PDA

View Full Version : Advice for the Athabasca

Dfish
05-01-2012, 09:43 PM
I plan on fishing the Athabasca outside Jasper park this Friday. Any recommendations? I fly fish and use spinning gear, but hope to c 'n r some trout. I have everything from full sink to floating lines and 6 to 8 WT rods.
Would nymphing or streamers work best this time of year? Appreciate any input on acces points too, as this is my first Athabasca adventure. Thanks everyone.

ddddd05
05-03-2012, 12:37 AM
I plan on fishing the Athabasca next week as well. I have read that flutter spoons work for bulls. I have also seen pics of bulls people have caught with large black flies, like a pike fly. For rockies I think the best is the nail and nymph setup.

This is all coming from a guy who has never caught a fish from the Athabasca, but I have caught bulls and rockies in the Mcleod with these rigs.

duffy4
05-03-2012, 09:10 AM
There is a book called "Alberta's Trout Highway" (by Barry Mitchell) that gives info on all the rivers and streams along the Trunk Road. I recall the chapter on the Athabasca river being very informative on times and patterns for good fishing.