PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical bear bait question...

nekred
05-02-2012, 12:13 PM
You have been baiting one location on public land for 5 years and you come out for year 6 and someone else has placed bait close to your location (100 yards away) and has it all signed and setup....

This is not illegal but what is your ethical position on this situation and what would be the way you would resolve this....

1) Move on and find another place

2) Rip all his stuff out and place up your staion

3) Place your station is usual spot 100 yards away

4) Diesel his Bait....Take a dump in his treestand.... and drive off in your black dodge dually...

5) Other

ndw
05-02-2012, 12:16 PM
I would use his bait. It is obvious that that person knew that you were using that area. Save your sweat and put up a stand 50 yards from the bait. I would and good luck.

pseelk
05-02-2012, 12:28 PM
You have been baiting one location on public land for 5 years and you come out for year 6 and someone else has placed bait close to your location (100 yards away) and has it all signed and setup....

This is not illegal but what is your ethical position on this situation and what would be the way you would resolve this....

4) Diesel his Bait....Take a dump in his treestand.... and drive off in your black dodge dually...

5) Other
I would go with #4 LOL,Just kidding.I would find some other place to bait,Its not worth the time to make his life miserable when you could be out hunting.He may be a new guy who didnt know you were going to be useing the area again,and like you said its not illeagle.Probably just doesnt know any better.

fish_e_o
05-02-2012, 12:50 PM
i would put my bait out earlier next year

huntingnut
05-02-2012, 12:50 PM
What makes you think he knew you had been there for the last 5 years? Sounds like he beat you in there this year and if so there should have been no evidence that you were baiting in the past as site should have been cleaned up. If thats the case then he has as much of a rite to be there as you do. Sucks sometimes but that's hunting on public land so my vote is for #1.

Now if you already had your site set-up for this year and then he moved in that's a different story.

Just my 2c.

Jimmyjjj
05-02-2012, 01:40 PM
What makes you think he knew you had been there for the last 5 years? Sounds like he beat you in there this year and if so there should have been no evidence that you were baiting in the past as site should have been cleaned up. If thats the case then he has as much of a right to be there as you do. Sucks sometimes but that's hunting on public land so my vote is for #1.

Now if you already had your site set-up for this year and then he moved in that's a different story.

Just my 2c.

Completely agree. Sucks, but I bet you will be out there earlier next year ;)

Jamie Black R/T
05-02-2012, 01:45 PM
find another spot in the area a half mile away and make sure your bait stinks more and is filled up more often....he wont be back next season.

nekred
05-02-2012, 02:32 PM
OK so if you see that another bait is already going and you decide to bait in area how far away would you have to setup to be courteous...

High_N_Wide
05-02-2012, 02:51 PM
I would keep my bait going and let him know of my intent and the reason for it. If he has any respect eh would apologize and move on. (he may not understand how far apart you should be :snapoutofit:)

If he continued to bait then I guess I will leave my thought to myself. lol

If I had an established bait but have not baited yet this year, then I guess I have missed out and I'm playing second fiddle. Would not be happy about it but this is the reason I always try to get my baits out as early as possible.

Trev

Marko
05-02-2012, 02:57 PM
I was a little worried about myself doing this to someone else this year. We are baiting in a new area this year, and are a little unfamiliar with the area. Never seen any other baits out there yet, so hopefully this thread is actually "hypothetical"! Lol

drake
05-02-2012, 03:08 PM
many years ago i stuck a bait a couple hundred yards off a remote cutline....it took 3 years before i found a very established bait only a 500 yards away (and another one 1/2 mile away). It was only after analyzing the random behavior of the bears that we thought to investigate the area a little more thoghrly. i would recommend doing some recon around your bait site to avoid issues in the future. If your bait is within 5 miles of another site you're going to have problems consistently drawing bears and predicting their visits.....

BackPackHunter
05-02-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm NOT a bear hunter!
Just a question.... I've been hearing a lot about diesel
Why would u pour it on someone's bait?
I thought a while ago someone told me bears like diesel...

Jamie Black R/T
05-02-2012, 03:23 PM
I thought a while ago someone told me bears like diesel...

did they say this as you set up a bait site 100 yards from their site? :scared0018:

BackPackHunter
05-02-2012, 03:40 PM
did they say this as you set up a bait site 100 yards from their site? :scared0018:

No, I have never hunted bears

ASAT1
05-02-2012, 03:43 PM
If you can work it out , do so cause I heard of some one going to court over a whole lot of crap like this and took over 6 months to resolve which screwed up everything, and thats only from some pics on the camera.It was called something like interferring with a bait site,something like trespassing and that was on public land

GillieSuit
05-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Sounds like a case of didn't know you were there, but I haven't seen the site so I can't say for sure. The signs should have names and WIN's if they are legal so contact the owners of the bait and discuss in a civilized manor. Most outdoorsmen are decent folks. Who knows perhaps a friendship can be made and you could all work together. I would try this approach first. If the owners of the bait are jerks then go with option #4 or something to that affect.

Cheers

nekred
05-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Once again i stress this is completely hypothetical...

Just asking question to get feedback.. andidea because every now and then a new hunter asks this tyoe of question and it is nice to provide feedback besides what is legal.,... just like in hockey there are unwritten rules...

I can also see some more information is required....

You can either assume person did this in ignorance (not knowing you baited there...)

Or

that you had been there and the difference in responses as a result... even though legally the rules are the same!...

GillieSuit
05-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Definitely nothing illegal in this scenario. It is an ethical debate for sure. That's why I say attempt to contact and come to a resolution first before jumping to conclusions and jumpin on the A hole Train. Anyway just my two cents.

Savage 88
05-02-2012, 04:48 PM
gilliesuit has the right idea. a fews years back we changed our bait locations as 4 hours home on a sunday night was to much and by accident we set up a bait within 400 yards of someone else. we had built our stand s in the winter and therefore had not seen any signs of the other baits they had no signs. baiting in the spring we noticed that there were other quad tracks around and we found the other bait site. realizing we had set up to an established bait we where in the process of removing our site when the other hunter showed up and after a short conversation he informed us that he had failed to post his site so he would move. we again admitted we were in the wrong and would move but he insisted we stay. point being that before you do anything drastic contact the other hunter and just explain your dilemma to him you will probably be surprised with the response.

TheLegend
05-02-2012, 04:58 PM
I guess just find another place. But then again I think people baiting should check the surrounding area of there bait site to make sure no one else is there. If there is then they should move. BTW what is all this black dodge dually stuff I hear it a lot around here?

elkhunter11
05-02-2012, 05:11 PM
What makes you think he knew you had been there for the last 5 years? Sounds like he beat you in there this year and if so there should have been no evidence that you were baiting in the past as site should have been cleaned up. If thats the case then he has as much of a rite to be there as you do. Sucks sometimes but that's hunting on public land so my vote is for #1.

I agree 100%.

Jameson340
05-02-2012, 05:20 PM
No way, i would never give up a bait that i have had going for 5 years, it is oviously a established bait site, buddy is taking advantage of that and moving in.

H380
05-02-2012, 05:28 PM
I know how much work goes into establishing a baitsite and how frustrating it can be to have someone else show up in YOUR spot . I 'd suggest contacting the other party and try to work something out, it may be an honest mistake .. No luck then I 'd move off in the direction you think the bears are coming from and set , again not right on his doorstep .. I wouldn't resort to the diesel approach ,, seen guys do that and it makes them as big a loser as the guy at fault .. good luck .

deanerG
05-02-2012, 05:53 PM

Just my 2c.

Sucks but it's still public land (meaning everyones, NOT YOURS) even if you used it 30 years in a row doesn't give anyone the right to screw with anyone else's setup.

CNP
05-02-2012, 07:37 PM

5) Other

1. After the end of every season you must remove your bait/barrels, signs etc.
2. By the context of your hypothetical post you would lead us to believe that no clean up has taken place. The WIN nbr of the hunter and "bait" signs are displayed year after year, not being removed? This is aginst the law.
3. Now if you say the stand was cleaned up at the end of last years season how would another hunter know it was previously hunted?
3. The whole thing about how long the area has been baited (5 years) is a red herring issue. The first huntere to put bait down, his WIN number and bear bait warning signs is the owner of the stand.
4. If you rip his stuff out/diesel it you are the one with a problem.

This is hypothetical....not directed at you.

BIG JIMMY
05-02-2012, 07:58 PM
WOW, all these threads about people in your spots has gotten me worried.
I set up a new bait 2 weeks ago, after finding some good sign during last Septber's bow season. I am going back this weekend to check the site and grab the memory card from the camera. I'm sure hoping Im not in a spot where others are set up and have set up for years. I looked around last Fall and this spring and didn't see any sign of others baiting that area.

Guess I'll find out Saturday if my stands and camera are still there, and site hasn't been tampered with.

Remote area, but easy to get to.......could be a bad combination.

BIG JIMMY

demolition101
05-02-2012, 08:22 PM
i would put my bait out earlier next year

X2

1. It's public land
2. How do you know that the individual knew you baited there, could be a new hunter/baiter.

My 2 cents

MKD
05-03-2012, 11:41 AM
If you can work it out , do so cause I heard of some one going to court over a whole lot of crap like this and took over 6 months to resolve which screwed up everything, and thats only from some pics on the camera.It was called something like interferring with a bait site,something like trespassing and that was on public land

Any dates or jurisdiction for this one? Interesting to read it.

nekred
05-03-2012, 11:50 AM
I have heard the rumour but no more evidenc than that... there is a clause in wildlife act about it being illegal to interefere with anybody engaged in the lawful pursuit of game... I think messing with a bear bait is a stretch but could apply in this case...

Stefan
05-03-2012, 12:16 PM
I set up 2 new bait sites in WMU 300 hope I didnt take somebodies spot.
Put my baits out march 25

High_N_Wide
05-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Regardless of what we all "THINK" I will bet most of the baits that are out there, especially within a 2 - 3 hours of the city have another bait much closer than is realized. Lease roads and wellsites come from all different directions so the chances are very good that within a km or so of you, there is another bait.

I know I have spent alot of time looking over my area for other bait and 3 years ago I run into a couple guys who were baiting in the same area. We then found another bait that was an absolute disaster (F&W actually got a call about that one).

since then we have teamed resources and planning. It has resulted in a 7.5' and 6.5' bear over the last couple years. The big boy has eluded us but maybe this will be the year.

Sharing info with other guys in the area is great, sometimes you can help each other with checking baits and such. I know it has worked out good for us.

Good luck.

Trev

BIG JIMMY
05-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Just curious what the penalty can be for leaving a bait site up all year? (empty barrels of course). I came across a bait site last fall that hadn't been hunted since spring season. Barrels, tree stand, ladder, camera, buckets etc. all left out over the summer and fall. Only thing taken down was the signs, of there ever were any.

I'm not a thief, and I believe in Carma, so naturally I looked around and moved on. But I'd hate the guy to be mad and posting about stolen cameras etc, when he's too lazy to even come back all summer and fall to retrieve his gear.

Anyone else come across this before?

rottie
05-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Just curious what the penalty can be for leaving a bait site up all year? (empty barrels of course). I came across a bait site last fall that hadn't been hunted since spring season. Barrels, tree stand, ladder, camera, buckets etc. all left out over the summer and fall. Only thing taken down was the signs, of there ever were any.

I'm not a thief, and I believe in Carma, so naturally I looked around and moved on. But I'd hate the guy to be mad and posting about stolen cameras etc, when he's too lazy to even come back all summer and fall to retrieve his gear.

Anyone else come across this before?

yup north west of Rimbey

ASAT1
05-03-2012, 07:32 PM
I've been doing this for 4 years now and its pretty easy knowing now if someone else has been baiting in a spot, by seeing bones and certain trees fixed in way to shore up barrels, etc. We had a friend show us how and he's been in the area for 13 years and yes seems like more people lately but if everyone works together it'll be way easier then starting a bunch of crap that could lead to who knows what. We've run into afew baits that were disasters and left for a long time ,but just cleaned them up and saw a guy out looking for a sight and told him to try that one and to this day he's still using it.

H380
05-03-2012, 09:17 PM

2 new bait sites in WMU 300?.... you are kidding right ?:thinking-006:

buck-8835
05-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Its a ****ty deal. Ive had it happen to me. I got out set up all my stuff, and had been checking my baits for 2 weeks before i saw someone else set up about 200 yards closer to the road. Long story short he told me he has been baiting there for 10 years and basically wants to me take a hike. So now I don't go in there in the spring because apparently he owns the crown land in this beautiful province of OURS. He however does not bait in the fall, and i do most of the time so i guess one could say that we split the difference. :argue2: I would like to add that I like your option with taking a dump in his tree stand though lol! would love to see the look on his face! Good luck this season I hope ya drop a tank man!

KegRiver
05-03-2012, 10:55 PM

Baiting of black bears is permitted in the
following WMUs: 322, 330-338, 348, 358-360,
500-507, 509, 510, 512-520, 522, 523, 529-536,
539-542 and portions of WMUs 320, 324, 357,
521, 526, 528 and 544

I don't see WMU 300 on that list.

H380
05-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Baiting of black bears is permitted in the
following WMUs: 322, 330-338, 348, 358-360,
500-507, 509, 510, 512-520, 522, 523, 529-536,
539-542 and portions of WMUs 320, 324, 357,
521, 526, 528 and 544

I don't see WMU 300 on that list.

Exactly , that's why I asked if he was kidding ..not to say that a few don't do it , but it's not smart .

Big Daddy Badger
05-04-2012, 02:04 AM
Exactly , that's why I asked if he was kidding ..not to say that a few don't do it , but it's not smart .

Doh!!!

Somebody's in for a mauling...

Stefan
05-04-2012, 05:06 AM
Its WMU 330 my mistake.

H380
05-04-2012, 06:45 AM
Its WMU 330 my mistake.

Your forgiven ..lol. baiting in 300 would get you in some hot water with both fish cops and the local nonexistant grizz population .I know guys that live in that area that never evn saw a black bear last year , but an over healthy grizzly herd was out in full force .