areas that equals more encounters.

As the wolves get used to humans their fear will diminish....unless we shoot them at every opportunity.

I would like the season to be year round. I see/hear them often in the summer.

PBHunter
07-24-2013, 09:04 AM
"Wild wolves are naturally aggressive but are generally cautious enough to occasionally appear timid around humans. Wolves usually try to avoid contact with people, to the point of even abandoning their kills when an approaching human is detected, but there are several reported circumstances in which wolves have been recorded to act aggressively toward humans.

Compared to other carnivorous mammals known to attack humans in general, the frequency with which wolves have been recorded to kill or prey on people is much lower, indicating that though potentially dangerous, wolves are among the least threatening for their size and predatory potential.[1]
"

Source http://www.aws.vcn.com/wolf_attacks_on_humans.html

Wolf Attacks appear to be much more common in India / other areas of Asia, interesting

jdog0
07-24-2013, 03:45 PM
This is all kinda weird for me... I have ran into wolves quite often for the last two years. Once every year, i ran into their kill (it wasnt very fresh but enough to creep the **** out of me) lol... Once, i was tracking a deer. While waiting for my buddies, almost dark, i heard a sound behind me there was a wolf running around me. When he noticed that i saw hime, he took off. I loaded my gun and try to see if there were more but nope... They were just gone...

So, i think it all depends on the circumstances? There is so much food for them that i dont think they will risk it going after humans but who knows... Maybe if they think is an easy prey like a kid or something like that?

DiabeticKripple
07-24-2013, 04:15 PM
A guy at work was working on a wellhead when he heard growling behind him. He looked back and saw a wolf 20yrds away. He grabbed his plunger picker as a beating stick and made his way to the shack. He looked in the bushes and saw 4 more standing there. He had to wait in the shack for half an hour before he could get out. He called into the office during this and the guys said they could hear the wolves growling and howling in the background and they were laughing their azzes off while this guy is scared chitless. We call him lil red riding hood now

And my other buddy at Rainbow Lake had a pack come in on him when he was on a battery and he climbed onto the tank and waited 3 hours before they got far enough away to make a dash for his truck on the other side of the lease.

KegRiver
07-24-2013, 06:05 PM
I was born and raised in Wolf country. In my memory there was one Wolf attack on a human in the district, and that was a clear case of mistaken identity.

However, I would not dismiss a claim of a Wolf attacking a human without knowing a lot more about it then a second hand story.

I know this. For a lot of years wolves were shot on sight by many people.
They were trapped and poisoned and killed by various other means. Run over on the highways for instance.
In short, many Wolves had good reason to be afraid of humans.

I also know that Wolves are incredibly smart and fast learners. And we all know that they are cunning and aggressive hunters.

Given that, I have no doubt that a wolf that has lost it's fear of humans, might well start to think about humans as possible prey.

For a good number of recent years, many people stopped hunting, got rid of their guns or left them at home or in hiding.

I have seen wolf numbers sky rocket over the last couple of decades.

It isn't a stretch to think that some of those Wolves may have lost their fear of humans and are now looking at us as possible prey.

So although I have not read about or heard about any Wolf attacks on humans, I certainly would say it wouldn't happen.

scrapper
07-24-2013, 09:37 PM
yea and i got attack by a wolf pack last year,and then again there is some idiots out their saying that wolf doesnt attack people

Hmmm you say you got attacked by a wolf pack, was that actually attacked, wolf attacks are rare but almost always fatal if its a pack. More details would be good. Wolves can be curious animals, if a pack approached me I would climb to safety as well, not sure I would call it an attack though.

scrapper
07-24-2013, 09:42 PM

That incident had some extenuating circumstances, they had been feeding most of the year at the dump and had completely lost there fear of humans.

scrapper
07-24-2013, 09:57 PM

I love this comment, the part about the elk urine is classic, the guy is walking around the bush covered in elk ****, do you think that might attract the attention of wolves, wolves that feed on elk. Is it possible they were tracking you because you smelled like a cow elk...hmmm hate to be the one to burst your bubble but you were not attacked by wolves, they were just wondering what the hell you were doing. This is where the problem comes from people running around telling people they were attacked by wolves, but when the details come out, it is some guy wondering around covered in elk **** wondering why wolves are following him. Wow. Hey pal if you tie a pork chop around your neck and walk into a dog pound you are going to notice they all follow you around too....sheesh.

scrapper
07-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Guys, think about what your saying and reading, these stories all have a something in common. I can walk onto any battery or well sight in Alberta and what do I find......garbage, the remains of some guys breakfast or lunch ....a food source for wolves in the area. They soon associate humans with food, these are not wolf attacks, these are wolves that associate people with food. Come on I can't be the only one to connect the dots here. They hear the guy pull up, it like the dinner bell going off, and they come running. These are just like the poster said incidents, don't confuse them with attacks....

Speckle55
07-24-2013, 10:50 PM
Called them in 4 times(3howling /one Elk distress call) last year and shot one of 5 / and counted a Coup on one.. the other 2 times were in Provincial areas

here is a watch to get your neck hair up

enjoy

David:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfb0-U0ydj8

crookedkbw
07-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Just received a report about a incident that happened to a buddy a few days ago.
He is a operator and was checking one of his wells when a pack approached him and he had to climb the jack and remain there for over a hour till they moved off far enough for him to climb down and bolt for his truck.
Elk river road/sabre road area
good luck!

Hey BANG, is this the same elk river road near brazeau? (Only one I can think)

If so where is sabre road? I hunt near elk river and wolf lake, hoping I don't bump into wolves in the future however next time I'm out there I might have some on the trail cam! There was a couple huge wolf prints in the mud when I put up the cam!

BANG
07-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Yep same area sabre is past the peco a ways used to be marked .i have not been out there for awhile.
Seen many wolfs in that area over the years.
One year i had a bear camp set up.i was in my tarp enclosed solar shower when a buddy stopped by and he seen a wolf from my camp ,he grabbed my rifle and dropped it while i continued to shower.lol

BigJon
07-25-2013, 11:28 AM
I finally got photobucket to down load for me.

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv297/chimpac/DSC02371.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv297/chimpac/DSC02372.jpg

I put the presto pin thru a hole in the tooth to keep the cover on and stop the point from sinking to far in soft ground.
I use the blade in summer and the tooth in winter, its better than an axe for cutting holes for ice fishing.

This is what you take for a walk in the forest?

Good grief...

DiabeticKripple
07-25-2013, 11:49 AM
We have a helicopter run at work and te operators always see packs running around on the ground.

They also spot elk for the hunters on the ground and point them in the right direction haha.