PDA

View Full Version : Why Not The N.S.R.

Dale S
04-29-2012, 07:32 AM
What are the reasons the SRD does not close the N.S.R. like most other pike and walleye waters.Not saying they should, but wht not leave the other major river sytems open.

-JR-
04-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Why should they close it . Mostly catch and release anyways. What you can keep ,you should not eat .

WayneChristie
04-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Why should they close it . Mostly catch and release anyways. What you can keep ,you should not eat .

same situation with the Bow, Oldman and SSR as well, I also dont understand why one closes and the NSR doesnt? I for one wouldnt eat anything out of those rivers.

Guitarplayingfish
04-29-2012, 10:42 AM
same situation with the Bow, Oldman and SSR as well, I also dont understand why one closes and the NSR doesnt? I for one wouldnt eat anything out of those rivers.

x2.. ?

slivers86
04-29-2012, 10:46 AM

I would most definitely eat out of the upper bow (above + including bspaw), Upper oldman (West of hwy 22). Anything east of these areas, or downstream however I'll agree with yah wayne

WayneChristie
04-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Yah, Im talking specifically below Bassano. above there is a crap shoot. Literally :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Dale S
04-29-2012, 11:51 AM
The lower ends of these southern rivers should all be catch and release.I've seen what gets pumped into those rivers.

slivers86
04-29-2012, 12:02 PM
I'd agree with that.

calgary pumps enough crap into the river each day... plus the toilet paper... errr.rock snot problem.. :s

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-29-2012, 01:27 PM

You have to release the walleye and you'll hook into the odd pike , most people catch and release as others have said . I think there's a myth that the fish aren't safe to eat out of the river .

I recently meet with the north Saskatchewan river alliance , as they were interested in what we do , and I was informed that the river is cleaner then it's ever been , they also wonder how accurate the mercury warning is that's on the river . I was also told as I knew that our NSR is very muddy and many people think that's garbage rolling down yes we see some stuff but I think that's pretty much unstoppable .

npauls
04-29-2012, 01:40 PM
If they opened the oldman to year round fishing I would be swapping my lake boat for a river boat in a heart beat.

-JR-
04-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Couple of years ago i was catching walleye in the river and i lost the feeling in my fingers after handling the fish . Later on in the year I was fishing at a lake and my fingers went numb again ,then I noticed it was from the jig i used at the river. Not sure whats in that river but I where gloves when I fish in the river now.

WayneChristie
04-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Couple of years ago i was catching walleye in the river and i lost the feeling in my fingers after handling the fish . Later on in the year I was fishing at a lake and my fingers went numb again ,then I noticed it was from the jig i used at the river. Not sure whats in that river but I where gloves when I fish in the river now.

I find that happens all winter to me :bad_boys_20:

BGSH
06-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Probably stays open because most people catch and release all year round anyways.

BeeGuy
06-07-2012, 01:07 AM

Could be a reaction to the plastic and additives in the jig itself. I'd find it hard to believe it was the river water.

Can't think of anything that could be in the water at a high enough concentration to have an effect.

waterninja
06-07-2012, 04:23 AM
i'm not quite getting the point of this thread. walleye are c.r. and pike restricted to size regs. why would you advocate for complete closure? seems like the walleye are overrunning the nsr and if anything they should have similar regs like pike or better yet sell tags for nsr walleye.

if your fingers get numb from dipping them in the river i suggest you see a doctor or a psychiatrist, or quit fishing it in february.

Alberta Bigbore
06-07-2012, 07:20 AM

lol....! wow

I was wading bare leg in sandals on a gravel bed a few days ago, and while fishing, I did not experience numb legs, nor did I collapse and almost drown.

cube
06-08-2012, 09:00 AM

Sounds like "Raynaud's Syndrome" to me. Not usually a big deal but there are treatments for it if it gets bad.

YeeHaw
06-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Talked to a warden a few weeks ago, according to him, the government would like to close the nsr to fishing alltogether due to the few retards that are keeping the sturgeon. That way anyone fishing is guilty, and the fish and wildlife officers are not tying up resorces trying to catch a hand full of people that decide to keep all they catch including sturgeon.

Paul C
06-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Talked to a warden a few weeks ago, according to him, the government would like to close the nsr to fishing alltogether due to the few retards that are keeping the sturgeon. That way anyone fishing is guilty, and the fish and wildlife officers are not tying up resorces trying to catch a hand full of people that decide to keep all they catch including sturgeon.
X2 In theory that is not bad idea but the reality is there is not enough CO's to police the river. There is always a few bad apples to wreck for other people. The river and its local population is hard to monitor illegal activities. It is good that we all have cell phones to assist SRD in catching those bad apples.:thinking-006:

Paul C
06-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Wow.....how in the heck does this happen ?????????????

Guitarplayingfish
06-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Wow.....how in the heck does this happen ?????????????

Maybe he has bad blood circulation... diabetic?

We really do need more CO's... Way more COs.

Its really unfortunate how uneducated people are about our fisheries.. While sturgeon fishing yesterday you wouldn't believe how many people walked up to me and said something along the lines of "when you catch a sturgeon take it (some place) and get it cut up into steaks.."... Unbelievable.. Honestly how many people do not recognize that sturgeon are endangered and that is unethical regardless? Probably a hell of a lot more than you would think. It should be Mandatory for all fisherpeople to read the regulations every single year...

Get the regs - Write a test based on the regs (even open book) - pass and continue the process of buying your fishing license.

Sigh.. :angry3:

Paul C
06-08-2012, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=Guitarplayingfish;1470789]Maybe he has bad blood circulation... diabetic?

Its really unfortunate how uneducated people are about our fisheries.. While sturgeon fishing yesterday you wouldn't believe how many people walked up to me and said something along the lines of "when you catch a sturgeon take it (some place) and get it cut up into steaks.."... Unbelievable.. Honestly how many people do not recognize that sturgeon are endangered and that is unethical regardless? Probably a hell of a lot more than you would think. It should be Mandatory for all fisherpeople to read the regulations every single year...

Get the regs - Write a test based on the regs (even open book) - pass and continue the process of buying your fishing license.
X2 I understand your frustration. That idea of being tested or trained on the wishin regs is not a bad idea. It would help to take of "some people" who claim they had a language problem.
The solutions is more enforcement but the mighty government does not see it that way. :thinking-006:

06-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Sigh.. :angry3:

Yes we need many more fish and wildlife officers , conservation officer patrol provincial parks only . We also need more fisheries biologists to , but that's another topic .

It's Defenetly getting to that point . I think a compatancy test should be required , it's needed for new hunters , why not new fisherman . Probably because they get comments like because it's just a fish . I guess that's why we have to have stocked fish , because it was just a fish , so I bonked in the head and threw it in my cooler , or it's just a fish that's why we put 2 buckets of perch in this trout pond , it was just a fish man .

It's truly upsetting and annoying seeing this kind of crap , never mind the poaching or other stuff .

Redfrog
06-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Are the cities dumping raw sewage in these rivers? Or is it treated?

06-08-2012, 01:04 PM

Treated .

Guitarplayingfish
06-08-2012, 01:08 PM

In most municipalities, Every single storm drain goes directly into the lakes, rivers, etc UNTREATED - This is a huge reason rivers get polluted...

Next time you are thinking about washing your vehicle with soap in your driveway, know that IT IS A FINEABLE OFFENSE and that soap will run down streets, pavement, etc and find its way into our watersheds.

Same thing goes with over-fertilizing, using salt to deal with snow/ice, etc, etc...

ReconWilly
06-08-2012, 02:59 PM

I work for the city of Calgary water services, i'm a certified water/waste water collector and distributer, i can tell you factualy that the water flowing from the treatment plants is infinitely cleaner than the water that is collected to be treated, in fact the only thing left in the water post treatment is human hormones, mostly large amounts of estrageon as a result of womens birth control pills, there is no poo or pee discharged back into the river, i'm more concerned with the hormones being there than anything else.

Storm drains in Calgary DO DIRECTLY FLOW INTO THE RIVER, anything you leave on the street can and does find its way into the river, washing your vehicle in your driveway is a death sentance for the river,oil spills, leaking transmissions, coolant leaks etc all compound the problem, ignorance can cost us all.

Paul C
06-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Yes they do treat the sewage but if rain fall is heavy and the plants cant handle the volume the city turns a switch and the raw sewage goes into the NSR untreated. A few years ago the city had a portable media device that shows how the water is process through there system. It was disappointing to see this kind of set up.:thinking-006: and the amount of damage it causes.
The city has been stepping up doing sewer inspection but they still have problems with people releasing chemicals into the drainage system.:thinking-006:

Paul C
06-08-2012, 03:33 PM
I work for the city of Calgary water services, i'm a certified water/waste water collector and distributer, i can tell you factualy that the water flowing from the treatment plants is infinitely cleaner than the water that is collected to be treated, in fact the only thing left in the water post treatment is human hormones, mostly large amounts of estrageon as a result of womens birth control pills, there is no poo or pee discharged back into the river, i'm more concerned with the hormones being there than anything else.

Storm drains in Calgary DO DIRECTLY FLOW INTO THE RIVER, anything you leave on the street can and does find its way into the river, washing your vehicle in your driveway is a death sentance for the river,oil spills, leaking transmissions, coolant leaks etc all compound the problem, ignorance can cost us all.
X2 ReconWilly. The drainage systems are quite old in Edmonton and Calgary.

-JR-
06-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Sounds like "Raynaud's Syndrome" to me. Not usually a big deal but there are treatments for it if it gets bad.

I know I have Raynauds Syndrome. Froze my fingers many times in the winter working on the generators on drilling rigs as a machanic.
But they still should not have lost their feeling from touching a hook that was used in the river weeks later.

Traps
06-09-2012, 01:43 PM
lol....! wow

I was wading bare leg in sandals on a gravel bed a few days ago, and while fishing, I did not experience numb legs, nor did I collapse and almost drown.

.........and you call yourself a moderator?

WayneChristie
06-09-2012, 07:32 PM

nope, everyone else does

Paul C
06-09-2012, 08:45 PM
I thought the all the members here are moderators.