PDA

View Full Version : First Bowkill

Islander
03-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Got out for a quick gopher shoot today and my stepson, 11, got his first kill with the bow. He saved up for a while and finally got his first bow in January (Diamond Edge). After a few trips so far this year, he was finally able to break the ice on a decent-sized male who obviously had a death wish; he kept popping up after the first two misses, and the third time was the charm. He was pretty proud of himself, and needless to say, so was I. I would post a pic, but apparently its way too big, and I can't figure out how to resize it. How frustrating. It was a good day, anyhow.

goldscud
03-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Good show. My son(8) and I were out today as well. He got his first one with his pellet gun. The bow is coming out soon.

LuckySeven
03-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Who makes a decent kids compund bow ??? The Diamond Edge you are talking about...what kind of draw weight on something like that ???

For what it's worth....I Bow hunted 3 years before I got my first kill (lots of grouse, and a few gophers) but for my first animal taken I was lucky enough to get an Elk !!! He was only a 3X3, but still an Elk....I'll remember that one forever !!!:D

Islander
03-21-2008, 07:17 PM
I believe the Edges draw weight is from 25-40 lbs. Right now its set at 32 lbs, and I bet it'll be maxed out by the end of the summer. The boy seems stronger by the day during our wrestling matches. Once he is pulling 40 lbs with ease, we'll sell this bow and upgrade. As far as the bow quality goes, we've yet to find anything we don't like about it. Its a pretty solid and smooth-shooting bow. The grand total with six arrows, a case, and the bow package itself was around $550 at Jim-bows, so not real cheap, but better than wasting money on a crappy tire setup.

TreeGuy
03-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Islander, tell your boy congrats. Well done on BOTH of your parts. I can only hope to equal your prowess as a father/mentor with my own son. Oh well, maybe we'll find out tomorrow!:evilgrin:

Tree

PS I'll set you up with the pic posting. You'll have some up this time tomorrow night! Way to go Issac!

TreeGuy
03-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Here's a trial pic for Islander.

Tree

Lethalconnection
03-22-2008, 03:35 PM

Tree

AWESOME!!! i think im gunna try and take a few gophers with my bow this year. What kind of tips are you using for them?? Judo's?

TreeGuy
03-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Here's some more for Islander.

Tree

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/TreeGuy22/IMG_3425.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/TreeGuy22/IMG_3430.jpg

gunslinger
03-23-2008, 03:13 PM
you bet thats a great photo there islander, how old is your son now, mine is turning 11 and we too shoot lots, hes pulling 26 pounds right now he also shoots the diamond edge bow,and is shooting great at 20 yards, jsut the start of season right now so i will sneak it up here shortly, i love watching the young ones hitting the mark.

Islander
03-23-2008, 04:30 PM
He turned 11 in January, so he's not much older than your boy. His accuracy is not real hot at 20 yrds, but at 10 yrds he's punching the yellow pretty well. With time, he'll be great at 20. Sure is nice to see him so pumped.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Hey thats a heck of an Idea , Since fishing is closeing up here at the end of the month I should talk to my buddy whos a Farmer maybe hes got some gophers that need removing , other then that I dont know of anywhere around edm A guy can go out and shoot gophers maybe out at vinca near Bruderheim as its crown land .

catnthehat
03-23-2008, 09:22 PM

Tree
Tha gopher's doing a pretty good Steve Martin imitation!:lol:
Cat

Straight Arrow
03-24-2008, 01:48 PM
Awesome shooting boys! Good to see the youngsters getting out. I'm trying to get my 12 year old daughter up to 40lbs this year, we'll see! Keep on shootin guys!

Cabot
03-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Way to go Islander,

Nice to see a father and sons team. Congratulate your son for me. Maybe you can take him coyote hunting next fall.

Cabot.

ULTRAlite
03-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Whoa that takes me back to my younger days. Great pics and story - thanks for sharing :)

TreeGuy
03-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Way to go Islander,

Nice to see a father and sons team. Congratulate your son for me. Maybe you can take him coyote hunting next fall.

Cabot.

Cabot, Islander already has the kid calling the yotes in! The little guy in the red cap is Treeguy Jr.! Islander has his own pics but is having trouble with 'em. I posted those ones with him as examples, but didn't want to hijack the thread. It was a fantastic day, and I managed to shoot my first ever gopher, which is my fourth 'first' in the world of hunting since September! Thanks for the day Islander!

Tree

Islander
03-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Anytime, Tree (and by anytime, I mean possibly this weekend if you can make it):D

TreeGuy
03-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Islander, get those pics up would ya! If not, email 'em to me and I'll post 'em for ya! A first bow kill is huge. Even better, it's an 11 year old who did it.....awesome!

I'm working up in Didsbury all weekend and teaching a tree pruning course for the next one, but I'll be in touch. I've lined up a piece of property to shoot on also. We'll figure it out. Have fun and good luck!:wave:

Tree

hunter10
02-02-2009, 06:27 PM
I believe the Edges draw weight is from 25-40 lbs. Right now its set at 32 lbs, and I bet it'll be maxed out by the end of the summer. The boy seems stronger by the day during our wrestling matches. Once he is pulling 40 lbs with ease, we'll sell this bow and upgrade. As far as the bow quality goes, we've yet to find anything we don't like about it. Its a pretty solid and smooth-shooting bow. The grand total with six arrows, a case, and the bow package itself was around $550 at Jim-bows, so not real cheap, but better than wasting money on a crappy tire setup.

I have the 09 edge, the weight is 29-60 pounds. Great bow, I love it.

bowtech-boy
03-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Hey hunter10 i got the same bow and its great, won it actually in The Mother Of All Shoots in Red Deer. I also won a bowtech flatliner. Both good bows, ill be keepin the rzr edge and givin the bowtech to my bro when he grows into it