PDA

View Full Version : First Time Cold Lake

huffy
05-03-2012, 07:19 AM
Hey all, I'm going to Cold Lake for the first time, May Long, and looking for any advice you have, thanks. Not particular about species, just enjoy fishing.

lindyrigger
05-03-2012, 09:04 AM
are you going ice fishing cause ice probably wont be off.

huffy
05-03-2012, 01:59 PM
are you going ice fishing cause ice probably wont be off.

I have to have faith it will be, otherwise I'll bring an auger!

Smokey
05-03-2012, 04:51 PM

Bring a life vest too

BGSH
05-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Bring a life vest too

lol:sHa_sarcasticlol:
:sHa_sarcasticlol:

-JR-
05-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Are you camping in the provincial camp ground. Heard its all booked up !

cube
05-04-2012, 10:06 AM

I'm not at Cold Lake, (perhaps some that live closer could comment on the lake conditions), but if the posting by Gilbertslake in Jan. is accurate (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=117996&highlight=cold+lake+freeze) you should be fairly safe with fishing on the May long.

Good Luck

208prov
05-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Ice just went off the small ponds here in cold lake a couple of days ago

Ardy
05-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Little bear isnt even ice free yet.

Esox
05-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Generally whats the best depth at this time of year for lakers there? Are they on the bottom deep? Suspended? or can a person just troll without any weight system at this time of year?

cube
05-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Generally whats the best depth at this time of year for lakers there? Are they on the bottom deep? Suspended? or can a person just troll without any weight system at this time of year?

They spread out, depth wise, some in the spring but I have always found that they can be caught with out having to go deeper than 35 ft. even in August. Normally I catch them at around the 35 ft and 80 ft levels trolling spoons or herring in 120 feet of water. Pink Lady's, Deeper divers, Jet divers, etc. or 3 way swivel rigs will all get you deep enough to catch fish if you don't have a downrigger. You can jig for them as well, too any depth you see them on your sonar.

Good Luck

gilbertslake
05-04-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm not at Cold Lake, (perhaps some that live closer could comment on the lake conditions), but if the posting by Gilbertslake in Jan. is accurate (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=117996&highlight=cold+lake+freeze) you should be fairly safe with fishing on the May long.

Good Luck

Just looking at the lake. Still lots of ice, but loosing a bit more each day around the shoreline. We need some warm weather then some good winds.

The wind has been out of the north/northeast for too long.

cube
05-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Just looking at the lake. Still lots of ice, but loosing a bit more each day around the shoreline. We need some warm weather then some good winds.

The wind has been out of the north/northeast for too long.

Thanks for that very valuable info.

I'm ussually not one for stong winds but I think I could be convinced to change my mind for a couple weeks in this case.

Thanks again.

gilbertslake
05-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks for that very valuable info.

I'm ussually not one for stong winds but I think I could be convinced to change my mind for a couple weeks in this case.

Thanks again.

Took a spin out to Little Bear. About 50-100ft open around most of shoreline. More open water on west side than on east. Actually it can be fished now along the shoreline. But no boats for while until ice goes off the middle of the lake.
When will all the ice be off Little Bear? your guess is as good as anyone else.
Boat launch area is a mess with junk and garbage.
I may go out again on Sunday and pick up some of what the azzholes have left behing.

huffy
05-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the replies..I'm getting more anxious as the days warm up!

haywarje
05-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Gonna hit Cabelas friday. Are you around then Huffy? May try get some divers.