PDA

View Full Version : Pickeral/Walleye fishing south of Calgary??

Calgary Fisherman
05-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Hey guys

I'm gearing up with some buds for the first fishing trip this year

Seems like my favorite spot, travers is closed
Looks like maybe a area is open but it's hard figuring out what's going on in
the fishing regulations

What's recommended south of Calgary??
I was thinking PCR for catch and release but would be nice to bring one home
It's also a prime time for fishing with the moon cycle this weekend

Any suggestions is appreciated
Cheers everyone to a new fishing season

npauls
05-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Just the west arm of Travers is closed for an extra month. The rest of the lake is open on may 8th. If you want to go there and fish give it a shot. The dock area is open to fish if you want to shore fish.

Someone on here had mentioned that they were putting out no fishing floats so that everyone knows where the closed section begins.

Another spot to try might be macgregor for eyes.

Other then that I don't know of any other lakes south of Calgary other then pcr which I am not to sure when it opens up again.

Mariko's Rod
05-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Just the west arm of Travers is closed for an extra month. The rest of the lake is open on may 8th. If you want to go there and fish give it a shot. The dock area is open to fish if you want to shore fish.

Someone on here had mentioned that they were putting out no fishing floats so that everyone knows where the closed section begins.

Another spot to try might be macgregor for eyes.

Other then that I don't know of any other lakes south of Calgary other then pcr which I am not to sure when it opens up again.

what do you mean by dock area?

gl2
05-05-2012, 09:40 PM
I am pretty sure he is talking about the dock at LBPP.

npauls
05-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Yup that is exactly where I am talking about. They left that area open so that the shore fishermen have somewhere to go that is easily accessible for fishing.

Mariko's Rod
05-05-2012, 09:58 PM
oh ok, just checked the regs. thats gonna throw a few people off. im pretty familiar with that area and wouldn't be able to dial that in unless i was on the dock with my reg book in hand!

npauls
05-05-2012, 10:10 PM
There is some floats that are marked as a no fishing area so it shouldn't be to bad.

It will be interesting to see how many people get busted fishing up that west arm before it opens.

Calgary Fisherman
05-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Ok
Thanks for clearing that up

Is the fishing open by the inlet coming from Mcgregor??
Gathering it is since that's east side of the lake

Im still trying to figure out sweet spots by Mcgregor for on shore fishing
Tried my luck on the rocks area and just the odd fish

No crazy fishing like the inlet on travers east side.

ogre
05-06-2012, 08:25 PM
There is some floats that are marked as a no fishing area so it shouldn't be to bad.

It will be interesting to see how many people get busted fishing up that west arm before it opens.

Is my geographical interpretation correct?
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w378/Ogre2012/TraversClosedSection.jpg

MoFugger21
05-06-2012, 08:59 PM

Travers Reservoir
that portion west of SW 2-15-22-W4 (North of a line from the farm building to Little Bow Provincial Park pumphouse on the east).
June 1 to Mar. 15 – Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10.
Mar. 16 to May 31 – CLOSED

It's pretty poorly worded(as usual), but I think your red line should go from the farm yard (the 'southern' part of your red line boundary) and head straight east towards the camp ground. That's how I read it anyways.

ogre
05-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Where IS the pumphouse?

*Edit*
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w378/Ogre2012/TraversClosedSection2.jpg

MoFugger21
05-06-2012, 09:11 PM

Travers Reservoir
that portion west of SW 2-15-22-W4 (North of a line from the farm building to Little Bow Provincial Park pumphouse on the east).
June 1 to Mar. 15 – Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10.
Mar. 16 to May 31 – CLOSED

It's pretty poorly worded(as usual), but I think your red line should go from the farm yard (the 'southern' part of your red line boundary) and head straight east towards the camp ground. That's how I read it anyways.

In case my explanation doesn't make sense, this is how I interpret it...

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61/MoFugger21/Traversboundary.jpg

npauls
05-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Your red line should angle a bit more east from the farm house to that green coulee piece or maybe even a bit further if I remember right.

Like it was mentioned before. You will see the no fishing zone marked with floats.

ogre
05-06-2012, 09:20 PM
OK, I see my edited map is more similar to yours now. The dock is still well inside the open section of water.
Thanks Gents. :)

Calgary Fisherman
05-09-2012, 04:06 AM
Headed fishing at Travers tomorrow

Let you guys know how it goes
Excited to get out first time this season plus
Take my truck for its first road trip. Just bought it

Rustomatic
05-09-2012, 10:58 PM
i was checking out the regs and it said you have to be so far away from the inlet, is that the buoyed of section, or am i suppose to be further away from the structure,

Calgary Fisherman
05-10-2012, 05:32 PM
I avoid the inlet and stick to the lake
Or I fish on the outside of the net
Fish and wildlife didn't give any crap to the guys right next to the damn inlet
I was surprised

Fishing report posted for Travers May 9th
Cheers guys. Had an absolute blast there