PDA

View Full Version : Remote hike in lakes in alberta/BC

neuffy22
05-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Hello, I'm looking to do a backpacking trip to a remote lake either in alberta or BC. Im looking for somewhere with good trout fly fishing. I would like a 20+ km hike in aswell. Any advice on lakes fitting this discription would be awesome!

I have been to Kakwa, Babette, Mariel, and Fortress lake.

BeeGuy
05-05-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I really like Monashee Prov. Park, and always look forward to going back.

Late July is a good time for that one, especially if you want to get up Mt.Fosthall. Often it is still snowcovered the 3rd week of July.

jts1
05-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Marvel Lake is a nice hike and has some great fishing. You can hike the extra 6 km and try out Owl as well. Trail head starts on the south end of Spray Lakes "Mt Shark Trail Head" and heads to Mount Assiniboine. Bryant Creek Cabin is about half way, Its only a short 3 kn hike to the lake from the cabin every morn. I know that I am going to do it again this year. Take a full day to hike in and injoy myself, fish for two days and then another full day to hike out. That way I am not pushing myself on the hike can stop and smell the flowers along the way.

http://www.geodata.us/canada_names_maps/maps.php?featureid=IAGXC&f=259

http://www.outdooralberta.com/owl.php

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/activ33/jj.aspx

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=205353115332302720851.0004a994b321ce78c6be 3&msa=0&ll=50.890555,-115.529609&spn=0.022307,0.066047

Steve fly guy
05-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Check out Fortress lake, long hike in but worth it, trophy brook trout. Bc regs apply.

neuffy22
05-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the quick response and all the details!! All these lakes fit the bill. Ill be a little bit more specific for others: what im looking for is somewhere I can take a full day to hike to, possibly fishing rivers and streams along the way. Also I would like somewhere more remote so i dont need to put up with others noise and garbage. I find anything over 20 kms weeds out the disrespectful people. Also I will be bringing a belly boat so i will be able to fish the lake and not just from shore. Fortress lake (besides the popularity) and kakwa lake are perfect examples of the places i would like to go this summer.

also does anyone know where to get a provincial park fishing licsence? Do I need to go right to banff to get that?

Thanks again for the input, deffinatly going to look into marvel and owl lake.

jts1
05-05-2012, 04:33 PM
http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj253/jts1_album/Jeffs%20Home%20Vids/?action=view&current=marvellake2.mp4

Not the best vid ever but gives you an idea.

Fishfull Thinker..
05-05-2012, 04:37 PM
I would recommend barnaby lakes one of a few lakes in Alberta that holds the rare golden trout, located in the crowsnest area three lakes total but beware all tribes are closed.

neuffy22
05-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Marvel lake looks beautiful! Great fish aswell, deffinatly going to hit that this summer!

Golden trout? I've heard of them in the little smokey in near valley veiw I beileve. would love to catch one sometime. Pardon the stupidity but what does all tribes are closed mean??

thanks again!

fishpro
05-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Marvel lake looks beautiful! Great fish aswell, deffinatly going to hit that this summer!

Golden trout? I've heard of them in the little smokey in near valley veiw I beileve. would love to catch one sometime. Pardon the stupidity but what does all tribes are closed mean??

thanks again!

You might be thinking of grayling, there are only a few Golden Trout lakes in Alberta. Check out Coral and Michelle Lakes if you want a remote Golden Trout lake, the lakes in the south with them aren't as remote.

Marvel makes for a great trip, you can stay at either a backcountry campground or the shelter there, if you stay at the shelter you'll mostly likely see others, but the people I saw there last year were all great people.

All tribs closed means you can't fish the tributaries.

Fishfull Thinker..
05-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Yah I meant tribs (dam autocorrect ) barnaby is great but doesn't open till July 16.

npauls
05-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Ya if you want to get into golden trout you can head to barnaby but it isn't as remote as you had mentioned.

From what my buddy has told me it is only about a 3 hour hike in and there is often a few people up there.

The fish don't get big but they are the most colorful trout I have seen.

As soon as the doc gives me the go ahead to hike up there I will be planning a trip. I only have 2 fish left on the Alberta list to catch and one is the golden trout and the other is grayling. I would love to get both off of the list this summer but I don't know if that will happen.

CNR
05-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Fortress Lake is what your looking for by the sounds of it. The only annoyance we've ever had is the guide and his planes. Park licience needed for rivers on Alberta side and BC licience for Fortress Lake. You should be able to get all the licience online. Its a good hike with the belly boat on your back but worth it.

Fishfull Thinker..
05-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Barnaby is great during the week if you can.weekends can be a bit busy.

fish gunner
05-05-2012, 05:52 PM
I have not been. block lake would fit your bill . its in banff up the cascade river 40 odd k coral would be next. not sure if you pack mre's. you must be very well prept if you make 20k+ with a tube and a few days kit. my vest would be all I would end up with after 20k over rough going. find crypt in waterton park. it hold the odd good cuttie.

fish gunner
05-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Ya if you want to get into golden trout you can head to barnaby but it isn't as remote as you had mentioned.

From what my buddy has told me it is only about a 3 hour hike in and there is often a few people up there.

As soon as the doc gives me the go ahead to hike up there I will be planning a trip. I only have 2 fish left on the Alberta list to catch and one is the golden trout and the other is grayling. I would love to get both off of the list this summer but I don't know if that will happen.

for a guy with health issues,quarry lake in canmore is a perfect spot to chase sail fins.

npauls
05-05-2012, 06:15 PM
for a guy with health issues,quarry lake in canmore is a perfect spot to chase sail fins.

Thanks

I will have to look into it once I get enough extra cash to plan a trip like that. Maybe see if a few buddies want to get out with me to cut costs down a bit.

jts1
05-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks

I will have to look into it once I get enough extra cash to plan a trip like that. Maybe see if a few buddies want to get out with me to cut costs down a bit.

All you got to do is get here I have a place for ya to stay and will head out there with ya.

Scott N
05-05-2012, 06:20 PM
you could also try Bear Pond west of Nanton or Wedge Pond in Kananaskis off of Hwy 40 for grayling.

slivers86
05-05-2012, 06:22 PM

Which is the golden lake in the castle mountain region... I hear you can quad up to it.. just sayin'

npauls
05-05-2012, 06:37 PM
All you got to do is get here I have a place for ya to stay and will head out there with ya.

Sounds good to me. I will see what I can do once it warms up some more.

Which is the golden lake in the castle mountain region... I hear you can quad up to it.. just sayin'

Barnaby is the one in the castle area and I can't see you being able to quad up there. I have been to the trailhead and it looks pretty bushy and steep for that hike.

Traps
05-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Lost guide lake north of Rocky Mtn House. Hummingbird staging area then about 5 km in fish the South Ram river. Continue on to Ranger Creek and fish along the way. Then its up into a bowl into Lost Guide Lake, all toll 20 kms. Plane wreck is there too. Fish are cutts and maybe a surprise if your lucky enough.

Mariko's Rod
05-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Try picklejar lakes. The third and fourth out of the five lakes as you walk in on the trail are best. You will probably only see a couple other people if that. no big fish but lots. Its all you can eat as far as a hike goes. 2 hours straight up a mountian.

Fisher_man#1
05-05-2012, 09:47 PM
also does anyone know where to get a provincial park fishing licsence? Do I need to go right to banff to get that?

I believe what your asking is for a national park fishing license, as an Alberta license will allow you to fish in any provincial park. You can get a national parks fishing license at any of the national parks info centers in Banff, Jasper, Waterton ect.

As far as good long hikes Tombstone lake is a good +20km one that starts just above Elbow lake and is a circuit if i remember to another series of lakes. As for more info at Barrier info center in Kananaskis.

There are a whole bunch more great hike in lakes like Amethyst, Block, Mummy, Egypt, Pharaoh Talus, Three Isle, and Invincible lake to name a few. Ask at information centers in the parks and you will get great info and up-to-date trail reports, also pick up a copy of Barry Mitchell's Alberta fishing guide and read through its pages.

Cheers,

Bigwoodsman
05-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Lost guide lake north of Rocky Mtn House. Hummingbird staging area then about 5 km in fish the South Ram river. Continue on to Ranger Creek and fish along the way. Then its up into a bowl into Lost Guide Lake, all toll 20 kms. Plane wreck is there too. Fish are cutts and maybe a surprise if your lucky enough.

x2
Went in there several times about 20 years ago. Great fishing on the Ranger and South Ram. Good in late July/early August.

NUK SOO KOW
05-05-2012, 11:24 PM

There is no way to get a quad to these lakes.

slivers86
05-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Nuk, can you get near to it on a quad? Someone was saying something along these lines a while ago... could be a different lake in the area though I guess.

glen1971
05-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Amethyst Lake down the Tonquin Valley is supposed to be a pretty good trout lake, and is about an 18 km hike from the Edith Cavel Road trailhead...

NUK SOO KOW
05-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Nuk, can you get near to it on a quad? Someone was saying something along these lines a while ago... could be a different lake in the area though I guess.

You will be able to get to the trailheads on quad, but you will have to hike to the
Lakes.

billycap
05-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Kostal lake Wells grey park

Daceminnow
05-06-2012, 10:28 PM
I would recommend barnaby lakes one of a few lakes in Alberta that holds the rare golden trout, located in the crowsnest area three lakes total but beware all tribes are closed.

You will be able to get to the trailheads on quad, but you will have to hike to the
Lakes.

guys. i have recently heard there has been a new horse trial cut into this valley from the other side of the range. trail head near the ski hill. you guys know anything about this? thanks.

Dace

neuffy22
05-07-2012, 03:24 PM
You might be thinking of grayling, there are only a few Golden Trout lakes in Alberta. Check out Coral and Michelle Lakes if you want a remote Golden Trout lake, the lakes in the south with them aren't as remote.

Marvel makes for a great trip, you can stay at either a backcountry campground or the shelter there, if you stay at the shelter you'll mostly likely see others, but the people I saw there last year were all great people.

I could be mistaken, i have caught grayling before, however i heard a rumor that there were some golden trout in one of the rivers around grand cache area. Ill post when i have more information on that though!

Thanks alot for all the lakes!

Also if anyone is looking for someone to fish with send me a message! I live in cochrane and often spend my days fishing alone. (not that I mind, company just would be nice occaisonally.) Ill be heading out wendsday, to one of these lakes or possibly the bow in calgary so let me know if your interested!

Thanks.

ÜberFly
05-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Of course, make sure to check the regs as some of these areas (lakes) that have been suggested aren't open for fishing yet, nor are you allowed to camp, (random or other wise) have fires, etc. and that may influence your decision...

P

sheephunter
05-07-2012, 04:54 PM
I could be mistaken, i have caught grayling before, however i heard a rumor that there were some golden trout in one of the rivers around grand cache area. Ill post when i have more information on that though!

Thanks alot for all the lakes!

Also if anyone is looking for someone to fish with send me a message! I live in cochrane and often spend my days fishing alone. (not that I mind, company just would be nice occaisonally.) Ill be heading out wendsday, to one of these lakes or possibly the bow in calgary so let me know if your interested!

Thanks.

I seriouisly doubt any of the mountain lakes mentioned will be ice free yet and trails are likely pretty choked with snow. It's still winter up high.

neuffy22
05-07-2012, 05:28 PM
I seriouisly doubt any of the mountain lakes mentioned will be ice free yet and trails are likely pretty choked with snow. It's still winter up high.

Good point, Looking out and seeing green grass really makes you forget about the snow in the mountains.... heck i just went snowboarding in banff a week ago. Looks like the bow it is. Thanks.

As well I NEVER fish anywhere without reading up on the regs!

neuffy22
05-07-2012, 05:30 PM

also my stupidity I confused golden trout with a golden eye! My bad :thinking-006::bad_boys_20:

fishpro
05-07-2012, 05:47 PM
also my stupidity I confused golden trout with a golden eye! My bad :thinking-006::bad_boys_20:

lol you mean goldeye?

neuffy22
05-07-2012, 05:59 PM
lol you mean goldeye?
:sign0161:
haha yep again my bad! I havent heard anything about the fish besides seeing a picture of one from an old co worker. so I am very unfamilar with them. Actually to be honest I only really know Brookies, Browns, grayling, white fish, cutties and rainbows!

But I think a golden trout is next on the list... Beautiful fish. maybe a Goldeye one day!

HopperDropper
05-15-2012, 03:35 PM
you can get a BC license online and print it out, lickity split

HopperDropper
05-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Amethyst Lake in JNP is a beautiful hike into the iconic Tonquin Valley and neighbouring Moat Lake has a stellar rep as a great fly fishing spot when the wind is calm. I can't wait to get there this summer!