PDA

View Full Version : Stocked lake updates

bowness
04-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Well I know the C&R elitists will damn me for even thinking about harvesting a stocked rainbow, but here goes!:snapoutofit:

Thought those who enjoy catching fish with the family and eating some may want to help each other out by updating forum members when a lake is stocked. (ok, I can hear it now, "truck chasing, child fish killers!"):sign0176:

I will do it after each trip. I usually start first week of May but sometimes am disappointed cause it has not been stocked. This way we don't waste good family time and expensive gas to fish an empty lake.:sHa_shakeshout:

yada
04-30-2012, 10:57 PM
just one thing to note, sometimes when a lake is stocked the fish arnt ready for harvest..

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing/StockingReports.aspx
They normally stock around the same time every year.

From my expereince, i think its best to go at the end of may because most places are stocked already, and it gives some time for the fish to get the pellet chemicals out of their body.. And there will be lots of fish left!

WayneChristie
05-01-2012, 07:30 AM
interesting, 30000 trout and Ive never seen anyone fishing it. wonder how many are left? :thinking-006:

KoldFusion
05-01-2012, 11:41 AM
I just wanted to take my buddy's kids out to Dewitts and actually have them catch a fish this year.

Last year I seen many people walk out with the daily limit from Dewitts. I just don't understand why people like to keep the fish from stocked ponds. they don't taste good, and for every one you pull out, that is one less for others to catch. Maybe even robbing a child of his first ever fish.

They should drop stocked ponds catch limit to 1-2.

The kids were skunked last year fishing stocked ponds. I tell them it is because you don't catch fish without a hook in the water, but sadly I feel it is more due to people using stocked ponds as a Safeway.

The boy --Age 6-- is determined to catch at least one this year. And so help me god, I will have him fish inside that stocking truck this year if I have to.

I won't go to Strathmore Kids pond because if I don't fish with the kids, they wont fish for long without wanting to do whatever it is I am doing. Also if I need to grab their rods to teach them things, I would be breaking the rules.

silverdoctor
05-01-2012, 11:49 AM
The boy --Age 6-- is determined to catch at least one this year. And so help me god, I will have him fish inside that stocking truck this year if I have to.

I love it...

Elitist? C'mon, just a conservationist.

KoldFusion has it right, stocked lakes should be a chance for kids to get out and have a good time. I've spent time on stocked lakes, great for a quick fix when there's no time to get anywhere else - but when you see 5 or 6 adults filling up a cooler full of 5" trout, it's a bit disheartening to say the least.

ogre
05-01-2012, 12:21 PM
People taking their daily limit isn't the real reason. It's people who make multiple trips in one day AND taking the limit each time. With DeWitts so close to the cities, it's a no brainer how DeWitts fishing won't last into August. Personally I've never been to DeWitts early enough to get any fish (even in mid July) :mad0100:

These trout ponds also get hit very hard once people realize they've been stocked. I reported a guy fishing with 2 rods last year at one of the put & take pond. He hid the other one by laying it on the ground beside him so he could reach for it quickly when a CO should happen to come by.

Last year I seen many people walk out with the daily limit from Dewitts. I just don't understand why people like to keep the fish from stocked ponds. they don't taste good, and for every one you pull out, that is one less for others to catch. Maybe even robbing a child of his first ever fish.

ogre
05-01-2012, 12:24 PM
I actually got disgusted looks from adults fishing beside me when they see me let fishes go back (C&R), one even got mad, LOL.

I love it...

Elitist? C'mon, just a conservationist.

KoldFusion has it right, stocked lakes should be a chance for kids to get out and have a good time. I've spent time on stocked lakes, great for a quick fix when there's no time to get anywhere else - but when you see 5 or 6 adults filling up a cooler full of 5" trout, it's a bit disheartening to say the least.

Speckle55
05-01-2012, 12:25 PM
:thinking-006:some lakes a re stocked twice a year remember

David:)

npauls
05-01-2012, 12:26 PM
interesting, 30000 trout and Ive never seen anyone fishing it. wonder how many are left? :thinking-006:

I will come up there and help you catch them all Wayne.

I am pretty sure I know where you are talking about and figure it will be about an hour and a half drive or so for me to get there. :bad_boys_20:

If it is never fished like you said and makes it through winter without a kill then I could see there being some decent sized fish swimming around.

silverdoctor
05-01-2012, 12:27 PM
I actually got disgusted looks from adults fishing beside me when they see me let fishes go back (C&R), one even got mad, LOL.

I get that all the time on lakes, pretty crazy. "Give it to me" um no, sorry... I'm not here to catch fish for anyone else thank you very much.

WayneChristie
05-01-2012, 05:57 PM
most of the stocked pond fish dont survive the winters, they are stocked as a put and take fishery. thats the reason, and people go there to catch fish to eat. not a lot of sport in 6 inch rainbows . if you want your kids to catch fish take them to Mt Lorette but get there a day or two after the stocking truck they go fast. use the lightest line you can find, the water is gin clear.

BGAngler
05-01-2012, 06:23 PM
most of the stocked pond fish dont survive the winters, they are stocked as a put and take fishery. thats the reason, and people go there to catch fish to eat. not a lot of sport in 6 inch rainbows . if you want your kids to catch fish take them to Mt Lorette but get there a day or two after the stocking truck they go fast. use the lightest line you can find, the water is gin clear.

Man the first time I went there on my way back from Upper Kan I honestly just started laughing. This should totally be a fun little pond for little kids to enjoy themselves. Crystal clear, can see all the fish. Instead it was just like any other stocked pond with all the harvesting. I'm not exactly a saint in that regard (especially a couple years ago with Sibbald), but still.

Speaking of Sibbald, I was there last summer for the stocking. Really cool thing to see. That one definitely gets harvested super quick, but it does get stocked twice. I just called and asked when they're stocking and they told me. Not sure if they always give out that info willingly?

WayneChristie
05-01-2012, 06:40 PM
I was at one of the Kanaskis lakes, cant remember which one a long long time ago and was standing on the boat launch when the truck pulled up. stayed in the water when they opened the chute and was almost knocked over by all the fish, it was a pretty interesting experience. Too bad they stopped stocking thelagoon at Bowness Park years ago, it was always a good time fishing in there.

BGAngler
05-01-2012, 06:57 PM
I was at one of the Kanaskis lakes, cant remember which one a long long time ago and was standing on the boat launch when the truck pulled up. stayed in the water when they opened the chute and was almost knocked over by all the fish, it was a pretty interesting experience. Too bad they stopped stocking thelagoon at Bowness Park years ago, it was always a good time fishing in there.

Haha the guy let us climb on the truck and look at the tanks. I felt like a little kid, it was great. I managed to stay out of the way though!

HunterDave
05-01-2012, 09:21 PM
I prefer to fish stocked lakes right after the ice comes off and before it is restocked. The water's clear, the fish are feeding, they taste better and the fish that you catch have had at least a year to grow. Up this way there's about a 2 or 3 week window between ice off and restocking that I look forward to every year. I've never heard of a pothole around here getting fished out but I don't fish in the middle of the city either. Even lakes that I thought had winter killed last year were producing 2 and 3 year old trout this winter. Have fun! :)

waterninja
05-02-2012, 01:42 AM
I prefer to fish stocked lakes right after the ice comes off and before it is restocked. The water's clear, the fish are feeding, they taste better and the fish that you catch have had at least a year to grow. Up this way there's about a 2 or 3 week window between ice off and restocking that I look forward to every year. I've never heard of a pothole around here getting fished out but I don't fish in the middle of the city either. Even lakes that I thought had winter killed last year were producing 2 and 3 year old trout this winter. Have fun! :)
i agree. iv'e never seen a stocked lake get fished out though i think most of them suffer winterkill. if you want to see a lake being stocked go to salters lake this friday. it's actually quite a neat operation and it's amazing to cruise the lake on a small watercraft and watch all these trout swimming around near the surface. they don't know what to do with there new freedom (little do they know). it's like an aquariam for a couple days.

kinwahkly
05-02-2012, 06:27 PM
I was out last year down south when the truck pulled up and released a abunch of trout, funniest thing was 2 hours later we had a hail storm come thru and the lake exploded with the fish trying to feed as they thought it was pellets bieng thrown to them, quite the site.

bowness
05-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Visited Dewitts pond yesterday and saw the truck tracks in the mud and some very small trout jumping. I would have estimated between 15-16 cm. Truly not harvestable.

bowness
05-02-2012, 11:04 PM
All aquacultured trout and salmon you purchase in stores are pellet fed. Is there a warning on those for chemicals? Where do people get these weird ideas from? PETA?????

When are stocked fish ready to harvest? In October a week before it freezes over and a month before they winterkill????

These C and R guys are just taking things too far.

huffy
05-03-2012, 07:13 AM
mmmmmmmm, stocked rainbows:oregonian_winesmile

Sundancefisher
05-03-2012, 07:50 AM

This is the concept of delayed harvest...allowing more fish to survive in the lake longer to allow more a chance to harvest one. Spreading the harvest around to a wider number of people.

Send an email to the Regional F&W Biologist with your request and reasons for the reduced limit and see what happens. You could also start a poll on here specific to that lake and see what others think and link that to your email to F&W to support your case...assuming a majority think as you do.

Don Andersen
05-03-2012, 08:35 AM
bowness,

Please oh please come on up to Struble Lake SW of Rocky Mountain House, There are 10's of thousands of fish in it. Few people fish it. Growth rate is ****ty but who cares. You can catch a pile. Most do. Bait works good!!! No C&R guys there.

Have fun,

Don

Bigtoad
05-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Not trying to hijack this thread entirely but there definitely needs to be put and take fisheries where guys and their kids with powerbait and worms catch 5 of any size and then have a little fish fry that night. It's a beautiful thing. Have at it.

However, it is my belief that any lake that SRD deems worthwhile to aerate through the winter to increase the likelihood of overwintering and growing to larger sizes, also needs to see the harvest #'s drop from 5 of any size to 1 or 2 or total C&R. Then also reduce the stocking #'s accordingly. If it's worth putting the time and money into aerating, then it's worthwhile to reduce the harvest and let some of the fish actually reach maturity. Allowing a limit of 5 on an aerated lake doesn't allow the lake to be any better than a simple put and take.

I have written emails with the above suggestion, to ACA (in charge of stocking and aerating) and they said SRD is responsible for making the call. I then sent an email to SRD with no response so far. I've also sent emails to regional biologists with mixed responses. Whenever I do get a response, it seems like no one really knows who has the final say in regulation changes... especially when it would be a province wide regulation change on all aerated lakes.

Anyway, happy hatchery chasing. It's not my cup-o-tea but maybe when the boy gets old enough to fish I'll be following the trucks out of the hatchery myself....:character0053:

Cheers.

bowness
05-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks Don. Down South we are restricted and I fish (during open season) flowing waters and C@R as we should with wild indiginous fish. I love to eat fish and become frustrated with those who think my desire to eat is unethical based on their personal views. Maybe a reduced possession limit of 3 maybe a good idea for some of our more targeted southern ponds close to Calgary. We all need to be open to change.

HunterDave
05-03-2012, 07:44 PM
If it's worth putting the time and money into aerating, then it's worthwhile to reduce the harvest and let some of the fish actually reach maturity. Allowing a limit of 5 on an aerated lake doesn't allow the lake to be any better than a simple put and take.

Interesting theory. Have you ever fished a 5 trout limit lake that has an aerator in it? Salters Lake immediately comes to mind but everyone knows that there are no big fish in there........or are there? :scared0018:

ericlin0122
05-04-2012, 08:46 AM
anyone knows if crossfield been stocked?

the local angler
05-04-2012, 09:10 AM
crossfield is currently under construction for some water main or something. all 3 road entrances are closed and blocked off by big cement blocks and heavy equiptment. not sure what kinda time frame we are looking at till it reopens.

sheephunter
05-04-2012, 09:12 AM
If you follow ACA on Twitter they tweet the day they stock lakes.

nekred
05-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Hayzeus Kristo the C and R guys sure take things too far... fabatical and evangelical in their approach... waiting for you guys to start wearing semtex vests and going to fishing areas to protest...

It is a put and TAKE lake for a reason... i have seen the lakes around here where they are fished by immigrants that take their limit and their kids limit and instead of getting mad I think... good at least they are here and not catching sturgeon, bull trout, or other species where they are at a risk...

If left to mother nature these stocked lakes and ponds for put and take would have 0 fish and if at end of season they have 0 fish so be it....

I aften catch and release or catch and take within boundaries of law of course... but if I see an immigrant that is looking forward to a fish fry and is having a hard time catching fish instead of releasing i often help them out and give them my fish... They look at me often in shock and surprise because a local redneck is being so nice to them instead of giving them the stink eye....

They see me fly fishing and are really intrigued and expecially when I hit it right and am hauling fish in like crazy...

I actually appreciatte these ones because they are experiencing a part of Canada that we all enjoy and the more of these people we get enjoying the outdoors the better we can integrate our societies.

One family in particular I see quite often and I have gotten to the lake t fish from shore where there are limited places and had them move over to make room for me and gave me such a kind welcome... it really felt good...

They spoke English and when they spoke their own language they explained it was because an elder family member did not understand English and they translated for me... and often have had a few enjoyable afternoons...

Another situation I saw a young single mom who took her boy out to Salter's lake and he was so excited and had no idea how to fish and mom had just taken boy out and had no clue either... So i took them out in my zodiac along with my boys and showed her how to set him up and when he caught his first fish we had to keep it... and showed her how to clean it... of course she was a bit grossed out at first so i showed them how to do it with least amount of mess... get her boy to do it!... In the end she had a rod in her hand and was hooked....literally

These are more than just put and take ponds... they are opportunities where we can share our knowlege and love of the outdoors with others who are trying...

I have also seen some less than ideal people too who seem to be just focused on themselves... btu after meeting them i realise I left them with an opportunity that they declined vs...not taking an opportunity myself...

Most of the people who leave a sour taste in my mouth in the outdoors are the arrogant, self righteous, look down their nose with a stinkeye at me because I am invading their fishing spot and actually daring to exercise my legal right to keep a few fish....

I love meeting these folks and putting them to shame... i may not have a perfect flycast... may not perfectly match the hatch....my hand tied flies look like a cat puked up a hairball and I stuffed a hook through it...and actually dare to troll with a fly line out in my zodiac....and catch more fish.... but if I avoid Muir lake...I usually can stay away from these folks...

I had an experience where I was catching and keeping and with 4 boys in my zodiac who wanted to keep them to clean and eat them and one of the "*****s" came along and saw me keeping and proceeded to "educate" me on catch and release and on everything on the lake after told him I had caught a 5lb rainbow in the lake and he said impossible... just then my second son (who has the luck of the Irish) was holding my fly rood hooked into a monster... after a long fight we finally got him in the boat and it was a 6lb football and I looked at him and said "my son must be Jesus cause he just did the impossible... do want him to walk over on the water to your boat to see his fish!"...Loved the moment...and the look on his face was priceless....

The only thing that would have topped it off would have been my new Canadian friends on shore bowing and say Ah So! Ah so!

Bigtoad
05-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Interesting theory. Have you ever fished a 5 trout limit lake that has an aerator in it? Salters Lake immediately comes to mind but everyone knows that there are no big fish in there........or are there? :scared0018:

Yup. Swan Lake up North by Valleyview is aerated with a limit of 5 of any size and use of bait allowed. It used to produce 10lb+ rainbows only a few years ago but now, word is out and I haven't seen or heard of any bigger than 22" in the last two years. Lots of fish averaging 18", which is good, but when you can keep 5 bigguns per outing, the big boys just don't seem to exist anymore. Used to drive 5 hours to get to it, but I'm not sure I'll be back anytime soon.

Birch Lake down by Caroline as well. Some big brookies in there but again, it's becoming more popular and the big boys are disappearing... go figure.

Mitchell out by RottenMonkey House also. But I haven't fished here for quite a while. Friends have last year and average size wasn't better than a put and take and they stock the crap out of it. They put browns in there too which I don't get? Why not put some browns in Beaver Lake or Fiesta where they might last a little longer?

So why bother aerating when the average size isn't any better than a put and take because of over harvest and over stocking???? Drives me bonkers! If you aerate it, then change the regs and stocking #'s or don't aerate it in the first place.

P.S. - Dave, I can't believe you think one of my ideas is "interesting"... must mean it's a bad idea!:sHa_shakeshout:

Cheers.

odie0077
05-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks Don. Down South we are restricted and I fish (during open season) flowing waters and C@R as we should with wild indiginous fish. I love to eat fish and become frustrated with those who think my desire to eat is unethical based on their personal views. Maybe a reduced possession limit of 3 maybe a good idea for some of our more targeted southern ponds close to Calgary. We all need to be open to change.
Just my two cents but I feel same limit should go for some of the lakes up here around Edmonton. Cardiff new one at the fort sask hurmatige an so on if they are not as big as your hand put them back for another day just saying:thinking-006:

waterninja
05-04-2012, 09:17 PM
i released a 5lbs male on monday so there is at least one big one in there.

spaghetti
05-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Does anyone know what they're refering to when they say, "Airdrie pond".

Then again. It says it's 'only' been stocked with 500 rainbows last year.

They might all be gone by now!

ogre
05-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Airdrie Pond and DeWitt Pond should have lots of little bows as the report was they got stocked yesterday.
Airdrie Pond: 51.28203, -114.00745
DeWitt's Pond: 51.26254, -114.12139

I might try fishing there tomorrow.

Bigtoad
05-05-2012, 08:34 AM
i released a 5lbs male on monday so there is at least one big one in there.

Bless you sir.

If our path's ever cross, the first beer is on me.:happy0180:

EP2
05-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Well I know the C&R elitists will damn me for even thinking about harvesting a stocked rainbow, but here goes!:snapoutofit:

I have read this thread from beginning to end (and back tot he beginning) and I have not seen any C&R person be rude or offensive.

Alberta does stock some lakes as a put & take style, but others are designed for enhanced sporting opportunities. Will I keep a fish from there? Maybe, but I do not particularly like the taste of mud rainbows.

There is even a lake I like it when locals fish it heavily because so many trout are stocked, but the reduced numbers means it is able to produce larger fish. If this one was designated one of the enhanced lakes, I think it would be one of the most talked about in the province.

bowness
05-05-2012, 09:30 AM
So one thread is representative of the overall attitude of C@R ONLY fishers? I have nothing against C@R, 95 percent of my fishing is. What gets me going is those who look down upon or consider themselves above an individual who harvests some fish. You know EXACTLY what I am refering to.

Not all lakes have muddy tasting trout, you must do some sampling and it also depends on the time of year.

Let me harvest the odd stocked trout from what would be dead lakes and I'll let you rip lips. Deal?

waterninja
05-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Bless you sir.

If our path's ever cross, the first beer is on me.:happy0180:
i did however keep two 3lbs females that day and they were very tasty

Bigtoad
05-05-2012, 03:10 PM

I'm not against keeping fish, but I do encourage releasing larger fish when possible, which you did.

And you didn't keep your limit, which is another + in my book.

Cheers.

jts1
05-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Airdrie Pond and DeWitt Pond should have lots of little bows as the report was they got stocked yesterday.
Airdrie Pond: 51.28203, -114.00745
DeWitt's Pond: 51.26254, -114.12139

I might try fishing there tomorrow.

The pond in the city park is at best a kids pond. There are trout in there but Wayne would not even use them for bait. Dewitts is a better option but the crowds can be stipid out there. Crossfield has a even better pond but with the road construction it may be a while before they drop some fish in there.

ogre
05-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Ah well the weather didn't cooperate. I was hoping to try out the fly rod. New at fly fishing and didn't want to chance getting into big fishes.

EP2
05-06-2012, 10:25 PM
So one thread is representative of the overall attitude of C@R ONLY fishers? I have nothing against C@R, 95 percent of my fishing is. What gets me going is those who look down upon or consider themselves above an individual who harvests some fish. You know EXACTLY what I am refering to.

Let me harvest the odd stocked trout from what would be dead lakes and I'll let you rip lips. Deal?

No, this thread is not representative of all the attitudes, but not all C&R only (or 99%) people look down upon those who like to keep the "odd" fish.

I find it odd some people measure success on how many keepers are caught or think that it is unfair the government puts limits, or want to keep bull cause they eat all the rainbows :rolleye2:

I am NOT saying that it is the people in this thread, but holding this type of attitude about a person because he releases fish for you to catch and kill is silly--just like someone looking down on a person for legally retaining fish is silly. Sure there are places where I can and could catch and kill, but I simply prefer not to for numerous reasons.

BGSH
05-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Anyone know if sauer lake is stocked yet?

Thank you

:)

HunterDave
05-07-2012, 02:02 AM

The term "big" is relative and everyone has their own idea of what "big" is. For me a 3 lb trout is big and a 5 lb trout is very big.....If you translate the length into inches those are pretty darned good trout in my books, and for the people that I know that fish as well.

Salters is close to the city but some people are capable of catching fish of those sizes while others can't. It makes me wonder about these guys that go to out of the way stocked lakes that don't winterkill and then report that there are only smaller trout in them and no big ones left. I think that allot of the time it's the fisherman that has the problems and not the lake. That's my theory. :)

waterninja
05-07-2012, 03:28 AM
The term "big" is relative and everyone has their own idea of what "big" is. For me a 3 lb trout is big and a 5 lb trout is very big.....If you translate the length into inches those are pretty darned good trout in my books, and for the people that I know that fish as well.

Salters is close to the city but some people are capable of catching fish of those sizes while others can't. It makes me wonder about these guys that go to out of the way stocked lakes that don't winterkill and then report that there are only smaller trout in them and no big ones left. I think that allot of the time it's the fisherman that has the problems and not the lake. That's my theory. :)
not completly sure what you are getting at but i do agree on your def. of big, especially here in alberta. in b.c. a 3lbs or even 5lbs bow might be considered average.
as to which lakes might hold large bows it can be hit or miss and i for one have no trouble telling people which lakes i caught a big one in. in all honesty i believe it comes down to plain luck sometimes but the more times you hit the water the greater your chance to get lucky. getting that big one in the net on the other hand does sometimes require experiance.

KoldFusion
05-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Not strictly C&R myself. But 5 a day from a stocked pond is too high.

I believe the quote from the stocking program is "...to provide angling opportunities..." not "...To provide anglers with food..."

Mark
05-09-2012, 03:39 PM
I couldn't agree more. A 5 fish per day limit is way too high. I really like some of the trophy lake's policies. One under 16" and 1 over 16" or one over 20". The fishing is consistenly good, and fish are a decent size. I usually C&R, but I have an elderly neighbor and I sometimes keep a fish for him. Its just nice to have the option. I don't see why we can't have all the lakes under these policies. If people are concerned about kids getting bored, one, action in these lakes is usually consistent enough to keep kids interested, second, institute kids only ponds around town/cities where catchable trout are stocked and ONLY kids are allowed to angle. I've always maintained that we are fish for sport, not fishing for subsistence, hence why its called sportfishing.

Thats just my 2cent....

slivers86
05-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Lets get it back on track guys...

WTHunter
05-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Watched them stock Dolberg today. 18,000 fish between 3-8".
He said Peanut tomorrow.
Carson gets five truckloads next week. (According to the driver).

Paul C
05-09-2012, 08:09 PM
WTHunter were you camped up there today ?

pikergolf
05-09-2012, 08:17 PM
I couldn't agree more. A 5 fish per day limit is way too high. I really like some of the trophy lake's policies. One under 16" and 1 over 16" or one over 20". The fishing is consistenly good, and fish are a decent size. I usually C&R, but I have an elderly neighbor and I sometimes keep a fish for him. Its just nice to have the option. I don't see why we can't have all the lakes under these policies. If people are concerned about kids getting bored, one, action in these lakes is usually consistent enough to keep kids interested, second, institute kids only ponds around town/cities where catchable trout are stocked and ONLY kids are allowed to angle. I've always maintained that we are fish for sport, not fishing for subsistence, hence why its called sportfishing.

Thats just my 2cent....

I agree to a point, five fish costs a lot of money to put into a lake, a limit of one or two should work for anyone. What I disagree with is the trophy lakes allowing any kept fish, if it's a trophy take a few pics and a measurement, get a mount done. Harvesting every fish over 20" is not going to get trophy fish, and from what I've seen not many get released.

ronnyboy
05-09-2012, 08:22 PM
People taking their daily limit isn't the real reason. It's people who make multiple trips in one day AND taking the limit each time. With DeWitts so close to the cities, it's a no brainer how DeWitts fishing won't last into August. Personally I've never been to DeWitts early enough to get any fish (even in mid July) :mad0100:

These trout ponds also get hit very hard once people realize they've been stocked. I reported a guy fishing with 2 rods last year at one of the put & take pond. He hid the other one by laying it on the ground beside him so he could reach for it quickly when a CO should happen to come by.

Ignorant people don't realize "possesion limit" means on you or what you have in the freezer at home,if you go out Saturday and catch 5,don't eat any,your Sunday catch limit now becomes o

WTHunter
05-09-2012, 10:42 PM
"WTHunter were you camped up there today ?"

No, just fished the morning and happened to be there when the truck arrived.

yada
05-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Some places are stocked with 500 trout

if a family of 5 all catch their limit, thats 25 trout. thats 5% of all of the fish. 20 families like that, the pond will be emply.

i think the limit should be lowered, like 2 or 3 at max.

but yeah, fishing stocked ponds are fun because its normally easy to catch fish. And keeping fish is alright but people should be aware that there is a limited amound of fish, and it should last more than 2 weeks after stocking.

coppercarbide
05-10-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm definitely not a pure C&R guy, I think part of the fun is catching some food. However, I don't see the benefit to keeping 5 fish as compared to 2 fish. If the limit was lowered to 2, there would be less harvest, less need for stocking fish. This would in turn lead to more funds for larger stocked fish, or more stocked lakes. I fail to see how this is not a win-win!

I composed and sent the letter below on this issue last night:
Hi there,

I just have a general question on keep limits for stocked ponds. I'm wondering if there is a study or report for why the number is 5? Or is this just because somebody, once upon a time, picked that number, and now it sticks out of tradition?

I think 5 is too many, and I'll give 5 reasons why:
1. The mandate is to 'Provide trout fishing in areas where few other angling opportunities exist", not to "provide sustenance".
2. These lakes are supposed to take angling pressure off other natural lakes, but if they are fished out in 2 weeks by people who are there every night getting 5 fish, it does not achieve this.
3. It seems there would be an obvious opportunity to take children to these ponds. Children have a short attention span and it is only worth taking them if there is a reasonable amount of action, not possible on ponds that get fished out quickly.
4. Every single harvestable fish costs a LOT of money, the 1st fish someone takes costs as much as the 5th. However, it is quite obvious that the utility that a person gets from their 5th fish is no where NEAR what they get from their first and second.
5. Having 1000 families get out to a pond and know that everyone will have fun angling is FAR more important than having 10 families get out to a pond and have a single meal.

With that in mind, I ask you if it might be more beneficial to lower the limit to 2 fish in most stocked ponds. This will solve all 5 of the above issues, and the decrease in harvest will also mean that you can either stock larger fish in existing lakes, or stock fish in more lakes!
This seems like a win-win, and the only ones who would complain are those who are abusing the fishery to the detriment of others.

Bigtoad
05-10-2012, 01:00 PM
:sLo_BigBearHug:

Just out of curiosity, who did you send it to in SRD?

Cheers.

crosbyfan123
05-10-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm definitely not a pure C&R guy, I think part of the fun is catching some food. However, I don't see the benefit to keeping 5 fish as compared to 2 fish. If the limit was lowered to 2, there would be less harvest, less need for stocking fish. This would in turn lead to more funds for larger stocked fish, or more stocked lakes. I fail to see how this is not a win-win!

Hi there,

I just have a general question on keep limits for stocked ponds. I'm wondering if there is a study or report for why the number is 5? Or is this just because somebody, once upon a time, picked that number, and now it sticks out of tradition?

Nobody cares.
1. The mandate is to 'Provide trout fishing in areas where few other angling opportunities exist", not to "provide sustenance".
2. These lakes are supposed to take angling pressure off other natural lakes, but if they are fished out in 2 weeks by people who are there every night getting 5 fish, it does not achieve this.
3. It seems there would be an obvious opportunity to take children to these ponds. Children have a short attention span and it is only worth taking them if there is a reasonable amount of action, not possible on ponds that get fished out quickly.
4. Every single harvestable fish costs a LOT of money, the 1st fish someone takes costs as much as the 5th. However, it is quite obvious that the utility that a person gets from their 5th fish is no where NEAR what they get from their first and second.
5. Having 1000 families get out to a pond and know that everyone will have fun angling is FAR more important than having 10 families get out to a pond and have a single meal.

With that in mind, I ask you if it might be more beneficial to lower the limit to 2 fish in most stocked ponds. This will solve all 5 of the above issues, and the decrease in harvest will also mean that you can either stock larger fish in existing lakes, or stock fish in more lakes!
This seems like a win-win, and the only ones who would complain are those who are abusing the fishery to the detriment of others..

Nobody cares ok.

Sir. Kenneth
05-10-2012, 03:02 PM
I was out at Dewitt's and just the Airdrie Pond yesterday because i heard they had stocked them already and i didn't see a fish rise or get a single bite. Where is the information coming from that the ponds were stocked already? I figured it was a little early to be stocking?

fishingmaster2097
05-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Spruce Meadows is melted and they said they would be stocking it in the next couple of weeks. I went flyfishing there on tuesday night. Nothing. The amount of weeds did drop though, significantly. A lot of geese! :)

Sundancefisher
05-10-2012, 03:56 PM

Hi there,

This seems like a win-win, and the only ones who would complain are those who are abusing the fishery to the detriment of others.

Well said...however I would have to agree with the sentiment that some lakes that have less pressure can sustain 5 for a harvest. I also think a lake like Mt Lorette Ponds should have a zero limit for able bodied adults and a 2 per day limit for children and handicapped adults.

Paul C
05-10-2012, 04:18 PM
"WTHunter were you camped up there today ?"

No, just fished the morning and happened to be there when the truck arrived.
I was there in the am to film some video on catching those tanks in Dolberg. The shoot was short but the crew managed to catch some good video. Release date is up in the air right now. I spoke to Jim and Rita and are doing fine and he is now the unofficial camp host up there and deserves the title. He has been quite helpful to lots of campers and always gives good fishing reports. The time of the shoot he was complaining about the cold windy weather.
Happy Trout Hunting :character0110:

coppercarbide
05-11-2012, 08:17 AM
:sLo_BigBearHug:

Just out of curiosity, who did you send it to in SRD?

Cheers.

I actually sent it to the general mailbox at AB Conservation (the stocking authority), and got a quick reply from a gentleman named Trevor who forwarded it to SRD. I figured they probably know better who to send it to, and they might be able to get in a little "see, I told you so" wink in there as well, hahaha.

Nobody cares ok.

Holy hell you ignorant piece of ****. Ever single thread I look in all I see is your waste of skin mouth flapping bull**** in the wind. I don't know what the hell your problem is, but I think you'd bring more value to this forum if you opened you moth and chewed a bullet. Why don't you go play xbox with the rest of the 11 year olds.