PDA

View Full Version : Flylines...

silverdoctor
05-03-2012, 11:53 PM
I know, ask 20 flyfisherman a question and you'll get 20 different answers.

I'm running a 5 wt Cortland 444 right now, it's in rough shape, bout a year or so old. Think fishing early spring with the ice on the guides did it in, it's got circular crack all through.

So? What's everyone else using? And how do you like it?

Edit: Oops, wrong forum, can a mod move to the fishing section? Thanks.

pikergolf
05-04-2012, 12:13 AM
I wonder how old some of these lines are, that seems to be fast. I hope it's not indicative of all their lines, I just bought two. I have a Cabela's Intermediate line, it's a little stiff for cold water but man does that thing cast. The reason I bought that line is that it had the longest WF body of all the intermediate lines that I could find. I lost my 5wt SA Lefty Kreh line along with a reel, really liked it but only had it for half a year. Switched to a 6wt and 4wt from 5wt this year, so lost a 5wt and sold one. I just had my 444 SL 6wt floating out today, cast nice in a heavy wind but I think it's a distance line not much for finesse.

fishstix
05-04-2012, 06:55 AM
I use cortland 444 fly line as well. I found that the most you can get out of it is probably 2 years. I change it up every year anyways. I guess the best way to keep it in good shape is too keep it clean. That being said I have never cleaned my line more then running some clean water across it when I get home.

fish gunner
05-04-2012, 07:31 AM
air flow lines last a very long time if looked after. I have a sink tip that was 10-15 yrs old in the box when I purchased it and have been fishing with it for at least five yrs. ten dollars for a line that cost 80 odd $ when new.

ÜberFly
05-04-2012, 07:31 AM
Take it back to where you bought it (hopefully you or they have the record of purchase - receipt or in their database). Not sure of Cortland's specific warrantee, but if its like SA or Rio I would suspect that they will repalce it?! Should be able to get longer then a year from a fly line...

P

bbbyro
05-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Rio Gold trout line. More expensive but well worth it.
I've been running it on my 6Wt for 3 seasons. i god 4 out of my last line and replaced it only because the forward weight was almost all cut off. cleaning your line at least twice a year helps.
That line casts smooth and works in cold water. its the best

ReconWilly
05-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Cheap fly line is like cheap tires, you wouldn't throw retreads on a new sports car and you shouldn't be using cheap fly line on a nice stik(not bashing cortland) Rio gold will not dissapoint you. And a little maintenance and tlc will go along way.

TheLegend
05-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Scientific Anglers Mastery series, Textured Mastery series and Sharkskin series are top of the line. Excellent quality. I have had mine for 4 years now and it has seen some rough use and it still works like new.

jeprli
05-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Give royal wulff TT a try. My first "exPensive" fly line and my favorite for any condition. Very low memory if any. I bought other lines like rio, sa, snowbee and although they all work fine i find royal wulff to be most rewarding from casters point of view, i should say my point of view.

wetdream
05-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Rio Gold trout line. More expensive but well worth it.
I've been running it on my 6Wt for 3 seasons. i god 4 out of my last line and replaced it only because the forward weight was almost all cut off. cleaning your line at least twice a year helps.
That line casts smooth and works in cold water. its the best

x2

pipercub17
05-04-2012, 03:41 PM
rio all the way best line out there period !
any of the textured lines are garbage they get dirty faster and do damage to rods and guides .

Darren N
05-04-2012, 03:48 PM
I had a Cortland series to start and thought nothing of it ( seems fine). Next line I bought was the Rio Grande and it automatically gave me another 10 yards (believe me I need it). It just wore out after 4 years and I switched up to Rio Gold for the heck of it. Havent used it enough to see if I like it better.

slingshotz
05-04-2012, 03:51 PM
I've tried a lot of different lines over the years, I've converted all my reels to Rio Gold. My Spey reel has Rio Spey Versitip but I just put it on so can't vouch long term for it. Rio makes awesome lines and well worth the extra cost IMO.

24/7 fishing
05-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Airflow!!

gilbertslake
05-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Scientific Anglers Mastery series, Textured Mastery series and Sharkskin series are top of the line. Excellent quality. I have had mine for 4 years now and it has seen some rough use and it still works like new.

I have three Mastery lines and really like them. Bought one last summer at Bud Lilly's in West Yellowstone as they had a good price on them.

I also have a couple Rio Windcutters that I like just as much

Cortland 444 has no appeal to me, I find it too stiff especially on colder days, but the 444SL is a much better line than the 444 IMHO, too me it has a much better feel and shoots better.

Dust1n
05-04-2012, 06:29 PM
I run Hobbs creek on my 4wt and its been good to me for 3 seasons, I might change it this season when it starts to get rough or crack. I run Airflo Ridge on my 6wt and I think its decent but not worth the money, I just dont think it preforms for what you pay for. My next line is the RioGold it seems like it has good reviews.
Ps:The sage line is crap never get it! on the 5/6wt it lasted only half of the fly season then it started to crack on the tip for the first 12 feet. The guy at BPS wanted to sell me it being they were having a clearance for it but i will never be burned off that again.

silverdoctor
05-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Good to know... Have to replace it before my next outing...

Doc
05-04-2012, 09:45 PM
I was a Cortland guy as well and kept having the same problem with premature line wear/cracking. I've changed over all my lines to Rio. Very happy with their product.

bobalong
05-04-2012, 11:18 PM

I like the Sharkskin as well, have it on all my reels except one.