PDA

View Full Version : Canals and the creeks that flow between them

slivers86
05-04-2012, 03:20 PM
So just wondering for all you prarie lovers.

The canal system seems to be linked together with a ton of creeks which flow quite well. Question is, with the fluctuating water levels, do these creeks hold fish??? wont get into names or anything, just a general though. The one I seen recently looked like it had decent depth to it, and was flowing nicely through a grazing area of a farm (probably wouldn't eat anything out of this creek)...

just a spinning mind in my head :) :bad_boys_20:

uplander
05-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Sometimes when im hunting in the southern part of the province near the canals i notice suckers of decent size hanging out in them but aparently alot of canals that connect lakes and ponds can have perch,pike,whitefish even trout in some so if it has a connection to a lake with fish theres a good chance it will hold fish.

Mariko's Rod
05-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Sometimes when im hunting in the southern part of the province near the canals i notice suckers of decent size hanging out in them but aparently alot of canals that connect lakes and ponds can have perch,pike,whitefish even trout in some so if it has a connection to a lake with fish theres a good chance it will hold fish.

I think those are probably whitefish you are seeing.

WayneChristie
05-04-2012, 05:25 PM
I think those are probably whitefish you are seeing.

see some of pretty much every sort of fish in the canals. just not a lot

slivers86
05-05-2012, 12:54 AM
what regs apply to canals? I've noticed that 'sections' are listed in some regs, but for the rest of them, are they just zone general regs?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-05-2012, 01:06 AM
I think its general regulations unless they are named . But Keep in mind some of these are Private property and are listed no fishing , be aware of your surroundings , In recent memory Someone from this forum was caught for disregarding these signs and had a little visit from the men in green .

slivers86
05-05-2012, 01:08 AM
I'm not so worried about the canal itself, but a nice little creek flowing past a highway, that seems to link between a couple. If anyone is familiar with some prarie creeks north east of the city, shoot me a PM, as I have a great question for you :)

Mariko's Rod
05-05-2012, 08:44 AM
see some of pretty much every sort of fish in the canals. just not a lot

True, but Ive seen alot of schools of whites around pinch points and culverts but never suckers.

TROLLER
05-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Was fishing the irrigation canals for years as a kid and still do from time to time

Best place is usually right at or close to where the lake runs into it. Problem is most the pike are not in the legal size range. Also have caught walleye on many occasions as a kid.