PDA

View Full Version : taxi question

curtisb
04-28-2012, 08:40 PM
I know literally nothing about taxidermy.
I have a couple good sets of WT antlers at home.
Can a taxidermist still provide capes for mounts?
Can I provide pics to a taxidermist and can he make it look like the actual deer?
IF these things are possible, what is a rough cost for a normal deer mount?

Any info or help would be appreciated guys.

Lefty-Canuck
04-28-2012, 08:42 PM
I know literally nothing about taxidermy.
I have a couple good sets of WT antlers at home.
Can a taxidermist still provide capes for mounts?
Can I provide pics to a taxidermist and can he make it look like the actual deer?
IF these things are possible, what is a rough cost for a normal deer mount?

Any info or help would be appreciated guys.

YES

NO, it will look like the antlers from your deer on a cape from another deer.

$500-$1000 roughly....

LC

Redneck Renagade
04-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Some taxidermists do have extra capes on hand your best bet would be to call them and take the skull plates down so they can measure around the bases of the antlers to see if they have one that will fit. I have had a couple mounted in the past that way and one was even a set of antlers I found that were shed

curtisb
04-28-2012, 10:40 PM
You guys know of any good taxis that do have spare capes on hand? One that comes to mind is marcco(i think hes on this board?)

I got 1 thats just under 160 net, younger deer -more common, fairly skinny and taken in early sept. This one im pretty sure would look fairly close regardless.
I got 1 that grosses just under 165 (low net - but much larger) this is the one im worried about, as he was a big neck, big headed, roman nosed narly old alberta deer...

After seeing the many tophy rooms i figure if i want one i should start some time soon...

ishootbambi
04-28-2012, 10:48 PM
the best taxis out there can do a very customized job to try to make your mount look like the deer you shot. for the average taxi work each deer if you look close enough has unique features like roman noses, sometimes a bit of a crooked nose, somehave wide eyes, some a little more narrow. think how much different each person looks. that mannequin under the skin is what provides the framework for facial shape just like a skull in a person.

like i said, for enough money, you can find a taxidermist willing to try to customize your mount, but expect to pay for the service and be willing to wait to have it done as the time it takes is quite a bit more. thats the reason that most taxidermists refuse to do pets. its sooooo hard to capture the details and expressions of someones pet just from pictures, and the same applies to individual deer.