PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Emergers

cmcclung
05-03-2012, 02:18 PM
I have what might seem like a stupid question, but here it is. I have been flyfishing for a couple years and am very confused on how to fish emergers. I guess my main question is at what depth are they typically fished. I ask this because some are weighted and others appear to be tied to sit in the film. For the ones that are weighted do you fish them dead drift or twitch them toward the surface? I am so confused. I have read that during a hatch the fish are usually taking the emergers but with so many different patterns I am confused on how to fish them. Thanks for any help.

ÜberFly
05-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Depends...

If the fish seem like they are rising for dries and I've "matched the hatch" with the adult dry pattern and haven't been getting any hits, then I fish the equivilent emerging pattern (or even nymph) in the film or just below the surface dry fly style (after downsizing both fly and tippet)... You can also nymph using dry/dropper.... or nymph with/without an indi...

P

pipercub17
05-03-2012, 03:03 PM
most emergers are fished at the surface film at a dead drift .
and if they sink a lil thats ok
i use a strike indicator because sometimes you dont always see when they hit it

AbAngler
05-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Just a wee bit below the surface is ideal. This is where polarized glasses sure help.

Fisher_man#1
05-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Like the rest have already said mainly just under the surface.

Check out this video on how to fish emerging pupa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbUFUMwgqWo&feature=relmfu

the technique starts at 2:43 or watch the whole clip to learn more about the life cycle of midges.

Cheers,

commieboy
05-03-2012, 05:30 PM
When I fish emerger patterns under the surface I will use treated indicator yarn. Hopper dropper is fun, but sometimes I really enjoy casting a single bug, and though thingamabobbers are my go to for nymphing, a small piece of treated indicator yarn tied into the leader via a slip knot is what I use for emergers. It's almost like dry fly fishing!

The other advantage of the yarn/slipknot is that you can tie it to even the thinnest portion of the tippet, inches away from the fly. I find this fish are often put off by the big indicators.

I like threads like this with good content being answered in a positive way.

Thanks for posting a good question.

cmcclung
05-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Thank you for all the advice. I love that video to. I have been watching all the ones in that series. Very informative. Thanks for the help. I am excited to get out and practice some of these tips.