PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody ever interefered with your hunt?

nekred
05-03-2012, 11:57 AM
I had a situation that really ticked me off... I was back home in NE BC bowhunting deer and I was putting a stalk on some mule deer when some guys could see me from the road and satrted hinking their horn and flashing their lights and spooked the deer away....

It was not a black dodge dually.. odlly enough it was a red one!...

It was on prvate land, I had written permission... My Dad happened to be parked farther up the road and met them and knew who it was and gave them an earful. I did not know about this law then or else I would have had them charged...

Turns out they were hunting for moose which was open for rifle and not even bowhunters so why wreck my hunt when I am not even after the same game?

Happened over 10 years ago and still ticks me off...

However karma works...next day in another area I arrowed a huge mule deer buck...178 typical with 2/8 of an inch in deductions... should have went much more by size and spread but 2nd set of forks for late on the beams...

nof60
05-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Had an outfitter buzz a dall ram I was stalking with a supercub. I know the plane. We had words. Then we had more than words. He promised not to do it again. At least I think thats what he was moaning.

Smokercraft
05-03-2012, 12:11 PM
My first year hunting I was with a couple buddies out in NE Alberta on private land owned by one of the guys Uncles, whom we'd got permission from. We were sitting just inside the tree line on a ridge in the evening waiting for some white tail's we'd seen the day before to come out on the field.

My truck was parked just inside the fence line in the field, visable from the road, but behind a ridge so as not to spook the deer. Fish Cop sees my truck, and because I'm new to the area didn't recognize it.

Rather than contact the land owner, who he knew, or wait for us to come out, he takes his truck and starts driving through the middle of the feild directly toward where we're hoping to see deer come out, to see who's hunting there.

When we came out and asked what he was doing he couldn't even be bothered to apologize.

Okotokian
05-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Just my #^#%# dog LOL Last year, canada's coming into my spread, I'm trying to get the mutt into my blind so he doesn't send them off... he won't get in, I'm pulling on him, swearing a blue streak. LOL

Other than that, nothing. Couple of occaisions where I've had to say to other hunters "You hunting this side? Ok, I'll hunt in the other direction". All cordial.

thumper
05-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Just a week ago , I had a guy jump out of his truck and chase a gobbler I had coming in to my call. When the guy finally saw me tucked away, camo'd up and with my call in hand - he realized that he had just busted my set-up, and fell all over himself apologising. Whenever I bumped into him over the next few days, he was always cruising in his truck - but he never failed to stop, blush and apologize again.

H380
05-03-2012, 12:38 PM
This is gonna be a long thread if everyone chimes in with their story .. Safe to say it's happened to all of us , some totally by accident and others not .Every situation is different,.easy to blow your cool and be a re-offender , I know I'm guilty as the next guy on that one .

elkhunter11
05-03-2012, 12:55 PM
We were hunting elk on private land which we have permission for, and often hunt with the landowner. A truck pulls down the trail, and parks 100 yards from the timber that the elk always come from to feed in the field. We walked over to the truck and asked if they had permission to hunt there. Their story was that they had permission, and had hunted there many times. The hunt was ruined for the evening, so we went to the landowners house , and asked him if anyone else had permission, to which he replied only us and his son. The landowner drove out to the field, only to discover that the two trespassers had hunted there once with a friend of the landowners a few years ago, but they did not have permission to be there since. The trespassers were then informed in no uncertain terms that they were to leave , and never return. Not only were these clueless people trespassing, but they expected the elk to come to the field even though their truck was parked right in the field.

leo
05-03-2012, 01:08 PM
The landowner drove out to the field, only to discover that the two trespassers had hunted there once with a friend of the landowners a few years ago, but they did not have permission to be there since. The trespassers were then informed in no uncertain terms that they were to leave , and never return.
Isn't it strange how some people feel that a one time invite instantly gives them life time priveliges? I still ask people every single year, even though I have known them for ever and hunted there for years. I never take someones privacy and friendship for granted, it's not worth it.

Redneck Renagade
05-03-2012, 01:16 PM
My buddies had it happen to them up in northern Alberta when they were out for draw bull moose. They seen a couple bulls and started to make a stalk on them when a vehicle pulled up and started filming the moose. The moose got nervous and left of course so when my buddy got back to there truck he gave them quite an earful. When he got up to them he recognized them from a tv show on wild tv.

220swifty
05-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Was sitting in a stand with my buddies wife on the corner of a quarter we had permission on. The quarters to the south and southeast were also good to go, the quarter directly east of us was a definite and hard 'no go'.

Just as prime time was arriving, a noisy old ford diesel rolled up to the fence line about 20 yards from the base of our tree. I climbed down to let him know, in case he didn't know, that we were hunting. He gave me an interrogation, asked who we were and who owned the quarter we were on. I told him the landowners name and let him know full well we had permission. He was the owner of the 'no go' quarter, and hated the idea of us killing deer so close to his land. He let me know exactly what would happen if my body or my bullets crossed the fence. I told him he would not have to worry about that. Apparently he didn't buy it, because he decided to patrol the fence in that noisy diesel for the remainder of the evening.

I thought about filing a complaint, but realized that he would just argue that he was just doing farm work.

Oh well, my wife shot a pretty good buck on that quarter the next weekend, which coincidentally was bumped onto the quarter by someone else doing the flash the lights, honk the horn routine.

Okotokian
05-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Isn't it strange how some people feel that a one time invite instantly gives them life time priveliges? I still ask people every single year, even though I have known them for ever and hunted there for years. I never take someones privacy and friendship for granted, it's not worth it.

good advice. I suspect most here follow it.

Hagalaz
05-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Seeing as I don't hunt all that much, the chances of my hunt being interuppted were lessened.

But a friend that lives in the Kiamichi Mountains of Oklahoma had the experience of someone purposefully ruining his chances of success. His brother and him were hunting deer (about 10-12 years ago), when someone in close proximity to their location began blasting what he called "an air boat horn" (I think he was talking about an air/gas powered signal horn). Of course, all the deer in the area would have fled. Upon talking to other hunters, he found that they too had experiences like this. It only happened that one year and never again. He thought it was just some "local troublemaker" having fun at other's expense.

I have always wondered if a group like PETA would pull something like this, to intentionally ruin the deer hunt. He said he never even thought that they would go the trouble of messing with hunters in rural Oklahoma, that they must have other areas with more concern.

Who knows?

choink
05-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Had similar experiences in Edmonton area. I phoned fish and wildlife and local rcmp. Both stated that charges could be laid for interferring and disturbing a hunt. I gave the rcmp the vehicle license # and this fellow was contacted and sternly warned by rcmp, stating next time he would be charged. Honking, driving through fields, driving on your own property to disturb a hunter on other property, are grounds for charges. So as hunters, we do have rights.

7mm08
05-03-2012, 05:22 PM

I do the same. One never knows if land has been sold...or more land acquired by the person who gives permission, or if someone else has been given permission. And every year around Christmas, I pop in with a card and some sweets ( or a package of venison for those who enjoy it) to show my thanks.

Nait Hadya
05-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Has anybody ever interefered with your hunt?

Yes, repeatedly. Something as simples as a few minutes delay could be considered as interfering, as it may result in a lost opportunity.

gitrdun
05-03-2012, 05:34 PM
10 years ago and you're still fuming over it? Best advise I can provide is that you let it go and move on, else you're likely headed for blood pressure issues as you grow older :)

Dunezilla
05-03-2012, 06:03 PM
It happens to me almost each year, but for the most part it is not intentional.

Actually some of what goes on is rather foolish. Last year I walked into the trees & there was this SUV with some males in there that saw me go into the woods, 15 minutes later they were target shooting in the same bush I was walking in. I came out about 700 yards from where they were but they were already in the vehicle & driving away. The target was already there and it had two holes in it before they got there, after that it had 5 more holes in it....but before I got to that spot a pickup drove in & stopped, got out & looked down the cut line (with me in it)with a rifle scope.

That happens (someone looking threw a rifle scope) to me at least once a year.

Lefty-Canuck
05-03-2012, 06:55 PM
I was putting a spot and stalk on a moose with my bow a few years ago....when another bow hunter was putting around on a quad before noon....totally blew my hunt.

We had words....he went to his truck and parked his quad and started walking like I was....was pretty frustrating.

LC

Icon
05-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Last year it happened to me.

I got up extra early and got the truck all packed up. Made a light breakfast for my son and I (cleaned up too!). Just as we were going out the door, my wife said, "Where do you think you two are going?"

Damn!

Seems I forgot about some commitment. I wonder if I should have played the "you can't interfere in a legally conducted hunt" card...

Lady Bowhunter
05-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Last year I got my blind all set up on some good trails. Sat for a few days and didn't see anything that was peaking my interest. One afternoon I decided to go check out the rub activity and seen a monster rub! I was the nastiest one I've ever seen almost unreal. So as I glaze around I see a ground blind that was not there the day before. What the heck?? Sure enough this guy set up probably 500 yards away from where I've been! So I think well if he doesn't know I am here I surely don't need him shooting in my direction an taking me out! So I pull out and as I am walking down the trail to pack out I see a fresh set of boot tracks that again were not there before! Well sure enough these guys had me circled with out even knowing I was around. I met them at my truck and asked where they were set up and sure enough they were the ones.

Now what I do if I'm scoping out a new spot and see vehicles I leave notes on the windshield saying I was looking into this area as well and don't want to cross paths with other hunters. I leave my number.

So that was last years hunt that got spoiled! I look forward to this year!

yoteblaster
05-03-2012, 08:04 PM
I have actually had people I have come across while hunting ask me if I have permission to hunt here. I replied yes, by the owner who happens to be me. They are then shown the gate! Unreal.

tysonlazo2
05-03-2012, 08:11 PM
two years ago i was 15 and me and my grandparents and some hunting buddies where out for a cow moose and what to my suprise a truck pull up and who elles to jump out Cody kassidy and some buddys they hoped out and yelled "Where Gonna Shoot The Bull" a guy get up into the box of the truck ( i know illegal) and shoot the Bull moose at the top of the ridge after we has been waiting for the female to get across the river so we wouldent have to swim tried report but no proof :l

bubba300
05-03-2012, 08:55 PM
A friend of mine was hunting ducks on a small pond with decoy,s when a truck pulls up and 2 young guy's empty there guns on his decoy's, he stood up and started yelling at them and they jumped back in there truck and took off. Not sure if it was a B S story or not but made me chuckle.

newell
05-03-2012, 09:49 PM
I had a co come down to the edge of the lake where I was waiting for the geese to come off there roost he asked for my license and I was choked that he may ruin my one chance as I was fumbling through my pack a group of geese was coming over top and I did not see them he quickly sad get down get down and I looked over jumped up dropped two of them he said great shooting looked at my paper work and moved on he also had the courtesy to park behind a hill about 200 yards away
That was a good end to a frustrating situation

bessiedog
05-03-2012, 11:08 PM
I've had it happen too many times!
Me and a buddy hiked an hour along a ridge by 7 gates to get the jump on a huge herd of elk, we both had cow tags..
These two other guys park right by our truck... Zip right down the valley to try and beat us there.
My buddy and I are belly crawling into range when these two yahoos open up on the entire herd. No animals drop, at least three were hit.

We hiked down and caught up to them. I tore them a new one.

Then went back to our truck and reported them.

My buddy never filled his tag that year! Argh!!

BUCKMASTER7MMMAG.
05-04-2012, 08:21 AM
me and my dad got a tag for archery moose, went four hours out of our way(an extra two we had alredy travled) to get to a zone and hunt. We parcked on the roand(gravle) walked a bit down it then wenty for a oong walk in. we found a nice dig(scrape) so wee set up, lit a scent stick and he went to work calling. all went well especially when you could here a bull coming to are call!!
at about sixty yards he was just out of site, my dad got redy.....BANG!:mad0100: so donkey(use other name for mule)***** indian shot the fricken thing with a 300 mag when it was 60 yrds from us and then idiot was shooting directly at us. if it had kissed it might have hit one of us.:angry3:
to make it even worse the next day we found he only took the "fine pick" of the meat and wasted the rest*##%#:argue2:

Donkey Oatey
05-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Had it happen to my Dad and I south west of Rocky. Hunting moose near the last day of the season. See two bulls down a power line and start putting the stalk on. The road runs parallel to the power line then turns away. The moose were down the power line. Couple of donkeys in a truck saw us, saw the moose, started spinning their tires and honking the horn. Moose gone, truck gone, hunting season gone. That sucked.

I worked with a District F&W Officer years ago and he had a really good one. Their hunting party was set up for snows and had a fairly successful shoot when a truck came barreling up to them and a local guide got out and started yelling and screaming at them about not having permission and that he had exclusive permission. The Officer took him aside, showed him his badge and asked for the story again. Needless to say the guide didn't have permission and was harassing all the hunters in the area. He didn't do that again.

Jamie Black R/T
05-04-2012, 09:10 AM
just last september i had a quad hunter roll up on me before noon as we had a bull elk coming in hard...he ruined our chances at that bull and was completely clueless how close he was to us and to the bull....we let him drive away without a word spoken and ended up killing a bull 40 yards away about 30 minutes later....he was reported but i never did hear any followup.

A friend of mine was hunting ducks on a small pond with decoy,s when a truck pulls up and 2 young guy's empty there guns on his decoy's, he stood up and started yelling at them and they jumped back in there truck and took off. Not sure if it was a B S story or not but made me chuckle.

Friend of mine told me a similar story...except him and another friend were the shooters...and it was on his family land with exclusive permission....he said they bellycrawled the last bit to the pothole full of greenheads and when ready to jump up and shoot they realized it was a trespassers decoy spread....so they played stupid and blasted them anyway...reloading once even LOL could be mostly BS as well tbh but gave me a laugh.

DAVE
05-04-2012, 09:26 AM
I have actually had people I have come across while hunting ask me if I have permission to hunt here. I replied yes, by the owner who happens to be me. They are then shown the gate! Unreal.

X2 lol. About 2 times a year

Marko
05-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Happened to me and my dad also. Down in cypress hills, prob 97'/98', we were driving around, scouting for sign, when we see a herd of about 15-20 animals, so we are glassing them, when this pink ford crew cab, with 3 yahoos in it, and get out and start grassing beside us! Elk spook and take off, as we roll by by them, my dad says " real classy guys!". And we are met with a " go **** yourself!". So we have a laugh and drive away. Well the next day, we see them pulling up behind us while we are driving to a new position, So my dad tells me he's gonna hit the brakes hard, and I was to bail outta the truck with the rifle to the ditch, as if we had just seen something! So he hits the brakes, and I bail out, gun in hand, and run to the ridge in the ditch, and start scoping the tree line. Well these guys see this all happen, race up behind us, hit the brakes, and all 3 guys pile outta the truck like clowns at a circus, and start grassing with their scopes, trying to find out what we had seen! I run back to the truck, get in and we drive away, almost in tears, because we are laughing so hard! It's just one of those memories a guy will die with!! The look on those guys faces was absolutely priceless!!
Ps we got a very nice 6x6 bull elk on the last morn!

pipelinr
05-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Had been in my tree stand in 337all day,no luck last day of bow season so I packed it up and headed back to the truck.I was on my way out when a bull moose walked out onto the old lease road about 200 yards ahead of me.So i stopped the truck grabbed my bow to put a stalk on him,he had walked about 150 yards farther west of where i had first seen him come out.I had to cross a old oil road to get close to him as i was about 45yrds away, a truck pulls down the road and right next to me and asks me and i quote"He hows it going what are you up to"!!!! I said I was trying to get that moose the one over there running away!!!! They were out scouting for rifle season and had not been in the area before.So i asked "do you always wait for the day before todo your scouting?"Couple of clowns with no hunting etiquette.Oh Well there is always this year!!!!!:angry3:

Marko
05-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Another time, me and a friend were bow hunting for elk on crown land, in 334, so we park on the trail in( blocking it, to keep guys from driving trucks in), and walk a mile and a half in, getting good responses from a heavy rut 4x4 bull elk. Then we hear putt,putt,putt...... Look up the trail we walked in on, and here comes this guy with his wife on the back of the quad, carrying a 12ga. Rides right up to us and tells us how he said to his wife " hope this guy isnt hunting in here." as he drives his quad through the trees to get around my truck. So i explain how we are on a herd of elk, and are close! Then proceeds to say, "well maybe I'll scare them back to you." and drives off down the trail! I was just in shock! So needless to say, all action died off, and we had a long (and heated) rant on the way back. But it is crown land! Lol:argue2::angry3:

bang_on_sk
05-04-2012, 02:06 PM
I've interferred in a hunt completely by accident once. I was working as a geologist in Northern Ontario on some private land, we were out quadding to the work site and stopped for a smoke. We didn't see the guy in a strap-on tree stand above us archery hunting for moose, all in camo, but he saw us and scared the living daylights out of me. I felt pretty bad, but not much to be done about it.

Lefty-Canuck
05-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Marko.....you might want to reconsider blocking crown land trails. If an oil field or seizmic crew needed access to the line you parked accross, you might not have been happy with the shape you found your truck in after they "displaced" it for access....just saying.

Pulling off to the side while allowing access to the trail is the right thing to do.

1. it doesn't block access in case of emergency
2. it is still an indication that someone is down there and the ethical guys will carry on and leave you be.

LC

Marko
05-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Lefty, thanks for the heads up. It was more of an old, over - grown quad trail, not active at all. But I completely understand where you are coming from. Thanks

nekred
05-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Yes blocking a trail on crown land... what if soemone was already further down it and could not get out....

I had somneone continually park in my reserved (paid) spot at school so one day I decided to provide free towing service and dragged them out of the spot...It was in gear with e-brake on so it skidded tires... of course it would be irresponsible fo me to leave it where it would block someone lse in so I towed it 100 yards to where it could be left on its own away from other vehicles...

To me that is not really interefering with your hunt as intereference usually indicates intent... Sometimes stuff happens I was walking down a trail going to a lcik making sure I was downwind and as I got towards lick... saw someone walking into lick on upwind side... crown land and while we met up and had friendly chat... hi how are you kind of thing and found out what his plans were so that I could hunt without conflict and actually use him to help my hunt.. and shared my infor with him to let each of us stay out of each other's way...

to me interference is like hockey... there has to be intent...