PDA

View Full Version : Deaths caused by wading?

pikergolf
05-05-2012, 12:57 AM
Was wading a local lake and the bottom is really soft but banks are generally steep. First few feet are alright but anything over the knees you start sinking. Anyway, I was about knee deep on what I thought was fairly firm and when I went to move I almost ended up falling face first in the water with my feet stuck up to my ankles in clay. Took me a while to worm my way out, I am new to the wading game so lesson learned, but it could have been nasty as I'm sure I would not have been able to push myself up as the bottom was softer out in front of me. So my question is has there been any wading deaths that any of you know of.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-05-2012, 01:04 AM
I dont think it would be the death by wading , more like exposure , or hypothermia , Water is still cold yet , all though it is warming but Sheesh unless you know the grounds solid Id stick to Shore fishing . But thats my opinion , and Opinions are like buttholes we all got em .

pikergolf
05-05-2012, 01:23 AM
I think it's a matter of learning, the one lake I fish I expected the bottom to be very soft and it was like walking on a concrete. The second lake actually has a fair bit of gravel in it but it's untrustworthy. As for dying I'm thinking drowning, an older person, or a person subject to severe cramps when muscles are under duress as I am I could see being in trouble in the scenario I was in. My feet were stuck and weren't going to come out if i fell. I will be far more conscious and am thinking about a wading staff. I'm at kind of a funny place in life, young enough to still want to experience new things, but the body is definantly what it used to be.

slivers86
05-05-2012, 01:24 AM
similar experience yesterday at lake q, waded out a foot too far, and bam. stuck in clay... had to be the 'wiggle man' and work my way out... but damn was wading worth it... would get stuck again in a heart beet... found out those pike couldn't see me, as the clay was making the water murky around my legs... they'd swim RIGHT UP TO ME following the spoon, and stay there... made me laugh, and get very excited when they took my spoons 5 feet away from me... almost as excited as a dry fly hit.

silverdoctor
05-05-2012, 01:31 AM
Came close a few times, either in mud or falling into a hole that you didn't expect, waders fill with water and the panic sets in.

At hasse lake a few years ago, I blew up my float tube and decided to launch away from the beach. Big mistake, I stepped off the bank and into the water and ended up one leg stuck up to my thigh in mud and i'm face down in the water with the other leg on the bank. Yeah, figure that one out.

People say not to panic, but it's hard not to.

demolition101
05-05-2012, 06:19 AM
Used to fly fish the grand river in ON. Heard of a few deaths there of guys tripping or wading too deep and the river sucking them under. Have to be careful, if those waders fill up with water, you become a big wind sock. Safe fishing :)

gunned
05-05-2012, 06:40 AM
I heard of a guy down in Fernie whose waders filled up with water while fishing a creek. He was pulled under and couldn't get himself to safety...

Lefty-Canuck
05-05-2012, 07:47 AM
WEAR YOUR WADING BELT....

This could be the difference between head above water and head under water.....especially in flowing waters.

Another thing about wading in certain "flats" is you may find a way out there fishing the whole time not paying attention and then start moving parallel to the shore. If the depth is varying then you have to try and remember your route....I have been caught doing this once or twice where the water is only a few cms from the top of my waders....when you get in that deep you can't see the bottom either, a little bit nerve wracking. Because the depth is up and down you can't just walk a straight line back to shore.....

LC

gl2
05-05-2012, 09:41 AM
I did a coupe trips last year that went well into the night and i had to cross the highwood in the pitch black, was pretty unnerving. but if you plan ahead and know the water you are fishing then you can take some of the risk out of the situation. like another poster already said make sure your belt is done up tight, it has save me from at least complete wetness on a couple occasions. if you don't know the water then i will always check the bottom with a tree branch or stick if questionable, but hey i am a bigger guy and knee deep in mud could be crotch deep for others....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

gilbertslake
05-05-2012, 09:45 AM
this is a good short youtube video on chest wader usage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBvXDBQdFLg

I have fallen down a couple times with chest waders and used the float technique by turning on my back and kicking my legs to the surface.
As I had a wading belt on, the air was trapped in the wader legs and I was able to back paddle my way to the shore. Both times I was in less than 3 foot of water and the fall was caused by using felt soles on a muddy bottom................my stupid.

Mariko's Rod
05-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Its a lesson you have to learn when youre young. If you push the envelope and go a little too far you get a "boot full" and get grounded.

If you dont learn that lesson the price is alot higher when you wander out with hip waders on.

FishingForLife
05-05-2012, 10:12 AM
this is a good short youtube video on chest wader usage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBvXDBQdFLg

I have fallen down a couple times with chest waders and used the float technique by turning on my back and kicking my legs to the surface.
As I had a wading belt on, the air was trapped in the wader legs and I was able to back paddle my way to the shore. Both times I was in less than 3 foot of water and the fall was caused by using felt soles on a muddy bottom................my stupid.

Good video!

tacklerunner
05-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Been there too. Sure does get the heart pumping. Lesson learned.

waterninja
05-05-2012, 12:38 PM
about ten years ago i was doing a job in houston b.c. and thats when i started river fishing. one of the locals was nice enough to give me a neoprene chest wader he was no longer using. like the newbe i was i would walk out in the river waist high or higher. one day i asked another angler why he had a belt strapped around his chest and thats when i found out how important a WADERS BELT is. one person had already drowned that year. if you slip or step in a hole it only takes seconds for your waders to fill and then your in serious trouble.

DiabeticKripple
05-05-2012, 12:45 PM
this is my first year of wading, and i never really considered falling. i only have hip waders and rarely go past my knees.

reading all this has scared me a bit. i better be more careful

ReconWilly
05-05-2012, 02:08 PM
I've never met a soul as tough as nature, be prepared, be aware of your surroundings at all times, and never move your next foot until your last foot is firmly planted, 1 foot at a time and never move too fast in new or unfamiliar water, consciously be aware of exit strategies as you move through the water, i know people who have lost loved ones, its not worth any fish at that cost.

Lornce
05-05-2012, 04:12 PM
I always carry a wading staff, it really makes a difference for stability.

pipercub17
05-05-2012, 08:01 PM
I always carry a knife I if I ever have to cut my waders if they fill with water

Toirtis
05-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Not recently or locally, no.

I dont think it would be the death by wading , more like exposure , or hypothermia ,

This is an excellent point...getting soaked in cold water, and then into cool/cold air, with perhaps a 45-60 minute hike back to warmth (especially if tired from fighting a current to shore) could easily prove deadly. Plan carefully when fishing under such conditions....carry a wet-proof flint set.

biggamehunter
05-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Was up to my shoulders today at struble lake. Had to get to a beaver dam to stand on top of. It payed off as i cought a few bows off of it. Some advice would be is to keep your valubles such as a phone, camera, or wallet someplace on shore you dont need them getting wet. Most lakes will look shallow but once you sink a few feet down it suddenly becomes clear that you shouldnt just judge your depth by sight. You just gotta take it easy and feel your way around through that sinking mud. Luckily fh7 was by my side when i biffed it as i was rushing through the mud in 4 and a half feet of water. Boy did I get soaked... Haha i had to throw the bag of valubles at him and he came through with the catch of the day. Anyways be safe and tight lines gentlemen.

cranky
05-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Dont know if its old age or if its the ringing in my ears i got a few years back which doesnt go away. But i have to be real careful around flowing water. I get dizzy and feel like im going to fall in sometimes just standing on shore fishing.

Anyone else have that problem?

Lornce
05-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Some advice would be is to keep your valubles such as a phone, camera, or wallet someplace on shore you dont need them getting wet.

Zip lock bag takes care of that nicely.

Snowdog
05-08-2012, 01:32 PM
I dont fish but have chest waders for farm stuff (putting in pumps, retrieving beavers, etc) if im going in deep, waist +, i put on the pfd, if wife is helping usally i take one end of a 100' poly rope, she might not be able to pull me out of the mud but she can tie it to the quad or truck.

Drewski Canuck
05-08-2012, 01:53 PM
I regularly solo for Ducks in the fall, no dog, just me as the the big dumb retiever.

LESSON #1

Have a wading staff or stick or narrow long board. You can probe the bottom in front of you and get an idea of what's coming.

LESSON # 2

Cell phone in the Ziplock. If it is a button type keyboard, you can still call 911 if things go bad, through the plastic and the phone is dry.

LESSON # 3

A Wading belt is handy as you baloon up the waders filled with air, and can float somewhat. Your balance and ability to stand won't be great and you are now without support around your head and shoulders, which may drown you anyway.

Better idea, get a Mustang Inflatable Jacket, a MANUAL inflatable jacket. You can shoot with it on, fish with it on, etc., if need be you can pull the cord and float up very nicely when it inflates. this gives you balance to either peel off the waders or swim with the waders on to shallow water were you can stand.

Lucky for me I have learned the hard way a few times, and lived to realize the precautions that can make a big difference.

Lucky for everyone else that we can swap these tips so you don't have to go through what I have.

Drewski

BeeGuy
05-08-2012, 05:14 PM
great idea on the inflatable jackets.

wading is dangerous, especially in waters you are unfamiliar with and when visibility is poor.

plenty of people drown every year.

When I was 18 I thought I was going to drown in a creek. It was freestone and gravel bottom and as I crossed (shin deep), I broke through the gravel crust. underneath was a strata of liquified white clay which sucked me in. Literally like quick sand.

This was a small creek and the situation was one you would never expect. An older person, someone out of shape or with back-knee-hip-shoulder injuries may not have been able to free themselves.

The only way to prepare for the unexpected is to always be wearing your safety gear.