PDA

View Full Version : Called RAP today for the first time

tacklerunner
04-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Didn't get to fish today but was out scouting in an area I've not been before. I pulled up to find a number of individuals fishing with bait in a body of water where there is a bait ban. I did not leave my vehicle to "educate" them or confront them as they were all males and I was out numbered should conflict arise. Instead I took a cell phone pic of them fishing and a pic of their license plate and called RAP. Soon after I recieved a call from an officer confirming my report, to thank me and to say she was on her way. She said that if they were gone by the time she got there, they would attempt to make contact at the poachers address linked to the license plate number. I expect to hear from her with the results but have not heard back as of yet.

prosnowsk8er
04-28-2012, 10:26 PM
good on you!

prosnowsk8er
04-28-2012, 10:27 PM
ps: where abouts was this anyways?

tacklerunner
04-28-2012, 10:44 PM
ps: where abouts was this anyways?

If I told you that would defeat the purpose of me exploring to find some new honey holes. ;)

the local angler
04-28-2012, 11:16 PM
i just hope when you mentioned she was on her way that SHE also had backup with her if they were all guys. good job man.

Daceminnow
04-28-2012, 11:24 PM
If I told you that would defeat the purpose of me exploring to find some new honey holes. ;)

:happy0034:

fishunter
04-28-2012, 11:56 PM
How do you know they wore poaching by from the view of your truck?

BGSH
04-28-2012, 11:59 PM
Good job, feels great doesnt it :)

tacklerunner
04-29-2012, 12:20 AM

I've got one of those trucks with clear windows luckily so I was able to see out and observe that they were using bait where there is a bait ban.

Geezle
04-29-2012, 12:36 AM

I've got one of those trucks with clear windows luckily so I was able to see out and observe that they were using bait where there is a bait ban.

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Good on ya for calling them in, let us know when they get back to you! :cool:

NUK SOO KOW
04-29-2012, 12:40 AM
Excellent, good call dude. Hope to hear the results.

Darren N
04-29-2012, 07:51 AM
Good job. It's nice to see from your review from old posts on how to handle this properly. Something positive that hopefully the rest of us can learn from and carry it on. :)

slivers86
04-29-2012, 08:00 AM
good on ya TR>

that photo could be valuable if charges are laid.

Most people forget to get the 'evidence' shot, always nice to have!

TROLLER
04-29-2012, 09:01 AM
i just hope when you mentioned she was on her way that SHE also had backup with her if they were all guys. good job man.

Her back up is a big ol gun don't ya know.

H380
04-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Good on ya for reporting them , however don't be surprised if nothing comes of it .. I reported some guys fishing on a closed lake a couple years ago and submitted photos of their truck sitting in front of a sheet of plywood sized sign indicating the closure . Never heard a thing .. Gotta keep at em tho .

tacklerunner
04-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Ya hopefully they will make contact with them even if they were not in time to catch them in the act. If I hear anything, I will post for sure.

Kingfisher
04-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Good on you buddy. Even if all that comes of it is they get a talking to, at least then they will know they shouldn't be fishing with bait in that body of water. It may or may not do any good. But at least you did your part.

If everyone turns a blind eye then nothing will ever change. Sometimes people have to stand up for what they believe in.

Cheers,
Rob

Ken07AOVette
04-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Way to go, I hope they nail the bastards.
You did everything 100% correct, here's hoping for some convictions.

ReconWilly
04-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks for doing your part(within the parameters set), its the OFFICERS job to educate, certainly not yours or mine.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-29-2012, 01:13 PM
With so much of this going on its nice when these guys get caught and convicted . Good job on reporting with very valuable information .

Flyfisher87
04-29-2012, 03:16 PM
My hat is off to you sir! Thank you so much for hopefully detering them from doing such activities ever again!

Mariko's Rod
04-29-2012, 06:57 PM

ha ha good one!

Alberta Bigbore
04-29-2012, 07:34 PM
good job on calling it in.

tacklerunner
04-29-2012, 08:20 PM
*** UPDATE ***

I received a call from the officer this afternoon as I had requested.

Upon arriving at the scene, she did indeed encounter the individuals I reported. However, by the time she approached them, they had cut their lines and thrown their bait and any fish they may have retained into the water. She searched the area and even searched their vehicle for any signs of illegal activity but to no avail. She did not see them dispose of their bait either and therefore could not charge them with litter. The area was spotless... no hooks, no bait nothing. Therefore, without evidence, she was unable to prosecute them.

Now some of you, as I did initially, might think this encounter may at least deter them from future illegal activity but get this... one of them is a repeat offender, they are known to frequent the area and perform these activities and knew exactly what they were doing. It is an epidemic with these guys. This is not a case of being misinformed or confused by the regulations or an honest mistake. These guys are seasoned criminals and practice poaching regularly.

Now their names are on file in the system along with the vehicle description and plate number. And per the officer, I can guarantee you that all COs working the area have been alerted and are actively seeking the opportunity to nail these guys. So those of you that get pizzy when a CO might run your plate number or give you a hard time because your vehicle might by chance match a description of someone they are looking for, this is why they do it. So just answer their questions, don't take it personal and get on with the day.

Running a little long, sorry, but just think of how many people did not 'bother' to report these law breakers. How many illegal fish have they illegally harvested from your waters over the years? What affect are they having on your children's and grandchildren's future fishery?

Follow the rules.
Report a poacher and use the system.

No system is perfect but it's there for a reason. In another thread many of you feel like you are obligated to give the offender the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they didn't know... Maybe the cashier didn't give them a reg book when they bought their license. There are lots of maybes but it is not our job to try and predetermine the circumstances. A seasoned pro will fool you everytime.

Call it in and let the authorities handle it. They're trained to sort out the innocent mistakes from the down right planned illegal activities.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!!! :)

BigIrv
04-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Glad to hear at least it is being noted in the system and they will be looked for. This is the only way to get our fisheries back to what they should be and good on you for stepping up. I have called before too, and even though the suspect may not be guilty we need all of us out there helping the CO's and they only have so many of them to get around!

Thanks for the effort!

topgun2269
04-29-2012, 08:35 PM
why not let them know?? You dont have to be rude just say. I realize they and all of us should know the rules but lets get real here.. you could have stopped and gave some friendly advice instead of making this something it should not be!!! Feel good?? I dont think so??? Dont want to make a mistake by you I guess!!!!

tacklerunner
04-29-2012, 08:38 PM
why not let them know?? You dont have to be rude just say. I realize they and all of us should know the rules but lets get real here.. you could have stopped and gave some friendly advice instead of making this something it should not be!!! Feel good?? I dont think so??? Dont want to make a mistake by you I guess!!!!

Huh? Did you read this thread???

And YES I FEEL GOOD!!!

fish gunner
04-29-2012, 08:44 PM
thank you for the up date TR. I have put rap on my speed dial, for this very reason. the bottom of the dam at dickson is a hot bed for poaching. I normally engage the issue my self. in the future I will be calling it in. thank you for setting the correct example.

silverdoctor
04-29-2012, 08:44 PM

Again, where's my facepalm pic...

Lines cut and everything thrown in water? People that are known to be poachers? Tacklerunner is outnumbered - and you suggest that he go talk to them? He did the right thing and let the authorities deal with it. Too many times altercations have occurred by someone trying to educate others.

You are pleading ignorance, and that is no excuse for breaking rules put in place to protect our wildlife. The regulations are there for a reason.

silverdoctor
04-29-2012, 08:47 PM
BTW, good on you Tacklerunner.

I too have RAP on speed dial but have never had to call...

Fish creek RAP number is 403-297-5293 for those interested. I get checked quite a bit in the fish creek park - all of the officers are great to deal with.

FishingFrenzy
04-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Trolololololololollo

Good karma coming your way Tackle Runner, good on you for reporting! Gotta keep reporting the guy's driving beige mini-vans :sHa_shakeshout:.

topgun2269
04-29-2012, 08:59 PM
I am sure they talk about you all season long!!!!

bloopbloob
04-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Edit: Started reading some of your older posts.... you sure seem to have a similar style to a previously banned member... hmmmmmm
enjoy band camp.

Tacklerunner, GREAT JOB :sHa_shakeshout:. I've only called RAP once, and same kind of thing, by the time they got there, guy had just cleaned up and was leaving, but officer called me back and said he knew from the way the guy was acting that he had been poaching, but no proof of him in the act. But plate was recorded at least, maybe next time they'll get him. You did it how it should be done.

Lefty-Canuck
04-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Did you read the part about....known to police....repeat offender....cut lines and tossed evidence to avoid being caught....by your response I guess you didn't ??

I think these clowns more than knew what they were doing.....

I wonder if your vehicle matches the one TR called in LOL....come to think of it maybe you were the one fishing there :)

LC

ReconWilly
04-29-2012, 09:27 PM
You're NOT very good at being smart, no offence, just saying...:snapoutofit:

ReconWilly
04-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Trolololololololollo

Good karma coming your way Tackle Runner, good on you for reporting! Gotta keep reporting the guy's driving beige mini-vans :sHa_shakeshout:.

BWAAAAAHAHAHA BeeGuy drives a beige mini van hehe...no for real!! Sorry Link...

Guitarplayingfish
04-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Her back up is a big ol gun don't ya know.

I don't think Alberta CO's carry firearms... only BC.

Good on you man. I almost called in the other day myself, luckily for them they left as soon as i started getting close to them.

Unfortunately there are people out there who do poach every season, new and seasoned. I have had many ex-CO's tell me about people who try to snag or burn (with a cigarette) or cut their lines as they approached.. Pretty pathetic. Hopefully those guys get what is coming to them.

Mariko's Rod
04-29-2012, 10:05 PM

Dont make a mistake by me cause I will CALL YOU IN!! and man will it feel good. U strike me as a part time poacher that hasnt been cought. YET. or maybe you have been cought and are bitter.

HunterDave
04-29-2012, 10:14 PM
I don't think Alberta CO's carry firearms... only BC.

The F&W Officers carry side arms in Alberta. :)

Kanonfodder
04-29-2012, 10:15 PM
FYI edited some posts to remove the thread derail

fishermansfriend
04-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Dont make a mistake by me cause I will CALL YOU IN!! and man will it feel good. U strike me as a part time poacher that hasnt been cought. YET. or maybe you have been cought and are bitter.

Just because he doesnt agree doesnt make him a poacher.. You said the same thing to me. You seem very quick to judge.

As for these known repeat offenders, Its a shame that she couldnt have caught them and laid down some big fines. Theses are the guys that ruin fisheries. To bad.

ogre
04-29-2012, 10:43 PM
:happy0034:
TR, good on you to be proactive in safeguarding our precious resources; as well as setting a good example by doing the correct and cool head way of deterring poachers.

@Kanonfodder: Thanks for the clean-up, makes reading these threads more enjoyable.

tacklerunner
04-30-2012, 10:21 AM
I am sure they talk about you all season long!!!!

This threads not about me. It's about conservation and playing by the rules so we can all, even you, enjoy our time on the water for many many years to come. If nothing is done about this, it will spread like an epidemic.

ReconWilly
04-30-2012, 12:45 PM
This threads not about me. It's about conservation and playing by the rules so we can all, even you, enjoy our time on the water for many many years to come. If nothing is done about this, it will spread like an epidemic.

Sadly it seems that there is NO big picture for a rather lagre percentage of the undiserving population, the system needs to be used if its to provide any progress, we don't have to wait until it's too late before we take action, Thanks again TR

topgun2269
04-30-2012, 07:36 PM
sorry to disappoint you guys but I have never and will never "not" follow the rules. Like I said on here you guys have never made a mistake??? I would rather have someone tell me hey did you realize that you can't do this or use that!!! instead of pulling the trigger so fast.... do you guys make sure your neighbours side walks are clear?? or are you waiting by the phone to pounce on the guy??? I say pounce right????

topgun2269
04-30-2012, 07:38 PM
thank you!!!!!!!

fishermansfriend
04-30-2012, 07:46 PM
:snapoutofit:

tacklerunner
04-30-2012, 09:03 PM
sorry to disappoint you guys but I have never and will never "not" follow the rules. Like I said on here you guys have never made a mistake??? I would rather have someone tell me hey did you realize that you can't do this or use that!!! instead of pulling the trigger so fast.... do you guys make sure your neighbours side walks are clear?? or are you waiting by the phone to pounce on the guy??? I say pounce right????

It wasn't like it was a father and son with the father trying to catch the boy his first fish. These were bad people! Even you admitted that. And I certainly didn't pull the trigger too soon. They got away. I've seen many many many many people doing small things wrong and have used different tactics over the years. So I don't understand what your problem is. Did you notice the title of the thread? Called RAP today for the FIRST time.

Had to bold that one for you because you are sure good at reading between the lines and forming arguments in your own mind.

chubbdarter
05-01-2012, 02:18 PM
This thread saddens me. How is the illegal activities that TR witnessed, A) a confussing part of the regulations?....... B) A situation he should of involved himself in ?

Sure there are confussing sections of the regulations that can be interpertated in different ways, but this isnt the case here. Ignorance in this case is simply a case of too lazy to read the regs or a blatant disregard for the rules. People who have a complete disregard for rules are not people I choose to approach.

Call it in let the info get run thru the Data Base and the proper authorities can decide on their fate. Innocent people have nothing to hide.

BeeGuy
05-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Agree. TR clearly did the right thing, and was wise not to approach the group of low-life's.

Sooner
05-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Mistakes are made from time to time but when you see the law coming and you cut your lines and throw all evidence into the water, that tells me no mistakes were made here. Just poaching.