PDA

View Full Version : LEGAL or NOT

lippy
03-23-2008, 03:44 PM
I saw a fellow in a campground potting gophers with his compound bow the other day. The only thing is the campground is within the town limits. Is a bow still considered a Firearm? Just wondering ..and some thoughts on it.:)

Islander
03-23-2008, 04:33 PM
I think that there is some kind of bylaw prohibiting projectiles in (Calgary) city limits, but I am by no means an expert on rules and regs. Does seem a little dangerous if theres people nearby though.

mud slug
03-23-2008, 04:36 PM
if i remember corectly anything under 300 feet per second is ok with in city limits.

CNP
03-23-2008, 07:56 PM
It would be in the munical by-laws.....if there is anything at all that talks about bows. Most places don't include any mention of bows in their by-laws.

catnthehat
03-23-2008, 08:18 PM
We have a municipal bylaw prihibiting bows or firearms of any type within town limits.
The Co's are pretty lenient about bowhunting, but if they got a call the RCMP would charger you for sure....
Cat

grandslamer
03-23-2008, 08:52 PM
definatly not in edmonton ..i got nailed for the samething in 95 and got 350.00
fine in a park there is no hunting or wepon discharge allowed

7 REM MAG
03-23-2008, 11:20 PM
i dont really see it as a big deal part of the edomnton bow zone is inside city the limits of edmonton, leduc and nisku

Hoochie Papa
03-24-2008, 07:36 AM
If the outdoorsmen here are debating the fact, then I guarantee the rest of the public won't be. If people drove by and saw that, they would be on the phone right away, and you would be visited by some type of an official. If it is legal, the hassle of the fight would very much outweigh the enjoyment of slaying a few guffers.

ULTRAlite
03-24-2008, 11:29 AM
For Calgary.....

http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/cityclerks/20M2003.pdf#page=4

21. No Person, while in a Park, shall:

(c) engage in any form of archery;

Bylaw 20M2003

JohninAB
03-24-2008, 04:31 PM
I thot discharging a weapon of any sort in a designated park was illegal.

grandslamer
03-24-2008, 04:34 PM
it is and also illegal also on any city owned property

russ
03-24-2008, 06:30 PM
This is a situation that's probably covered by Municipal bylaws. That means it's going to be different for each jurisdiction. EG, a town may have a firearms prohibition for a park while the county or MD that it's contained may not.

mud slug
03-24-2008, 06:38 PM
i practice with my bow in the field by my house all the time, and i live in the middle of millwoods never had a problem. had the city police come out once last year. saw that i had a half dozen hay bails for a back stop wasn't shooting towards any homes, talked to me for a couple minutes and left.

CNP
03-24-2008, 07:07 PM
The truth of the matter is..................we cannot answer the question. We don't know where Lippy is talking about and we do not know if the campground in question is a Provincial Park/Rec Area, Municipal/Private campground....etc, etc, etc.

Where are you Lippy? Wherever you are...you get the idea? Look in the By-Laws for the municpality.

grandslamer
03-24-2008, 07:55 PM
i practice with my bow in the field by my house all the time, and i live in the middle of millwoods never had a problem. had the city police come out once last year. saw that i had a half dozen hay bails for a back stop wasn't shooting towards any homes, talked to me for a couple minutes and left.

you got lucky you got a cop that used common sense when he used his officers descrection .. but you were breaking the law in the city of edmonton
where in my case the cop was of theother opinion an ticked me