PDA

View Full Version : Best Spoons for Rainbow Trout? (and other fish)

spaghetti
05-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Had a big, big, day today!
Caught my first fish of the year: PIKE, 31cm, Third Carburn Park pond, 5 of diamonds spoon (yellow with red spot.)

The 5 of diamons spoon never fails to land me atleast 1 pike and it's got me to thinking.

Can I spoon fish for other fish? Specifically Rainbows and Perch if you guys are willing to humor a juvenile fisherman such as myself?

((On a side note, do you guys know any good places to fish for Rainbows? Or should I just keep to Carburn Park?? I'd really like to expand my fishing horizons!))

cujo1969
05-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Just need various sizes of the 5 of diamond spoon and can catch anything

Lambo
05-03-2012, 11:15 PM
small white spoon with red stripe (reverse of red devil) works for me when fishing for trout

spaghetti
05-03-2012, 11:18 PM

What, really?

Because I already had a pretty high regaurd for the 5 of diamonds, but I didn't know it could do EVERYTHING.

The Fisherman Guy
05-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Panther Martin spinners work well on rainbows in clear water.

I have caught many rainbows on a small brown trout floating rapala, in rivers and lakes.

If you want to try fishing a different lake, with Rainbows, Browns and Pike - the Glenmore Reservoir.

tacklerunner
05-03-2012, 11:31 PM
Per the title of the thread, Best Spoon for Rainbow Trout...

Kamplooper: Orange and Gold with black dots (the ladybug)

Not necessarily the best lure or presentation under certain circumstances but the best 'spoon' IMHO. Slow, medium or sporatic retrieve casting or trolling.

BeeGuy
05-04-2012, 12:22 AM
My favorite spoon is the little cleo.

The Krocodile is also an excellent choice.

In various colours and sizes these spoons will catch most species of piscivorous fish.

I've also come to like lucky strike "lizard" spoons for large aggressive fish.

blue fox vibrax spinners are another good choice.

HunterDave
05-04-2012, 12:54 AM
My favorite spoon is the little cleo.

The Krocodile is also an excellent choice.

In various colours and sizes these spoons will catch most species of piscivorous fish.

x2 Little cleos (different colours in silver or gold) and Kroc's are my number one go to spoons for trout. Panther Martin spinners are nice small lures to chuck as well.....Mepps for distance. If I'm trolling, nothing beats a willow branch and a worm though.

I've never caught one of those piscivorous fish but I've done okay catching trout. :)

genoel
05-04-2012, 03:39 AM
5 of diamonds is an excellent choice. I personally have caught pike, walleye, perch, lake trout, brown trout, bull trout, cutthroats, rainbows, brookies (sorry, I got tired of typing trout), rockies and graying on a 5 of diamonds. As previously stated, vary the sizes and you can catch pretty much anything on them, but then it seems that some days, you can't catch anything on them. That's fishing. Good luck!

lone wolf
05-04-2012, 06:35 AM
My "go to" hardware for the trout family has always been various sizes and styles of Mepps spinners. I have caught atlantic salmon, sea trout, rainbows, browns, cuts & brookies with them over the years.

marlin1
05-04-2012, 06:52 AM
I've got some nice trout on the old 5 of diamonds bit prefer a vibrax spinner for trout

BigIrv
05-04-2012, 06:54 AM
I have caught more rainbows on a small Lenny platinum silver and blue than any other lure or fly!
Best trout spoon there is! I always take my ultralight spining gear with my fly gear as you never know what they want to eat today.

spaghetti
05-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Well this is all rather encouraging to be honest.

I'm a much better Bobber and Spoon fisherman then a fly fisherman.

I've caught every single fish so far on spoons- I almost think I'm cheating. I really do appreciate the advice.

Redneck Renagade
05-04-2012, 03:04 PM

X2. If all else fails I bring out the trusty 5 of diamonds and it always produces for almost everything

Badgoodguy
05-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Best for trolling a lake is a wobbler and 3 or 4 feet of line and then a hook or fly. Silver for Rainbows and Gold for Brookies.

Cal
05-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Personaly I stick to Len Thompson spoons as much as possible. I find they can be retrieved at a much wider range of speeds without spinning than most spoons. A spinning spoon will still catch fish but it twists up your line.

Best colors for trout, as well as pretty much anything else have been: Five of diamonds and black diamonds, red and white as well as orange and white and black and white, silver and blue, orange and brass, plain brass, and firetiger. For trout though your going to want to have some small spinners too, these will often outproduce spoons under many situations.

Dust1n
05-04-2012, 06:31 PM
gibbs minnows-silver with a blue strip it Will catch anything and everything except i cant find those spoons anywhere now

Woody_16
05-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Have to agree with what everyone else is saying..

Len Thompson spoons (small - 1/5oz to 1/4oz usually)

Red & White
5 of Diamonds
Firetiger
Rainbow Trout
Hammered Perch

If those aren't working, then the mepps, vibrax, etc spinners come out and if I still don't have a fish, something is wrong (if you aren't fly or bait fishing obviously).

Spoons are good for everything.. trout, pike, walleye, etc.

Geezle
05-05-2012, 12:28 AM
I've found Fiord spoons work really well for trout, and also for goldeye in the NSR :)

slivers86
05-05-2012, 01:30 AM
I've found a new spoon that works wonders... chubb you might be able to help out with names, as I threw the packaging out already...

They are at TFH right now on sale 40% off.... can literally grab 2 years worth of spoons for 40$

red devil was best pattern... nearly a hit on every cast at angry little pike

ruttnbuckcojack
05-05-2012, 06:01 AM
Check out Hofer hooks, An Albertan makes them, there tryed tested and proven, Sold at Murf's in Sundre, Try'em and tell the next guy, You'll be impressed