PDA

View Full Version : Kootenay Lake

Rafter_G
04-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Just spent three days there, out of Kaslo. 15 pound Rainbows, 10-12 pound Bulls, and its just getting started, a blast to get tuned up for our season.

TyreeUM
04-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Just spent three days there, out of Kaslo. 15 pound Rainbows, 10-12 pound Bulls, and its just getting started, a blast to get tuned up for our season.

pics?

Rafter_G
04-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Not even the foggiest idea how I would go about posting them.

Speckle55
04-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Not even the foggiest idea how I would go about posting them.

do you have picture on your computer if you do check the size if they are bigger than 600 x 600 then if you have a hotmail acount you make a new message and take your pic's and e-mail yourself them in the proper size back to yourself .. when you make message add picture the resize using lay out .. pick largest size .. then when you get picture in message to you right click on pic and send to your pictures on computer and then make a message on here and on the paper clip above message add picture just upload picture .then go out of upload and go back to paper clip hi-lite your picture and it will added it to message.. hope that helped .. the other way is posted on here

very nice Kootenay trip Grats... did you use downrigger or were they up top

David:)

Goater
04-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Posting pictures 1-2-3
Second Sticky in General Discussion

Kingfisher
04-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Rafter if you want to post a few pictures I will help you out. Send me a pm and I will give you my email address. It will only take a minute and you can have the pics on here.

Rob

Rafter_G
04-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Went with Brad Stubbs of Kootenay Kingfisher, super good guy. Rainbows were starting to chase flies on top, we may have been just a hair early, but we caught some anyway. Bulls were all over the place, we caught some on top, but most on down riggers. The plan was to go with him, get a clue, and take my boat over there, but we had so much fun, my boat can stay home. I think I posted a picture of a rainbow and a bull, but no tellin' with my skills.

upongrassy
04-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Thanks for sharing, dream of catching bows like that.

Brewmaster
04-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Great looking fish! I'm heading out that way in a few weeks with hopes of landing a couple of those rainbows. How deep were you catching the bulls with the downrigger?

Kingfisher
04-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Some nice fish buddy. Those will be great on the BBQ. I can't wait to get out there too. How much was the charter?

Rob

ReconWilly
04-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Awesome fish, thanks for posting, guess i'm gonna have to figure out how to get some pics up too.

Rafter_G
04-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Brads web site is www.kootenaykingfisher.com, he has a bunch of packages. I dont recomend many, but him I will. We were anywhere from 10- 60 feet down. Its a big lake, I could see us having spent a ton of time if we had of just ran out there and goofed around on our own. Is there anywhere in Alberta to get Kootenay Fly Company flies? Nakusp is as close as I can find them.

Kingfisher
04-29-2012, 01:10 PM
I am not sure if there is any place in town that has the exact ones your talking about. I know the Fish'n Hole has a large selection of bucktails at the back of the store in the fly section.

I know for sure you can get them in Fernie at one of the fly shops in town.

Were there any that you used that were the best producer? I have used the purple/white one's and the blue/grey/ white and green/white that worked well in previous years.

http://gallery.flybc.ca/albums/album313/Kootneay_Lake_Bucktail_Information.jpg
This is by far my most favorite and most productive Kootenay Lake bucktail

http://gallery.flybc.ca/albums/album313/Kootneay_Lake_Bucktail_Numbers_and_Colors.jpghttp://gallery.flybc.ca/albums/album313/Kootneay_Lake_200_Series_Bucktails.jpg

Rob

tacklerunner
04-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Brads web site is www.kootenaykingfisher.com, he has a bunch of packages. I dont recomend many, but him I will. We were anywhere from 10- 60 feet down. Its a big lake, I could see us having spent a ton of time if we had of just ran out there and goofed around on our own. Is there anywhere in Alberta to get Kootenay Fly Company flies? Nakusp is as close as I can find them.

You can order them online from Randy at Gill N Gift. Also, just let him know when you are planning to fish and he will select the best colours for that time of year for you. Just email him.

http://www.gillandgift.com/

I am not sure if there is any place in town that has the exact ones your talking about. I know the Fish'n Hole has a large selection of bucktails at the back of the store in the fly section.

I know for sure you can get them in Fernie at one of the fly shops in town.

Were there any that you used that were the best producer? I have used the purple/white one's and the blue/grey/ white and green/white that worked well in previous years.

http://gallery.flybc.ca/albums/album313/Kootneay_Lake_Bucktail_Information.jpg
This is by far my most favorite and most productive Kootenay Lake bucktail

http://gallery.flybc.ca/albums/album313/Kootneay_Lake_Bucktail_Numbers_and_Colors.jpghttp://gallery.flybc.ca/albums/album313/Kootneay_Lake_200_Series_Bucktails.jpg

Rob

Thanks for that list!!! I lost mine.

Kingfisher
04-29-2012, 02:08 PM
That list is an older one. I think there are others that they have added to the list. So if you get a newer list then please post it.

Just a tip for those that may go fishing out on Kootenay Lake. Keep a copy of the list. A lot of time the locals will be on the radio and they may just say 203 is working well. If you have the list you can check and see what color they are talking about.

Rob

chubbdarter
04-29-2012, 07:57 PM
That list is an older one. I think there are others that they have added to the list. So if you get a newer list then please post it.

Just a tip for those that may go fishing out on Kootenay Lake. Keep a copy of the list. A lot of time the locals will be on the radio and they may just say 203 is working well. If you have the list you can check and see what color they are talking about.

Rob

hahahahhah,,,ever see those beef jerky commercials messing with sasqautch. Well this is a fun game for the locals called Messing with Albertans.

The great local anglers and the Pendoreille boys call flies by names and if you break in and ask the air will go dead or they will reply its kinda sorta like a green one. Wanna break the code you best be in the tavern after lips get loose

Only time they dont play the game is during the Fuzz Derby.

p.s. the bigger kokes are back

Rafter_G
04-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Off the new Kootenay Fly Company list, what we used and what caught,
211- Brn/Grn/Yel/Wht ---- Rainbow center Flash
215- Gry/Wht ----- Rainbow "
219- Grn/Blk/Wht ---- Pearl "

Hope that helps.

TyreeUM
04-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Wow great looking fish! I hope to make it out to that lake in the near future, thanks for posting this pics!

rielbowhunter
07-24-2012, 04:40 PM
I am out here on kootenay lake, near boswell. we have tryed different bucktails, plugs, dogs, and lots of different rapela's. with no luck! let's hope this evening is better. Anyone have any luck? tips for this time of year?

tacklerunner
07-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Put in the time and troll the middle of the lake for the big ones. Troll your flies fast; no less than 3.5 mph. Best advice I can give you this time of year.

rielbowhunter
07-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks Tacklerunner, I will try the middle. and all flys tonight. with two planner boards. today I caught a 16" rainbow, just casting on the side of the beach, well my kids were swimming. (five of diamonds), LOL.

Duramaximos
07-25-2012, 10:02 PM
If I'm reading you right, you're suggesting fishing the surface at this time of year? Just want to confirm. I have almost zero experience fishing Kootenay lake but I assumed the fish would be in cooler, deeper water in the summer.

quiteeye
07-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Gerard rainbow, I know a guy who's got one 26lbs & 23 lbs

tacklerunner
07-26-2012, 12:21 PM
If I'm reading you right, you're suggesting fishing the surface at this time of year? Just want to confirm. I have almost zero experience fishing Kootenay lake but I assumed the fish would be in cooler, deeper water in the summer.

Big lake. Cold water. They can be deeper but Rainbows feed above the thermocline which is in the top 20 FOW. Bulls and dollys hang below the thermocline. Typically an injured kokanee or one that got separated from the school gets chased up right to the surface trying to escape and the big bows look for them as an easy meal.

It would be nice to fish hardware on downriggers at 50 & 80 FOW and hair on top with planer boards but you gotta troll hair fast. Most plugs don't have proper action at that speed. A couple that do work at higher speeds are the live target smelt and apex hockey sticks (the thinner ones not the wide 'slow troll' ones).

Duramaximos
07-26-2012, 02:39 PM
If you had to choose one or the other for this time of year, would it be flies on top or hardware on the rigger?

Duramaximos
07-26-2012, 02:54 PM
I forgot to mention I don't care if I'm catching bows or bulls...

deschambault
07-26-2012, 08:28 PM
This time of year I generally fish Apex's and Lyman plugs 40 to 80.

jriad
07-26-2012, 08:32 PM
I'll be heading up to upper arrow again late August. Same idea or would they be deeper then 40-80?

Last year when I went in August only caught pike minnows which I was informed I was trolling too slow. But I've also heard that summer can be the toughest time on these lakes.

chubbdarter
07-28-2012, 12:14 PM
I am out here on kootenay lake, near boswell. we have tryed different bucktails, plugs, dogs, and lots of different rapela's. with no luck! let's hope this evening is better. Anyone have any luck? tips for this time of year?

RBH...call me its too much and too difficult to type/explain
Ive got 2 friends on the water now and they have done really well the whole week considering the time of year. In short my koot box is with them and you can borrow from it. CustomTuned LT's