PDA

View Full Version : ssr around the hat

coearle
05-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Hi all, im looking to take my elderly father to the river next week. He has some mobility problems so im looking for an easily accesible location and none of my spots are. Any help would be great.

pikergolf
05-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Strathcona Park, but he's still going to have to walk a bit and get down a bank. Redcliff Park might be better, google earth it and have a look.

WayneChristie
05-05-2012, 04:44 PM
lots of brown water heading your way, just got back from lethbridge, both the Bow and Oldman are mucky, and the rain changed into a whole lotta wet heavy snow in Lethbridge. changed back to rain by Coaldale. must have been because I got a haircut. :angry3:

lone wolf
05-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Strathcona Park, but he's still going to have to walk a bit and get down a bank. Redcliff Park might be better, google earth it and have a look.

Check out Police Point Park as well. It is directly across from Strathcona Park, however is in on the inside of the river bend, so the banks by the park are gentler and more accessible. There is also a path right by the waters edge.

Mariko's Rod
05-05-2012, 09:39 PM
If you are up for an hour drive hit the forks. you can back ur truck right up to the bank and bait rig right off the tail gate.

WayneChristie
05-05-2012, 10:11 PM
If you are up for an hour drive hit the forks. you can back ur truck right up to the bank and bait rig right off the tail gate.

forks is going to be a total gong show this week, be lucky if you can get anywhere near the river. unless you hit it from my side of the river :sHa_shakeshout:

Dale S
05-05-2012, 10:14 PM

There are 6 campers down there as of Fri. I think the best fishing spots will be taken up by Tue for sure.

Mariko's Rod
05-05-2012, 10:32 PM
easy. easy. he said he wanted and easy spot to get a line wet with the old man not tap virgin trophy waters! lots of room down there if ur not afraid to get a little cozy.

npauls
05-05-2012, 10:36 PM
easy. easy. he said he wanted and easy spot to get a line wet with the old man not tap virgin trophy waters! lots of room down there if ur not afraid to get a little cozy.

You obviously haven't been down there when it is busy or when the river rises.

The channel that you normally drive through will soon be full of water and if it isn't there will probably be people shoulder to shoulder down there looking for sturgeon and walleyes.

Dale S
05-05-2012, 10:39 PM
I am afraid of getting a little cozy.

Mariko's Rod
05-05-2012, 10:40 PM
yes I have been down there when its busy. and no the channel wont be full of water. the water is no where near high enough and there is no rain in the forcast for the rest of the week.

WayneChristie
05-05-2012, 10:41 PM
2 or 3 shore fishermen with decent sturgeons on at once isnt cozy, its frikkin insane :sHa_shakeshout: can you say tangle????

WayneChristie
05-05-2012, 10:42 PM
yes I have been down there when its busy. and no the channel wont be full of water. the water is no where near high enough and there is no rain in the forcast for the rest of the week.

the Bow and the Oldman were both getting pretty full when I drove over them today, and its been raining off and on all day. (and snowing) they are going to be rising pretty good tonight

Mariko's Rod
05-05-2012, 10:47 PM
that will all have run thru in the next couple of days. will be good water till late may with an earlier run off than usuall.

Dale S
05-05-2012, 10:51 PM
This next week or so is when they usually open up the gates on the Oldman River dam. By May long its close to peaking.By July long the river levels are back to normalThere is a good snow pack this year,should see lots of water.

WayneChristie
05-05-2012, 10:51 PM
I will likely be checking it out Wednesday after work I will post what I see down there

npauls
05-05-2012, 11:10 PM
I have no doubt that the forks will be high water anytime now. The river in Lethbridge is getting dirty and high and it won't take long for that to hit the forks.

The forks has 2 rivers to deal with so it can get real dirty and high there and if they open up the oldman dam and st.mary dam like mentioned by Dago it will fill up quick. If you can get onto the island there will be quite a few fisherman.

I would look for some other easy access spots. That spot is hit pretty hard and almost always has a few people with a line in the water.

Check out google earth and look for places that you can drive really close to the river bank and see if you get out there to chuck a line. There is plenty of spots long the SSR river system that will provide plenty of fish.

Shawnlh
05-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Posted this before but here ya go.....http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=51381&d=1335997301

slivers86
05-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Posted this before but here ya go.....http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=51381&d=1335997301

Not fair! I wanna know how you get crystal clear water in your favorite spot, but the guys upstream have to deal with that muddy crap :fighting0030:

Dale S
05-06-2012, 01:10 PM
The muddy water is down steam.

tigar
05-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Just wondering if it would be possible to use an outboard engine on the SSR, or would it not be recomended?

Dale S
05-10-2012, 11:37 AM
There are spots you can run a outboard.You wount be able to run long pieces of the river there are lots of shallow spots and they will get you.The last place you want to break down at is the middle of nowwhere.