PDA

View Full Version : How do you tell someone not to hunt

bushnell
05-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Okay as different as this sounds, how do you tell someone not to hunt? Here is the problem,my son has a friend who wants to go bear hunting. I took him out last november and helped him get his first deer. Got him started,with the intent of mentoring him again next season. He is a decent shot but needs more practice. He is determined to get a bear this spring,my son has been trying to persuade him to wait until fall. We have offered to help him then. How do you tell someone that they are not ready to go after something,but not turn them off of hunting?

Lefty-Canuck
05-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Is he planning on going alone?

If he is explain to him how difficult as a rookie it is to hunt bear alone (as an inexperienced hunter). If you make a marginal shot you are going after something that can fight back...

Also pose the question....so you got a bear, NOW WHAT? :)

Does he know he needs to skin the bear out properly to make it worth while keeping? He also needs to know how to tag it...all the rules regarding keeping the fur etc.

Explain to him you would be happy to help him but the spring is not going to work for you.

Get him out shooting gophers first :)

LC

jeffreys 21234
05-02-2012, 09:08 PM
as a bear rooki wondering what proper procedure would be to skinng and taggen etc?

upongrassy
05-02-2012, 09:08 PM
What is it that you feel he is incapable of doing? Do you fear for his safety in the woods, or just his lack of what to do given that he does harvest a bear? Or isjust a combanation.

Lefty-Canuck
05-02-2012, 09:11 PM
as a bear rooki wondering what proper procedure would be to skinng and taggen etc?

Do you know how to skin a bear?

Do you know where to tag it?

I would suggest trying to find a mentor or read some articles (google search) on the topic before you get out there.

If you are going to hunt a bear....these are things you NEED to know.....

The horse goes INFRONT of the cart and the underwear go UNDER the pants :)

LC

jeffreys 21234
05-02-2012, 09:14 PM
im looking for info yes know where to tag but do not know proper way to skin it thats why i was asking would rather have some helpfull tips so i dont just ruin the hide

bushnell
05-02-2012, 09:29 PM
As it stands right now,my son will be going out with him this weekend. His intent is not to encourage the hunt, but not screw it up(too badly) either. I am willing to help him, but he has a learning curve to deal with before he is ready for the next step.

Badgoodguy
05-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Tell him how greasy it is to skin the bear :) And how much they look like a human and that might help LOL

Big Daddy Badger
05-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Free country...of age... all you can do is try to influence....or just give him the straight goods.
The guy listens or doesn't and accepts the consequences of his decision.

Don't get me wrong...I understand having gone through it myself but...that's just the way it is.

In my case... the guy evolved into a complete dope and will no doubt suffer for it down the road.
Once he "left the reservation" I washed my hands of him and walked away.

You can't cut trail for another man forever.

lannie
05-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Why don't you introduce him to this forum. Lots of experienced guys on here who might be close by where he is hunting and would not mind helping him.
It might be easier to help him in a more positive way that would lead to his success on his bear hunt.

MKD
05-03-2012, 11:36 AM
If he is actually that inexperienced, do you think he is actually going to blunder into a bear on his own? Odds are fairly low in my estimation.
I'll bet he gets to learn just how tough it is to hunt.
Problem with mentoring is they do not know exactly how much you are doing for them.
He may just get an appreciation.

Okotokian
05-03-2012, 11:50 AM
As it stands right now,my son will be going out with him this weekend. His intent is not to encourage the hunt, but not screw it up(too badly) either. I am willing to help him, but he has a learning curve to deal with before he is ready for the next step.

What precisely is his handicap that concerns you? A bit more info might be helpful.

You mention that he is a "decent" shot but needs practice. Heck, me too. Is that the issue? Doesn't mean he shouldn't hunt IMHO. It means he shouldn't take shots he doesn't have a very high likelihood of making. Is he capable of correctly identifying a bear and hitting its vitals at 50 or 100 yards?

Grizzly Adams
05-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Okay as different as this sounds, how do you tell someone not to hunt? Here is the problem,my son has a friend who wants to go bear hunting. I took him out last november and helped him get his first deer. Got him started,with the intent of mentoring him again next season. He is a decent shot but needs more practice. He is determined to get a bear this spring,my son has been trying to persuade him to wait until fall. We have offered to help him then. How do you tell someone that they are not ready to go after something,but not turn them off of hunting?

You're not afraid of going bear hunting with him, are you. :lol: Can't see any legitimate reason here, he shouldn't go. Got a deer allready, after all. Hell, most of us started this way. Got smarter as we went along. :D

Grizz

rancho-non-relaxo
05-03-2012, 06:35 PM
You're not afraid of going bear hunting with him, are you. :lol: Can't see any legitimate reason here, he shouldn't go. Got a deer allready, after all. Hell, most of us started this way. Got smarter as we went along. :D

Grizz

Yeah I agree unless there is something that would prevent him from hunting alone the best way to learn how to hunt is in the doing. I appreciate that you want to mentor him but don't hold him back if he wants to try alone, and as far as him getting a bear these things usually end up as "taking his gun for a walk. No skinning that way.:)

Lefty-Canuck
05-03-2012, 06:45 PM
I am with Bushnell on this one and would share his concern....sounds like the kid needs more direction. Would hate to have a new guy shoot a sow with cub(s) or shoot a grizz by accident....

Just cause he shot one deer doesn't make him a seasoned bear hunter....:)

LC

pottymouth
05-03-2012, 07:50 PM
If he's old enough to go alone, help him understand the rules and make sure he knows what he's doing, and to be safe . Not everyone had someone beside them on their first bear hunt! Unless he's not capabale of being safe, or following rules?

Heck we didn't know how to skin a bear my first time, no quad, no cell phones, no nothing but a gutted bear and a 2.5 km drag, whole !

lol, learning curve was huge after that !lol

walking buffalo
05-03-2012, 08:04 PM
If he's old enough to go alone, help him understand the rules and make sure he knows what he's doing, and to be safe . Not everyone had someone beside them on their first bear hunt! Unless he's not capabale of being safe, or following rules?

Heck we didn't know how to skin a bear my first time, no quad, no cell phones, no nothing but a gutted bear and a 2.5 km drag, whole !

lol, learning curve was huge after that !lol

And I'll bet you did learn from the escapade. The question is are you any wiser now?

:snapoutofit: :D

Some people learn by doing things for themselves.

I hope the friend has a great time, and no one screws it up (too badly)....

bushnell
05-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Had a talk with him and my son today, expressed my concerns to him. They are still going out tommorrow,but with a change in plans. They will still try for a bear,but not too hard,more of a long walk in the bush. They plan on doing some fishng as well.
I told him my concerns and he listened to what I had to say. We agreed not to agree on all of my concerns. I guess this will all work out in the end.

-JR-
05-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Tell him to bring alot of bug spray ,smoke coils work well also .
Has he priced out what it will cost to get it mounted ?

pottymouth
05-03-2012, 09:24 PM
And I'll bet you did learn from the escapade. The question is are you any wiser now? :snapoutofit: :D

Some people learn by doing things for themselves.

I hope the friend has a great time, and no one screws it up (too badly)....

Alot wiser, we now bring new guys to do the dragging ...lol:sHa_shakeshout:

mudbug
05-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Had a talk with him and my son today, expressed my concerns to him. They are still going out tommorrow,but with a change in plans. They will still try for a bear,but not too hard,more of a long walk in the bush. They plan on doing some fishng as well.
I told him my concerns and he listened to what I had to say. We agreed not to agree on all of my concerns. I guess this will all work out in the end.

Hey just being open with him about your concerns is a step in the right direction. If your teaching someone to hunt etc and especially if they are going to be hunting with you or a family member then it's good to talk about things like what is expected and how you feel about certain aspects of heading out hunting.

Grizzly Adams
05-03-2012, 09:37 PM

Just got back fro bear hunting. :D I don't see what your concerns are. You're just working yourself into a tizzy about nothing. What exactly are you afraid of? Sound like my mother used to, when I first learned to drive. :lol:

Grizz

winged1
05-04-2012, 06:46 AM
if you and your son feel it's ok to have the son go out with him, all can't be bad. We've all learnt from our mistakes. Why is this fellow so special.

buckbrushoutdoors
05-04-2012, 08:39 AM
What exactly are YOUR concerns? I don't understand what your issues are. I learned all on my own, even got pretty good at it!

Grizzly Adams
05-04-2012, 08:55 AM
What exactly are YOUR concerns? I don't understand what your issues are. I learned all on my own, even got pretty good at it!

I think he's afraid of bears. Either that, or he's trolling. :lol:

Grizz

SugarCreek
05-04-2012, 01:58 PM
im looking for info yes know where to tag but do not know proper way to skin it thats why i was asking would rather have some helpfull tips so i dont just ruin the hide
The best thing to do is go and see a taxidermist near where you live and ask him to give you some pointers. Most would be happy to. Tagging can be done anywhere on the hide. Hope this helps.

One concern I would have with someone not knowing much about bear hunting or hunting in general is the chance of shooting a sow with cubs of the year. In the excitement of seeing the bear and getting the chance at a bear, it would be easy to miss seeing the little cubs.

I'm all for good hunter mentoring.....helps in the long run with hunter safety, developing good hunting ethics and if someone is willing to spend the time can really result in an amazing experience for the young hunter and will give them the desire to continue on in the sport. Good on you Bushnell for being willing to do some mentoring and being concerned about the situation.

Marco

bushnell
05-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Just so that I am not accussed of trolling or afraid of bears.My concerns are pretty staight forward.He has a grand total of 2 days hunting experience. He does not have a good grasp of what to do once the animal is down, got the I know what to do attidude from him.He also needs alot more practice shooting,and get used to the gun he is usng.His outdooor skills also need improvement. Now if that make me wrong for trying to wait until fall,and better his skills,let the flames roll.

Rocky7
05-04-2012, 09:01 PM
How do you tell someone that they are not ready to go after something,but not turn them off of hunting?

When in doubt, tell the truth. The rest is up to him.

Grizzly Adams
05-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Just so that I am not accussed of trolling or afraid of bears.My concerns are pretty staight forward.He has a grand total of 2 days hunting experience. He does not have a good grasp of what to do once the animal is down, got the I know what to do attidude from him.He also needs alot more practice shooting,and get used to the gun he is usng.His outdooor skills also need improvement. Now if that make me wrong for trying to wait until fall,and better his skills,let the flames roll.

Why didn't you just say so in the beginning, instead of beating around the bush. :D

Grizz

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-05-2012, 12:51 AM

I was once this way to , Learned pretty quick when my buddy stood there and said YOU SKIN IT . The first one was free now its your turn . WELL it took me 2 hours to skin a doe . But I learned pretty quick . Im 30 years old been hunting a Whopping 5 seasons now , and am still learning . You tell that young fella to give me a call , Ill tell em what its like .