PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry Kananaskis Lakes

Tremor
05-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Howdy. Just wondering if anyone can tell me when some of the backcountry Kananaskis lakes open up. I'm thinking of doing a hike up into Maude Lake in early July. Would the ice be off by then? Any info on different lakes and when they open up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Gary K
05-01-2012, 09:40 AM
all the info you need on opening dates can be found here

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

As for the snow, should be ok in early july, might be some drifts in the shadows but should be good to fish!

Okotokian
05-01-2012, 09:43 AM
all the info you need on opening dates can be found here

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

As for the snow, should be ok in early july, might be some drifts in the shadows but should be good to fish!

And perhaps ice still on lakes. I fished Loomis a couple years ago in July and only about 25% of the lake was ice-free. But I'd still take a chance on any lake in July. Check again closer to the date you are going.

jacenbeers
05-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Chester Lake is a pretty awesome lake for fishing. It is the only lake in Alberta that has dolly varden and it also has a healthy population of cutties in the creeks and in the lake itself. It is a nice hike and will be open by July.

dave99
05-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Tremor, I've been to Maude 5 times, in July and August. I never saw ice on it during these months. Probably earliest I've been there is ~July 10th. It's pretty high elevation in that North Kananaskis pass area, but I would be surprised if it's not ice free by then (I've been wrong before tho).

Chester is good and is pretty easy to access -just hike uphill for about an hour.
Three Isle is also good, with much longer access and some pretty good sized cutthroats.
Maude is a beautiful and long hike in, with lots of little and medium cutties in a beautiful setting.
Of these 3, I would suspect that Chester would be the first to open up. May be a good backup plan if the rangers tell you than Maude is still closed.

Tight lines,
Dave

Tremor
05-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the information guys, appreciate it. Is there anything for backcountry trout lakes that would have the ice off in May, or does a guy have to wait until June?

Flyfisher87
05-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the information guys, appreciate it. Is there anything for backcountry trout lakes that would have the ice off in May, or does a guy have to wait until June?

Some years I have hiked into Allstones Lake around the end of May and the ice was off. It is further north ( west of Nordegg) then the area you are thinking about going to. Never fished it, but there are brookies in there and it is a nice hike in.

BGAngler
05-01-2012, 06:28 PM
I really liked Rawson. Of course, I forgot my rod (had all my other gear though!), but I'll definitely make that hike again. A couple guys were catching something every cast. Great scenery and the fish were beauties.