PDA

View Full Version : Update: i need some good luck wishes

fish&fry04
04-30-2012, 09:14 PM
I have never pulled one in on the Bow; it's my second year fly fishing, and STUBBORN. I would not normally ask, but paid for a guided float on the Bow (more for learning than catching), and I need some luck as the weather might be poor. I really don't want to have to throw a temper tantrum and throw my rod like a silly golfer (on land of course). If anyone can send me some wishes I would greatly appreciate it!

I believe in karma, CPR, I will treat the fish well.

kmacisaac
04-30-2012, 09:25 PM
Keep at it!!! This is only my second season on the fly rod and I can say I too have come home lot's of days skunked and frustrated. I try to talk to as many folks on the river as I can and most of them are more than helpful. Some of them have even thrown a few different flies at me to change things up. Once you get into fish, it only gets better from there.
Also, check into some of the guides websites for the spring. I just went to a free 2 hour casting clinic on the weekend that was offered by Jim McLennan. It was in the park on dry land but the minor techniques I learned have changed a ton of bad habits I've developed on my own.

fish&fry04
04-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the note! I gotta say, no friendlier bunch than fishermen (fisherpeople, sorry). Everyone I have run into has been great about sharing advice and tips. Just love getting outdoors most of all....but given I have purchased plenty of gear, even a boat, it would be REALLY nice if I could learn to read water and catch just one out there,....I had 4 solid bites last year, but I have not developed that fisherman quick reflex yet to hook in less than a millisecond so they got away (2 strong ones on rapalas on spin and 2 on fly got away).

Dust1n
04-30-2012, 09:34 PM
I got my first brown in that river in the middle of a blizzard! Keep at it once you figure it out its nuts! BTW the browns all hold tight to shore when the weather turns bad which makes them an easy target for dead drifted sculpins inches from shore.

rielbowhunter
04-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Good luck! Are you going out with a guide tomorrow?

fish&fry04
04-30-2012, 09:59 PM
thanks for the tip FishHunter7......I will keep that in mind tomorrow (as I am shivering away).

Yup, guide through Fish Tales, my brother has been going with him for years.

ogre
04-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Good luck there guy, I'll be picking up fly fishing this year too, so I'll be where you are right now.

Tip: If you want to practice some CPR on big bows, head down to Police Outpost lake by Cardston. Lots of very considerate and NICE people who would give you lots of pointers to land these quality fishes.

The "Anatomy of a Trout Stream" DVD by Scientific Anglers also has very informative tutorials on "reading" the waters.

waterninja
04-30-2012, 10:29 PM
similar story for me on the nsr. though i'm not fly fishing i had a heck of a time catching fish when i started fishing the river this year. it seemed like everyone was posting pics of that days catch while i was recording another skunk on the calender. i did love getting out there anyways and i always knew i'd get it sooner or later. talking to and watching other anglers helped a lot and just the other day i caught my FIRST walleye (4 actually) and some big pike. keep at it and keep positive. you'll be giving other new anglers tips in the future.

fish&fry04
04-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Nice Waterninja! good job. We have been out on the Bow last year many times, just from shore, and no luck, but I am confident tomorrow I will have a pic to show, certainly hope so anyway!

Thanks all for the words of encouragement.

Alberta Bigbore
05-01-2012, 06:58 AM
Good luck hope you catch a monster broonie

tight line
05-01-2012, 09:42 AM
big nymphs or stoneflies deep. try spin casting first to locate the fish, then hit em with the flies! good luck!

fish&fry04
05-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks to all for your well wishes. Bad day to be even out on the water, let alone hoping for fish. Caught one whitefish in the morning, got chilled to the bone the rest of the day. We learned alot though, thanks to our great guide, he was patient and full of advice and information. We improved our casting, we learned so much about reading the water, the fish and their behavior, and the aquatic food. We have never fished north of 22x, so we learned alot about the river and banks there too. We were aiming for brown's in their hiding holes along the banks, but none wanted to come out to play. Not as fruitful as we had hoped, but we booked the trip as a learning experience on our skills and learn we did. Well worth it. THANKS TERRY!!!

:fishing::kap:

BGAngler
05-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Thanks to all for your well wishes. Bad day to be even out on the water, let alone hoping for fish. Caught one whitefish in the morning, got chilled to the bone the rest of the day. We learned alot though, thanks to our great guide, he was patient and full of advice and information. We improved our casting, we learned so much about reading the water, the fish and their behavior, and the aquatic food. We have never fished north of 22x, so we learned alot about the river and banks there too. We were aiming for brown's in their hiding holes along the banks, but none wanted to come out to play. Not as fruitful as we had hoped, but we booked the trip as a learning experience on our skills and learn we did. Well worth it.

:fishing::kap:

Hey man, that's definitely a start. I'll be in the same boat as you later this season. Good luck out there!