PDA

View Full Version : Jet boating the Bow west of Calgary

Lambo
04-30-2012, 12:20 AM
I just bought a small jet boat and want to jet up the Bow west of Calgary. Anybody have experience running/fishing the upper bow? Or if anyone wants to explore the Bow west of the City, send me a pm. Not sure if the fishing is as good here as the lower bow but will find out soon.

BeeGuy
04-30-2012, 12:45 AM
I just bought a small jet boat and want to jet up the Bow west of Calgary. Anybody have experience running/fishing the upper bow? Or if anyone wants to explore the Bow west of the City, send me a pm. Not sure if the fishing is as good here as the lower bow but will find out soon.

massive daily water fluctuations due to the ghost dam. upto 100cm or so.

this has a huge influence on fish reproduction and survival. there are some fisheries data available and it is not encouraging.

we have found a couple decent spots west of cochrane, but for the most part it pales in comparison to the calgary section in terms of quantity and quality for all species.

we saw the fire rescue boat motor by a few times in the afternoon when the water level is up. they might have some critical info for you.

pipercub17
04-30-2012, 02:06 AM
Watch out for guys in drift boats
And please slow down when you pass us :sHa_shakeshout:

Dale S
04-30-2012, 05:43 AM

If you slow down in a jetboat the boat rides lower in the water. The lower it rides in the water the bigger the wake.Its best to keep it on plain. OP there has been boats right into Banff but they got in trouble. Its all boatable.

Lambo
04-30-2012, 06:34 AM

You won't know I'm even there.:innocent:

ryanheartssteelhead
04-30-2012, 07:08 AM

We used to put in a ghost resevoir wth the old boat and head to the river moutn, then upstream. Makes for an awesome trip. You will come to a series of 3 rapids. The first two are safe, but I wouldn't try the third in a small boat. This time of year is safe, the water is deep.

Or, put in at the cochrane bridge and head up to the dam. Another good trip. Lots of pools and runs to stop at and fish.

Lambo
04-30-2012, 09:36 AM
Thanks ryan... Launching at the Cochrane Bridge would be great. Looks like pretty solid ground, good parking lot and close to my house. I wouldn't want to go on Ghost with my 14' jon boat after seeing some of the waves when the wind picks up.

ryanheartssteelhead
04-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Thanks ryan... Launching at the Cochrane Bridge would be great. Looks like pretty solid ground, good parking lot and close to my house. I wouldn't want to go on Ghost with my 14' jon boat after seeing some of the waves when the wind picks up.

Downstream to bearspaw is really nice too. There's some great runs to fish. But I'm always nervous going downstream.

The Fisherman Guy
04-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Downstream of the city is getting CRAZY full of jet boats. It's not going over well with the drift boat guys, or guides.

We were out on Saturday morning, and saw a couple of 20+ footers cruising around, not fishing. At one point near mut be nice, I saw 6 different jet boats in that one run. The guides are taking pictures of all the jet boats, and soon enough the no jet boat zone will be extended to the Carseland weir. I have a feeling the guides will post a petition soon enough.

MooseGuy
04-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Downstream of the city is getting CRAZY full of jet boats. It's not going over well with the drift boat guys, or guides.

We were out on Saturday morning, and saw a couple of 20+ footers cruising around, not fishing. At one point near mut be nice, I saw 6 different jet boats in that one run. The guides are taking pictures of all the jet boats, and soon enough the no jet boat zone will be extended to the Carseland weir. I have a feeling the guides will post a petition soon enough.

Ya the big boat cruisers on the bow is a little much, but most jetboaters on the bow these days are recreational fishermen who are out a couple days a week. I dont see what gives a "guide" the right to think they can petition jetboats to carseland weir? Are the Apprx. 15 jets on the bow too much for the river health or resource well being? Whats the thoughts on the 50+ guides that float the same stretch of river EVERYDAY during the summer? Is that tough on the resource? Nothing against guides, i have a few good buddies that do it, but why should someone using the resource to make $$$ have more right then recreational fishermen?

The Fisherman Guy
04-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Good point MooseGuy. The trouble is that the guides derive their living from that stretch of the river, so they will be very passionate about it.

I think the river can easily be shared, with proper etiquette served by all.

sheephunter
04-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Lots of guys put their boats in at the Highway 22 bridge at Cochrane. Not many surprises running up or downstream from there. There are some current breaks for fish in the form of giant boulders downstream of the old bridge along the north shore but other than that is a pretty typical river. Some good fishing downstream toward the Bearspaw Reservoir for sure....nothing like below Calgary though for size.

icefever
04-30-2012, 12:35 PM
It would be nice if the jet boats could stay off the bow in Cochrane for a month as the rainbows are making their way up to spawn at this time of year, I don't believe it does them anygood

TROLLER
04-30-2012, 12:50 PM

Those guides can whine and cry till the cows come home. The river that they think is theirs exclusively belongs to all of us.

I don't own a jet, but have been several times with a buddy who does and it seems no matter where we have gone or how slow or how fast the drifter's who think they own the river are always giveing the dirty look or finger.

Sorry, but when the guides start paying taxes to the province to allow them on the river exclusive then they can cry about the jets.

Maybe they should be monitored like APOS and have to pay for their territory and still have rec. hunters all around.

biggyJ
04-30-2012, 12:56 PM

Never saw a driftboat between Bearspaw and Ghost, just the bikini hatch in the summer drifting down in inflatables.

BeeGuy
04-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Never saw a driftboat between Bearspaw and Ghost, just the bikini hatch in the summer drifting down in inflatables.

x2

I dont think anyone would pay to be guided on that stretch of water.

fish_fan
04-30-2012, 01:08 PM
i want a jet boat. Im going to act like an #$*S to anyone else on the river who doesnt like my jet boat. they gotta respect me and my jet boat! its not right for them to not respect it! I dont understand why everyone doesnt have a jet boat. should outlaw drifting. its like riding a tricycle on the #2 highway. get em outa there. rivers were made for jet boats.

ryanheartssteelhead
04-30-2012, 01:55 PM
i want a jet boat. Im going to act like an #$*S to anyone else on the river who doesnt like my jet boat. they gotta respect me and my jet boat! its not right for them to not respect it! I dont understand why everyone doesnt have a jet boat. should outlaw drifting. its like riding a tricycle on the #2 highway. get em outa there. rivers were made for jet boats.

You'll make a good paintball target. haha

sheephunter
04-30-2012, 02:02 PM
x2

I dont think anyone would pay to be guided on that stretch of water.

I suspect it's got more to do with access....there's really only one practical in and out spot. Good for jet boats...not so good for drift boats.

BeeGuy
04-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Ya unless you got buddies that work for Transalta.

Then the barrier is removed.

sheephunter
04-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Ya unless you got buddies that work for Transalta.

Then the barrier is removed.

Not sure how much drift boat experience you have but rowing a drift boat from one end of Bearspaw to the other would not be over conducive to a quality guided trip. There's some great fishing on this stretch of the Bow and I'm sure people would be guiding on it if access was better.....it's not.

rielbowhunter
04-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Well I have owned my jet for just over a year now and plan to start checking out parts of the bow, west and south. So far I have been up the bow not to far pass morely bridge. pretty big rappids there I didnt want to try with family and a new boat. hope to try bye Cochrane soon.

sheephunter
04-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Well I have owned my jet for just over a year now and plan to start checking out parts of the bow, west and south. So far I have been up the bow not to far pass morely bridge. pretty big rappids there I didnt want to try with family and a new boat. hope to try bye Cochrane soon.

There's been more than one jet boat wreck in that spot. Be careful if you try it.

rielbowhunter
04-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the heads up , Sheep. I think I will just fish below it, fishing is good there.

bowness
04-30-2012, 10:04 PM

Equal access, no elitist attitude that my method of accessing water is more ethical or better than yours. Watch out Albertans, if that BC idea of seperating water access due to fishing technique or guided/non-guided gets a grip we will have some serious conversations on this forum...:argue2:

bowness
04-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Many people do not understand, or care to understand the truth in your statement. They just see a boater "driving fast and disrespectfully". Jet boaters need to get the word out.

bowness
04-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Watch out. Guides can be very vocal and politically inclined if they see money and priviledged access. Money in the bank if you can say "we have exclusive drifts" or "guided anglers only" on our stretch.

The more money they make = the more taxes they pay. There is also the spinoff to other businesses (tackle shops, hotels, other tourist activities etc.).

I do not support priviledged access but that does not mean it will not happen. They may need to go to a "angler day quota" similar to BC guides on non-tidal waters.

bowness
04-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Your statement is politically motivated. Jet boats are driven up and down BC rivers full to the gills with spawning salmon.

"I don't believe it does them anygood". It does NOTHING.

People with a negative view on the use of jet boats on waters often come up with these arbitrary statements with no support. I know the fluctuations in water depth and flow due to hydroelectric power generation have a much more deleterious effect on Rainbow spawning success than jetboats.

Lambo
05-01-2012, 04:15 PM
I think we should bring this jet boat to the Bow. haha! jk.

Check out this link, hope it works...

http://www.shotoverjet.com/the-video

tobber
05-01-2012, 08:33 PM

I was out jet-boating with my kids that day , I wonder if the guides took some good pics of my boat maybe they could send it to me.

tobber
05-01-2012, 08:49 PM

Its a nice run , we run up to the dam and down to bearspaw , Tried fishing a few times not much luck so far . I am new to the area and to trout fishing