PDA

View Full Version : who used this rig?

coyotezh
05-03-2012, 02:52 AM
does anyone used this rig? is it sensitive? what is the precaution? what's the pros and cons.... thanks first!

http://roundvalleyfishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/TomsStrikeIndicator-rod.jpg

WayneChristie
05-03-2012, 07:05 AM
give the rod a good hookset and that will bolo itself around your rod so you cant do anything if you dont remove it first

fish gunner
05-03-2012, 07:37 AM
what you have there is a drop back indicator. in the uk we used a similar rig for carp. as WC stated that set up has its issues. we used a dish water lid with an attached pop top with coins glued in the threaded section to get the correct balance. we used two bank sticks to hold the rod horizontal then hung the indicator between the reel and first guide. the dish wash lid is hung off the line open so that if you need to strike before you remove the indicator I falls off the line. hope that helps.

bobalong
05-03-2012, 08:43 AM
If you want to try and use an indicator while still fishing you might want to try the bobber-with-a-brain setup. I have been using one for about 4 years now, they are a bit bulky but work well. They automatically set at any depth, no stop required, and hold in current as well.

thorne
05-03-2012, 08:47 AM
If you want to try and use an indicator while still fishing you might want to try the bobber-with-a-brain setup. I have been using one for about 4 years now, they are a bit bulky but work well. They automatically set at any depth, no stop required, and hold in current as well.

Hey Bob, they work kinda like the soup bobbers right?

Geezle
05-03-2012, 09:19 AM

Sounds like it...:thinking-006:

bobalong
05-03-2012, 10:57 AM

Actually not really, the float has a steel ball in the bottom of them with a hole in the side. The line feeds from the bottom through the top, when you cast your rig, the line slides through the float until it hits the bottom. At his time the float is laying on its side, there is a small hole on the side of the float that fills with water, when this happens the float stands up, the ball slides down inside the float locking the line in place, tighting up the rig so it is more vertical at rest than a regular pickeral rig. When a fish takes the bait or fly the float just tips over, (line fed from bottom to top) offering very little resistance. As the fish takes the bait, the float turns upside down, releasing the ball so the line feeds freely, similar to a slip bobber.

I like them for checking drop offs, as it does not matter what depth you cast to, the float sets. You can make one cast in 8 ft of water, then cast into 16 ft and there is no need to slide bobber stops as there is no need for them. If you catch fish at a certain location, just cast back to that location, it does not really matter what the depth is.

As these rigs do not move (in wind or current), they will not work if you want to drift your rig along a weed bed, drop off etc, (use slip bobber for this) as they are a fixed in place presentation.

They work well, but are really just another presentation, like lindy rigging, pulling blades, jigging etc, but when fish are stacked up or you want to cast to a specific spot and want the bait to stay there with the bait suspended off the bottom they work well.

For walleye I usually tie them with a drop shot setup, one hook about a foot off the bottom and the other about 2 feet above that. I have used them for trout with two flies (tied drop shot style) at about the same depths.

I find they work better, if after the cast you slowly pull the rig toward you until it is directly below the float. This float then stands completely vertical and makes light hits easier to see. The exception to this is if you are using them in the river or high wind, they set at a probably a 45 degree angle or so, because of the current, but they do not move. I use about 1/2 oz ceramic weight on this rig.

coyotezh
05-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Actually not really, the float has a steel ball in the bottom of them with a hole in the side. The line feeds from the bottom through the top, when you cast your rig, the line slides through the float until it hits the bottom. At his time the float is laying on its side, there is a small hole on the side of the float that fills with water, when this happens the float stands up, the ball slides down inside the float locking the line in place, tighting up the rig so it is more vertical at rest than a regular pickeral rig. When a fish takes the bait or fly the float just tips over, (line fed from bottom to top) offering very little resistance. As the fish takes the bait, the float turns upside down, releasing the ball so the line feeds freely, similar to a slip bobber.

I like them for checking drop offs, as it does not matter what depth you cast to, the float sets. You can make one cast in 8 ft of water, then cast into 16 ft and there is no need to slide bobber stops as there is no need for them. If you catch fish at a certain location, just cast back to that location, it does not really matter what the depth is.

As these rigs do not move (in wind or current), they will not work if you want to drift your rig along a weed bed, drop off etc, (use slip bobber for this) as they are a fixed in place presentation.

They work well, but are really just another presentation, like lindy rigging, pulling blades, jigging etc, but when fish are stacked up or you want to cast to a specific spot and want the bait to stay there with the bait suspended off the bottom they work well.

For walleye I usually tie them with a drop shot setup, one hook about a foot off the bottom and the other about 2 feet above that. I have used them for trout with two flies (tied drop shot style) at about the same depths.

I find they work better, if after the cast you slowly pull the rig toward you until it is directly below the float. This float then stands completely vertical and makes light hits easier to see. The exception to this is if you are using them in the river or high wind, they set at a probably a 45 degree angle or so, because of the current, but they do not move. I use about 1/2 oz ceramic weight on this rig.

Could you please show a pic of it?

coyotezh
05-03-2012, 11:39 AM
give the rod a good hookset and that will bolo itself around your rod so you cant do anything if you dont remove it first

sounds like if I could remove it before setting the hook. it should work, shouldn't it? Looks like it would be worthy to try out......:sHa_shakeshout: I like to try different rigs out there to see what skill I could learn in a beautiful fishing day.

fish gunner
05-03-2012, 11:55 AM
sounds like if I could remove it before setting the hook. it should work, shouldn't it? Looks like it would be worthy to try out......:sHa_shakeshout: I like to try different rigs out there to see what skill I could learn in a beautiful fishing day.

not if a large enough fish takes the bait. first the bobber will fall then go back up till it jams in the guide then ping goes the line. the more steps needed to set the hook the less chance of hooking the fish.

bobalong
05-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Could you please show a pic of it?

Here is a link with all the info, I believe TFH still carries them, if not you can order them on line as well.
http://bigtentackle.com/

coyotezh
05-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Here is a link with all the info, I believe TFH still carries them, if not you can order them on line as well.

thanks

ReconWilly
05-03-2012, 01:21 PM

cool site, i'm gonna place an order, i like the ceramic sinkers.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-03-2012, 02:18 PM

yes they do , ive looked at them several time but never did buy one .

Cal
05-04-2012, 02:49 PM
does anyone used this rig? is it sensitive? what is the precaution? what's the pros and cons.... thanks first!

http://roundvalleyfishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/TomsStrikeIndicator-rod.jpg

Thats what I call a "toothpick rig" and it works awesome. You wrap a rubber band around the grip in front of the reel and slid a toothpick under it. In use you leave your bail open with a small loop of line pinched between the toothpick and the grip to keep the line tight. I clip the bobber to a large snap swivle or a paper clip to and hang that on the line so it is easyer to remove. When a fish bites the line gets pulled out of the toothpick and the bobber drops, the fish can then swim around with your bait with no resistance while you take off your bobber and set the hook whenever your ready.

Cal
05-04-2012, 02:54 PM
what you have there is a drop back indicator. in the uk we used a similar rig for carp. as WC stated that set up has its issues. we used a dish water lid with an attached pop top with coins glued in the threaded section to get the correct balance. we used two bank sticks to hold the rod horizontal then hung the indicator between the reel and first guide. the dish wash lid is hung off the line open so that if you need to strike before you remove the indicator I falls off the line. hope that helps.

Unless yor rig is significantly different than mine this will not work, when the bobber drops it pulls the line at an angle to the reel so that it periodicly catches on the spool rather than coming off freely. Unless you're using a baitcaster the indicator needs to be hung as shown if you want the fish to be able to take line with no resistance.

Mariko's Rod
05-04-2012, 05:11 PM
That contraption looks like it should be in a fishing museum

coyotezh
05-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Thats what I call a "toothpick rig" and it works awesome. You wrap a rubber band around the grip in front of the reel and slid a toothpick under it. In use you leave your bail open with a small loop of line pinched between the toothpick and the grip to keep the line tight. I clip the bobber to a large snap swivle or a paper clip to and hang that on the line so it is easyer to remove. When a fish bites the line gets pulled out of the toothpick and the bobber drops, the fish can then swim around with your bait with no resistance while you take off your bobber and set the hook whenever your ready.

could you please tell me a little bit more about how to slide a toothpick under the rubber band in order that when the fish strikes the toothpick would drop and pull the line away freely....??