PDA

View Full Version : transom saver help

pelada trochu
05-03-2012, 06:18 PM
if you run your boat across town to the launch 3 times a week, about 2 miles.
do you need a transom saver. are they only needed for highway use or am i piling on the wear and tear now a little at a time.

i usually just trim up and set it down on the lock tab.

The Fisherman Guy
05-03-2012, 06:25 PM
How bumpy is the ride from home to the launch? If the motor is bouncing on the lock tab, it is causing unnecessary strain on the transom. I didn't like how the motor bounced on the lock tab, so I picked up a transom saver from BPS for $40. It has so far eliminated any and all bouncing of the motor in transport, and takes the strain off of the transom, and disperses the energy into the trailer.

Well worth the money in my opinion. Optically, when you sell the boat and a potential buyer sees a transom saver on the motor, it shows pride of ownership.

JMHO!

Lambo
05-03-2012, 08:28 PM
If your transom is in good condition and not rotted and you're not exceeding the boat's maximum motor size, I don't think you need one. Boat manufactures design and build their transoms to more than support the dead weight and dynamic load from the motor. Also, when you put your motor up on the factory lock tab, it should be perfectly balanced so there should be not torque load on the transom. I've owned boats for 20 years and never used a transom saver and never had any issues with my transom. JMHO.

TJG
05-04-2012, 03:03 PM
How bumpy is the ride from home to the launch? If the motor is bouncing on the lock tab, it is causing unnecessary strain on the transom. I didn't like how the motor bounced on the lock tab, so I picked up a transom saver from BPS for $40. It has so far eliminated any and all bouncing of the motor in transport, and takes the strain off of the transom, and disperses the energy into the trailer.

Well worth the money in my opinion. Optically, when you sell the boat and a potential buyer sees a transom saver on the motor, it shows pride of ownership.

JMHO!

X2!

TROLLER
05-04-2012, 05:09 PM
If your transom is in good condition and not rotted and you're not exceeding the boat's maximum motor size, I don't think you need one. Boat manufactures design and build their transoms to more than support the dead weight and dynamic load from the motor. Also, when you put your motor up on the factory lock tab, it should be perfectly balanced so there should be not torque load on the transom. I've owned boats for 20 years and never used a transom saver and never had any issues with my transom. JMHO.

X2 Never had an issue.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-04-2012, 05:22 PM
X2!

X 3 , Hell My boat I just bought came with one , so I figure probably something would want if it came with one .

fish_fan
05-04-2012, 10:06 PM
The lock tab puts a large lever moment on the bearings on your mount. Fulcrum. A transom saver increases the moment saving the bearings. But your trim motor is still in there so you have to gently preload down on it and now you have 3points working to support the motor. At least that's how I understand it. Gently