PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Verado Break In

gramps73
05-05-2012, 09:08 AM
I have been doing a little reading in the last couple of days in the anticipation of the new boat coming home this week.
With the question comes many answers, how did some of you break in you new motors..

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Im just in the process of doing so my self . I read the manual after reading break in procedure , I basically loaded boat up we went out a few weeks ago , but due to poor weather I didn't really give it a good tune in . I will be coming south this week and plan on fishing more reservoir's .

I will continue to do so .

Basically we did some trolling and I changed the speed probably why we didn't catch anything , making sure to not stay on any speed for more then 4 or 5 minutes , then switch it up but not going past 3/4 quarter throttle . Thats basically what I got from reading the procedure manual .

Team Beef
05-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Break the motor in by varying your RPM for 10 minutes at a time.
Boost or drop RPM's by at least 600 at a time. Idle to Full throttle. Best to wait a bit before you hit the max RPM well on plane.
Do not worry about hitting the throttle to full when getting on to plane, just vary the RPM once there.
Also vary load, trim down to on plane. Works the engine load / leg gears to break them in also.
You will need to put about 5 hours of varying motor use before the break in chip releases. Expect to burn more fuel during the break in time. You will notice when the chip has burned out !!

Good luck, see you on the water.

cube
05-05-2012, 02:04 PM
It is VERY important to follow the Directions for the VERADO break in. DO NOT BABY IT during breakin. This is not true for most motors but is critical for the Verado. I would not expect to do much fishing the first time out as the verado has a fair bit of full throttle in the first day or two.

Good info is available here http://www.veradoclub.com/smf/

From the Manual
"Engine Break‑in Procedure
IMPORTANT: Failure to follow the engine break‑in procedures can
result in poor performance throughout the life of the engine and
can cause engine damage. Always follow break‑in procedures.
1. For the first two hours of operation, run the engine at varied
throttle settings up to 4500 RPM or at three‑quarter throttle,
and at full throttle for approximately one minute every ten
minutes.
2. For the next eight hours of operation, avoid continuous
operation at full throttle for more than five minutes at a time."

AGAIN with the verado do NOT baby it during the breakin. If you are getting the 4 cyclinder variant you can PM me your email and I will send you a copy of the manual (2010 version)